Property management company, co-host or co-host team?

Property management company, co-host or co-host team?

Hi everyone.
I'm new here and after quite a lot reading and researching I still cannot find an answer to my question. I hope you can help me.
I have the opportunity to start managing few properties for short-term rentals (with the idea the properties to become more with time) and I'm not sure what will be the best way to do that. To list them under the name of a company (this way as far as I understood Airbnb's commission will be about 14-20%), to be a co-host for each of them (this way each owner should have an account, right?) or to make a co-host team and list all the properties under that team's name (and the owners to be like co-host so they can have an access to check how the reservations go)? What are the advantages and disadvantages for each of the options? If I want to have full control (like manage prices, contact with guests, list the property, manage all the income/outcome) what should I choose?
Thank you in advance.

31 Replies 31

Hey @Paul1255 - great reply! 

A large property management company is currently managing my condo and I believe it's listed under their business profile.  I'm considering switching to a new management company - is there any way that I can keep my user reviews? 

I asked the current management company to list me as a co-host, but was told that "We are under a bulk account with Airbnb so all our properties are under one host.", which appears to be legitimate based on your response to @Kate1817  - any advice for me?

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Hans902 

There’s no way for you to keep the reviews your property has built up with your current management company if it’s been listed by them directly unfortunately 😞

You can ask your new management company to list you as a co-host if it’s something they can facilitate- but even then you won’t keep the reviews that the listing builds up.

The only way to keep all the reviews associated with a listing is when it’s listed under your own account and you’re the listing admin (the person who owns the account the listing was created on)

A large management company wouldn’t take on your property on that basis, but a smaller operator or experienced airbnb co-host would.

Hi @Paul1255, I came across your comment when doing a search.  Would you please be willing to share your thoughts with me on the reasons for listing or not under your own name, or listing under the host's account and then adding yourself as a co-host? Feel free to message me @shanna83. Thank you in advance for your time and efforts.

Agree with this

send me your email and I can discuss this with you. Where are you located?

I cannot reach my inbox.. I get message that says "Access denied. You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action."
Can anyone help?

@Daniela1596  What do you mean, your "Inbox"? If another poster says they'll message you, you would find that message by clicking on the envelop symbol on the top bar of this forum. If you have no Airbnb hosting or guest account, you won't have an Inbox.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Daniela1596 ,

I just had a look on your profile and tweaked something under the hood. Can you let me know if you can access the inbox now?

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie 
Hi, Stephanie.
Yes, now I can reach it. And by "inbox" I meant the one in the forum here.
Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Daniela

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for confirming @Daniela1596 !

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Anna2417
Level 2
Zug, Switzerland

@Daniela1596 it would be very useful if you shared what you've chosen and why. I'm managing only one apartment at the moment but I'm considering expanding and hearing what you've learned would be very helpful for me and others in a similar situation 🙂 

Ken2092
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

I'm curious, do hosts/cohosts lease properties to put on Airbnb, where the profit from Airbnb is bigger than the cost of leasing?

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

You asked the same question  on another thread @Ken2092  have answered you there.

Hi Everyone 🙂

We have found ourselves in a situation where we employed someone to set up an airbnb account in my name, add themselves as a co-host, and now they have announced they are leaving.

We have previously been managing our properties 'the old school way' with the exception to our airbnb account managed by this person, set up in our behalf.

We're restructuring our business, to use other OTA's and booking agents, and in the process we wanted to link up our Airbnb account.

However, gaining access to this has been an ongoing issue, and they have now disabled the listings apparently.

Let me reiterate, the account was setup in my name, and they were a co-host, we just don't have access. Is there anything we can do?

Many thanks!