Random Unblocking Of Calendar

Rose1430
Level 1
Seattle, WA

Random Unblocking Of Calendar

My calendar keeps being randomly unblocked. The first time I thought it was personal error but it happened again today and I just lost over $20 per night for 4 nights in June because it randomly unblocked like 10 days and apparently decided on what the price would be. I know this issue hasn't been resolved because I'm seeing discussion boards about this from 2016.

Does anyone have any advice on this or how to bring this issue up to AirBnB? Has anyone experienced this and tried to do something about it? This is super uncool. I'm already the type to double, triple, quadruple check things all the time and I guess now I have to check my calendar every hour? 

21 Replies 21
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Pam2061 @Carolyn760 , I am sorry to hear about your experience with cancellations and that you are not satisfied with how they are dealt with. 

@Pam2061 Can you please help confirm your issue just so that I am sure? Are you having a blocked calendar after a cancellation?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thanks for getting back to us @Bhumika! I'm sure you will hear from Pam too.

The problem is that dates that we have blocked are randomly unblocked on our calendars. If you also happen to use auto-book (as suggested by Airbnb), and someone books, then we (the hosts) get fined and can lose superhost status if we cancel the reservation. 

This has been an ongoing problem for years and Airbnb doesn't seem to want to fix it. I have not had it happen for a while, but I also do not use auto-book for this reason. Pam had it happen this week. 

Hope this helps. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Carolyn760 @Pam2061 Thank you for elaborating this one for me and sorry for not getting back to you on this earlier.

I had shared this feedback with the team but next time this issue happens with either of you, can you please help me by sharing a video demonstrating the issue or a screenshot so that I can pass it further? Please feel free to tag me here or share the instance through a direct message to me!

This will help the tech team to dig into the issue when the issue actively exists on a calendar. 

@Pam2061 I read that you had a booking in mid-august that happened due to calendar unblocking. Is the booking still there? Can you send me a screenshot so that I can pass it forward?

-----

The screen shot from October is more telling…you can see the entire month is blocked. My August was the same, but Anne-Marie booked, and rather than cancel, I opened up the first part of the month. I’ve now been docked $100 for the 2 instantaneous cancellations I made in October. 😕

IMG_7181.png

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Pam2061, Thank you for sharing! If I need any more information or relay an update, I will keep you posted via DM.

-----

What is happening is that my blocked calendar becomes mysteriously "unblocked", and someone books a date during that time. So far I am being docked $50 on my next booking. I've spoken 3 times on the phone to airbnb support, and have exchanged many messages. They deny it's on their end. I check my calendar constantly. It's very frustrating. It never happened to me until "recently."...I'd say the first time was a few months ago...now I have a random guest coming in mid-August when I had planned to be away. I see I am not the only one who is experiencing this. I don't understand why they can't fix it it. Or that they can't see that an immediate cancellation of a booking shouldn't be a problem. I can see if you wait for a week or a month to cancel a booking. But 2 minutes??? Come on airbnb...........

@Bhumika Now that you have heard from @Pam2061 and me, and you can see how far back this thread goes, is there anything that you can do as a community manager to get Airbnb's attention on this? 

The only reason they should ever unblock a calendar is based on our "Availability Window" settings. These random unblockings are very problematic for hosts. 

Thanks,

Carolyn