Plese Critique my listing in Houston

Answered!
Scott1957
Level 2
Houston, TX

Plese Critique my listing in Houston

Hello, I am new to Airbnb . I am looking for any input I can get on my listing. I am trying for longer booking of around 30 days. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks

Link: https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/982789387431677804

Listing's link added by OCM

1 Best Answer
Lorina14
Level 10
Bellevue, WA

Hi @Scott1957!

I agree with the other comments - you have a cool, unusual home and you may want to take pics for placement, reconsider having pets (art may break), and add captions to tell of your home.  

I remember another listing that highlighted their art. They described that they collected art on their travels as every piece had a story.  They also highlighted a few pieces of art in their captions. 

Something to think about is the more objects you have in a space, the more places for dust to collect.  I remember an air duct cleaner guy who told me this when we first moved into our home and came back after 2 years. He said you have more things and therefore more dust. I realized that for my airbnb it is easier to clean when you have less areas for dust to collect. While I marveled at the art in your space, I wondered about the dusting for every piece of art and frame that may need to be done. I’m always amazed how much dust is under the bed after only 4-7 days on a hardwood floor.

Some suggestions:

1) People always like savings. It’s human nature. Perhaps putting a higher price with a discount for the monthly rate.  Since you have a 30 day minimum, there is no savings and you already offer a low rate. While I appreciate this, people love the crossed out price with a discount. You may want to make sure the price you offer will cover the utility bill for the space (some people like their heat on high!).

Have you done the market research on similar listings in your area, their amenities and how much they are charging? You can find this in the calendar tab, then click on a date range on the calendar, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the tab for similar listings that are booked during this time and similar listings that are unbooked during this time. You can check out reviews for similar listings to see if you are missing some key amenities or special touches that guests appreciate.

Perhaps a higher rate of 27 nights and 28 or more offer a discount? Airbnb says a monthly discount applies to 28 days or more. Discounts are suggested to be a minimum of 28% of the nightly rate to entice longer renters.  Do remember that weekly, monthly discounts and promotional discounts you set will stack together on each other (I made a mistake early on and cost me a few hundred dollars in a booking (they got it for $2000 instead of $2350 or $2450) because of a monthly rate vs monthly discount so the discount went on the rate (this option is no longer available to set min monthly rates so no worries for you)).

2) Maybe add some lounging chairs or a small patio set in the backyard to make it inviting to hang out there. You have a lovely yard with some great art there!

3) Consider adding more info in your listing about the space about distance to attractions (how many miles it is from the park, the downtown, the neighborhood shops, grocery store, key restaurants, local attractions, along with approx time to drive or walk there) and what bus lines service the area.

4) Please add some captions about the art and the back story about it - people love story telling and the people attracted to a place like yours would appreciate not only the art but the history/inspiration for it - I know I would!

5) Is your place a studio or a 1 bedroom/bath? It is not clear from your listing. It appears it is a 1 bedroom 1 bath from the pics. You may want to use the word guest house as that is more inviting than studio. And a studio is only one room with everything in it (which doesn’t appear to be your case).

6) What do you mean owners are on premise? You may want to clarify this for people so they don’t assume the worst.  For our listing I have stated that, “Your guest suite is beside our home with a separate private entrance and a patio for you to enjoy.  You may see us outside watering plants in the AM or EVE but stay away from the area when we have guests.” I also state we don’t have pets but have a curious 4 yo who may want to say hello if he sees you. So people know what to expect. If guests dislike kids or being on the premise with us here, then they will not book. It helps to avoid misunderstandings and bad reviews from people who have a different expectations when booking.

You could state your guest home is located behind or beside our home about 300 feet away with a separate backyard. While we love to meet guests, we stay away from the guest area when we have guests.

Do you share the backyard? Do you have a pet that may greet them? Some people love this and most listings I have seen state you may be greeted by our cat Freddie or you may see our golden retriever outside in the yard occasionally, etc. These small details help and for pet lovers or people who appreciate pets but can’t have them currently they may want the pet interaction 😊

If you have a gardener or outside work happening, always let your guests know (I’ve seen reviews where the owner didn’t let someone know the outside was going to be painted when they were staying at the airbnb). We state garbage pickup is on Monday AM’s about 7am and while you are in the back of the house, it may be nice for light sleepers to know of potential noise.

Good luck and feel free to message me if you have any questions! 

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11

@Scott1957 

Hello Scott! 

Welcome to Airbnb!  For starters... WOW!!  You are not kidding, you have some art work!! What a wonderful place and Airbnb listing you have!

I have a few thoughts and suggestions: 

30 Day Bookings 

I completely support your desire to book for only 30 days or longer.  My partner Rodrigo and I host our home in Oaxaca, Mexico.  We have been hosting for just over a year, and  we only allow bookings for 30 days or longer.  Given the unique type of home we have, we don't want to be checking people in  or out every few days.  A 30 day or longer booking  works for us.  

We tried  bookings for just 10 days or 2 weeks, but the quality of guests really changed.  Those that stay a month or longer tend to be either working remotely or those doing language programs in Oaxaca. 

We do not allow instant booking.  We have a list of questions to ask potential guests prior to booking.  Our place is very unique, and we want to make sure they understand the layout and the house rules before we accept their booking request. 

Your listing

You have done a really nice job with your listing and photos.  Again your place looks amazing! I have a question, is your place a studio or a 1 bedroom or is it a 1 bedroom with a "art studio"?   Is the bedroom in a separate room?  Your listing says house, but it also says studio...

I couldn't really tell from your photos, but I would be super clear with your description of the house.  

I would suggest that you add some more information to your description, you have such beautiful pieces of art, tell the readers about a piece or two. Also describe the gardens, and the art work in the gardens.  

I have written a Community Guide to help others with their Listing Description.  I encourage Hosts to tell a story with their listing.   Take a look at it, it may give you some ideas to add to your listing.  (or not). 

The link is:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Guides/GUIDE-Tips-To-Improve-Your-Listing/td-p/1841028

I like your title: Art and Garden Home / Central Houston, but I think it could be tweaked just a bit... just to really sell what your home is all about!

Maybe: "Art Aficionado  Home and Gardens - Central Houston"  or  "Art Collectors Home and Garden - Central Houston"  or  something.. let me think of some other suggestions for you. 

When we first stated hosting, it took us a  while to get the listing just right, it was a work in progress.   I am still making small nips and tucks to our listing a year later.  

Remember it's an Airbnb

One of the things my partner Rodrigo and I always say...  "Remember it's and Airbnb".  We have purchased antiques in Mexico and want to put them in the house... we always ask ourselves.. "if this got broken or something happened to it.. would we be ok?"   Sure we have paintings and other beautiful things in the house, but we are mindful, especially with small things that are on tables and could easily disappear.   We have never had anything walk out the door, but we are careful. 

This is the link to our place in Oaxaca if you want to take a look: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/650711786712532742?guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=f5d16f33-bfb7...

Again, you have a beautiful home and I am sure you will attract guests who really appreciate your art collection and your home!   Feel free to ask us questions as you start your Airbnb journey! 

Best, 

John and Rodrigo 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Thank you so much for this, @John7474 😍. I am sure your feedback will provide some additional ideas to @Scott1957 

I am also reaching out to some of our lovely Hosts to see if they would like to share their feedback. @Marisa182 @Melanie318 @Cheri354 and @Lorina14 

All the best 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Thank you very much. 

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

Hi @Scott1957 

As @John7474 said WOW!  I have a few concerns:

1.  Your low nightly price will attract the wrong type of guest. Your beautiful artwork and pieces deserve guests who will appreciate it and willing to pay more per night. 

2. Pets should be a no-no. Art collectibles on coffee table, end tables and night stands can easily get broken. 

3. There is a lot of nice stuff and art could be stolen. Please make sure your homeowners insurance cover your rental and artwork. 

Just my 2 cents. 

@Gwen386 , thank you very much for your response. I appreciate your insights. 

Cheri354
Level 10
Helena-West Helena, AR

@Scott1957     Your listing looks amazing !! I love creative artsy/eclectic with lots of color 🎨 🙂 I'm sure you'll do well.

I'm not sure how one goes about advertising for 30+ day guests...is that a challenge ? Are you in contact with traveling business personnel ? are you near larger corporations who frequently require employees to stay nearby ? Have you registered with a local hospital for their traveling nurses program ?

As far as your lovely decor, do take photos so placement of things won't be forgotten (as things have a tendency to sprout legs and move sometimes). Smaller items can be somewhat secured with museum putty. It will at least slow things down if someone is tempted to relocate an item 🙂

For 30+ days, do you as the host revisit for a friendly recheck/stop in ? Will guests want a housekeeping refresh weekly or do you determine that the guest is responsible for that ? Will consumable goods be restocked during a stay or just go with the starter group of t.p., soap, etc ?

Will linens be washed by guests ?

Best wishes~

Lorina14
Level 10
Bellevue, WA

Hi @Scott1957!

I agree with the other comments - you have a cool, unusual home and you may want to take pics for placement, reconsider having pets (art may break), and add captions to tell of your home.  

I remember another listing that highlighted their art. They described that they collected art on their travels as every piece had a story.  They also highlighted a few pieces of art in their captions. 

Something to think about is the more objects you have in a space, the more places for dust to collect.  I remember an air duct cleaner guy who told me this when we first moved into our home and came back after 2 years. He said you have more things and therefore more dust. I realized that for my airbnb it is easier to clean when you have less areas for dust to collect. While I marveled at the art in your space, I wondered about the dusting for every piece of art and frame that may need to be done. I’m always amazed how much dust is under the bed after only 4-7 days on a hardwood floor.

Some suggestions:

1) People always like savings. It’s human nature. Perhaps putting a higher price with a discount for the monthly rate.  Since you have a 30 day minimum, there is no savings and you already offer a low rate. While I appreciate this, people love the crossed out price with a discount. You may want to make sure the price you offer will cover the utility bill for the space (some people like their heat on high!).

Have you done the market research on similar listings in your area, their amenities and how much they are charging? You can find this in the calendar tab, then click on a date range on the calendar, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the tab for similar listings that are booked during this time and similar listings that are unbooked during this time. You can check out reviews for similar listings to see if you are missing some key amenities or special touches that guests appreciate.

Perhaps a higher rate of 27 nights and 28 or more offer a discount? Airbnb says a monthly discount applies to 28 days or more. Discounts are suggested to be a minimum of 28% of the nightly rate to entice longer renters.  Do remember that weekly, monthly discounts and promotional discounts you set will stack together on each other (I made a mistake early on and cost me a few hundred dollars in a booking (they got it for $2000 instead of $2350 or $2450) because of a monthly rate vs monthly discount so the discount went on the rate (this option is no longer available to set min monthly rates so no worries for you)).

2) Maybe add some lounging chairs or a small patio set in the backyard to make it inviting to hang out there. You have a lovely yard with some great art there!

3) Consider adding more info in your listing about the space about distance to attractions (how many miles it is from the park, the downtown, the neighborhood shops, grocery store, key restaurants, local attractions, along with approx time to drive or walk there) and what bus lines service the area.

4) Please add some captions about the art and the back story about it - people love story telling and the people attracted to a place like yours would appreciate not only the art but the history/inspiration for it - I know I would!

5) Is your place a studio or a 1 bedroom/bath? It is not clear from your listing. It appears it is a 1 bedroom 1 bath from the pics. You may want to use the word guest house as that is more inviting than studio. And a studio is only one room with everything in it (which doesn’t appear to be your case).

6) What do you mean owners are on premise? You may want to clarify this for people so they don’t assume the worst.  For our listing I have stated that, “Your guest suite is beside our home with a separate private entrance and a patio for you to enjoy.  You may see us outside watering plants in the AM or EVE but stay away from the area when we have guests.” I also state we don’t have pets but have a curious 4 yo who may want to say hello if he sees you. So people know what to expect. If guests dislike kids or being on the premise with us here, then they will not book. It helps to avoid misunderstandings and bad reviews from people who have a different expectations when booking.

You could state your guest home is located behind or beside our home about 300 feet away with a separate backyard. While we love to meet guests, we stay away from the guest area when we have guests.

Do you share the backyard? Do you have a pet that may greet them? Some people love this and most listings I have seen state you may be greeted by our cat Freddie or you may see our golden retriever outside in the yard occasionally, etc. These small details help and for pet lovers or people who appreciate pets but can’t have them currently they may want the pet interaction 😊

If you have a gardener or outside work happening, always let your guests know (I’ve seen reviews where the owner didn’t let someone know the outside was going to be painted when they were staying at the airbnb). We state garbage pickup is on Monday AM’s about 7am and while you are in the back of the house, it may be nice for light sleepers to know of potential noise.

Good luck and feel free to message me if you have any questions! 

@Lorina14 Excellent ideas!!! I will work on implementing them on Monday. 
it is technically a studio, with a wall separating the spaces, but not doors on either side and next to impossible to add due to electrical etc. 

any ideas of better wording is much appreciated. Thanks

Hi @Scott1957 ! I know wording can be everything in a title and I chose the wording for our Airbnb private brand new garden suite initially for the first 4 months then changed it to private new garden suite after. Perhaps private art afficinado peaceful retreat steps away from the historic downtown. Or something like that would be helpful.  Suite sounds better than studio; or you could say cozy private artist retreat. 

@Scott1957 Whoops typo!  Private peaceful art aficionado retreat

I also agree with others to leave some space for your guests to spread out.

I don’t recall if you have a desk and chair for a workspace? Many people want this for remote work as well as a high speed connection. Some digital nomads spend a month here and there to explore a city.

Melanie318
Level 10
Interlochen, MI

Hi @Scott1957 ! Your place does look amazing! I have a few thoughts and I look at things at tad different, having spent 30 years in the hotel world before I left that to buy my bed and breakfast. 

First of all, do you know your local laws about 30 day rentals?? This is huge. I say this because in my state at 30 days the guest becomes a resident. All of their taxes are returned to them and they become tax free from that day forward. 

Second, to evict them if they choose not to leave on time you have to go to court and file eviction paperwork. The law is on their side, they get to stay in your home until the court agrees to evict them. Even if they choose to stop paying the rent, you can not lock them out. They have a right to stay until the court orders them to leave. 

SO while I understand wanting long term rentals, do you know the laws that pertain to your area and the procedures to evict someone if they choose not to leave? 

Second, I am an artist, I do mostly glass pieces, so I truly appreciate all of the art you have in your home. However, I would not book your house because of all of the art. I have an allergy to dust and I know that having that much artwork brings on dust, not anyones fault, just the nature of it. 

Also I did read in someone else's comments that you don't know about what make come up missing or more likely get damaged. Accidents happen and you need to be sure that everything you put in a short term rental is something you would not be heart broken if it gets destroyed. 

That being said, maybe you take a few pieces of art that you highlight in your space and you tell the history/story behind them. 

Art& Garden Home/Central Houston really tells me very little about your space. Your one line title needs to be the selling line to get me to want to click and learn more. By reading it I think I get a home with a garden to enjoy. Which really is not the case. Its a studio or guest suite type of location. A home implies multiple spaces for me to enjoy. In flipping through your pictures I actually see very little useable space for me to use. I am also a genealogist,  besides being a short term rental host, so when I go on vacation I travel with my computer, my research books, my booking calendar etc and I like to set up a mini office area I can work at while I am enjoying my time exploring the area.  I really didn't see an area that I could set up my "office" and leave it up and running while I stayed in your home. 

My husband and I love to enjoy the local cuisine/food specialities of the area. But we love to also cook while we are on vacation. So we are always looking for listings that offer full kitchens, grills, etc. I have some food allergies, so eating in restaurants isn't always as easy/enjoyable for me. So we tend to go to the local farmers markets, butchers, etc, get the fresh seafood/local meats and bring it home and prepare a meal. It would be wonderful to do that and have dinner in your garden, if there was a place to sit and enjoy it while we took in the atmosphere you have created. 

I am on oxygen so I travel with a portable supply of oxygen and cords, back up batteries, etc. I have to say that I would be leary to rent a house with so many items on display as I would be worried that my oxygen cord might get pulled across the coffee table and knock something off. 

Please look at your rental home as just that, a rental home. Leave me space to make it "my home" for the the brief time I am there to enjoy it. We love to sit and enjoy an evening movie and a glass of wine with some local foods at the end of our days when we are on vacation. I didn't see an area that I could do that. The coffee tables have beautiful artwork on them,  but there is no space for me to set up my cheese/meat tray, snacks so we can enjoy a snack and a movie. Does that make sense? 

None of the things I or anyone in this group say are meant to hurt your feelings, so please don't take it that way. Just trying to get you to look at your space in a different way.  I am coming to your home to make it "my home" for a brief time and to use it to take care of my business, etc. I need space to do that. 

You could attract visiting professors, nurses etc that are there for 2-3 months at a time. We have traveling nurses that come to the local hospital here on 3 months intrevals so they rent houses for their stay. I have an international art academy 4 miles from my home that has artists/instructors/teachers from all over the world travel in to teach through out the year. They are looking for a space where they can have room to prepare their lesson plans, to grade their students work, etc. Most of them that stay with me say they get tired of eating out and like that they can sit out on their private deck and take in a meal and enjoy the local wildlife. I live in Northern Michigan on a 1000 acre lake that happens to be a sanctioned wildlife habitat. So we have herons, loons, nesting bald eagles, bears, coyotes, foxes, Canadian geese, etc that make their home on the lake. In the summer your morning wake up call is from the loons. The white tail deer will be in the yard eating all of the flowers I plant 😞  but they are beautiful to watch. 

The other thing about having so much artwork in your home is it is going to make the space appear smaller.  Leaving some open wall spaces, counter top spaces, etc. will make the room feel bigger to the guests. 

Hope this makes sense! Best of luck with your hosting!