Pricing

Michelle3395
Level 1
Washago, Canada

Pricing

Hi Everyone,

I am having an issue with the pricing. When I look at my listing as a guest, the pricing is significantly higher than what I have it set at. When I choose a date and number of guests and click reserve, it shows it lower BUT still higher than the set price?????This will discourage many quests from even exploring my listing. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks so much!!

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Michelle3395 Its not clear if you are accounting for the cleaning fee, guest service fee, and any taxes increasing your nightly rates or if the issue is stranger than that.

Thanks Mike!!!

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Michelle3395  I had the problem a couple of years ago with higher rates being set when specific dates were not entered (i.e. when the guest was just browsing for properties in the area). Since they don’t have actual dates, CS told me that what they do is look at the next 7 days from the present, regardless of whether the days are already booked, take an average, and this is the price they display. It’s quite misleading, especially if you have lowered your price since the booking was made, as some of us have because of market saturation, etc.

I’m not sure if this is still the algorithm Airbnb is using, but I think it would be better to use the next 7 unbooked nights to calculate the average. Especially with dynamic pricing, prices change all the time.

What price do you think you have set? I am showing $275 per night for your listing.

Choosing dates should work the way you expect. Do you have Airbnb’s dynamic pricing or some other dynamic pricing API turned on? Another idea is to clear your browser cache to make sure it isn’t holding on to some previous price or setting.

Thanks very much for your reply!!

Have a super afternoon.

@Pat271 I have it set at 275 USD per night. When I look at it as a guest, I see 443 CAN per night (which is not the conversion). When I click on reserve it says 377 CAN per night, which is about right with the conversion to USD. I don't believe I have the dynamic pricing on, I will check and will clear my browser cache as well. Thanks for your help.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The mysteries of pricing are already covered below, but while here, a question for you @Michelle3395.

You have a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom place (lovely btw), but allows 6 to come (at the same price). I wonder why, since the natural thought is that it is a place for 2 couples. In the case that more than 4 want to come, like in a 6-person family, perhaps best to say: ' ..place is geared toward 4 person, but can accommodate up to 6 persons depending on group composition'.

This give you a lot more control over your place, better than allowing 6 people trying to stuff the place 'on the cheap'. ($275 / 6 = $45 each).

Just a thought.

Thanks so much Fred. 

I will definitely make that change!!

Cool @Michelle3395. It is quite slick, they now first ask - 'thinking of bringing grandparents or friends of our kids, etc. - and gives you more of an opportunity to check/help them with logistics.

It also 'allows' you to be on IB, IF you so wish. We are (for 4 years now) and has worked surprisingly well with this ask-before-bringing-more person approach.

Your place really promises to do well. Your photo sequence is excellent: you show where (building)you be staying (not sleeping) > the attractive surroundings > lastly indoors (where you be eating/sleeping). Very well done.