Scam alert! How can I make sure a listing is real?

Answered!

Scam alert! How can I make sure a listing is real?

This will be my first time using Airbnb so I'm a bit weary about listings being fake.

What can I do to make sure a listing is real and not a scam?

What should I be looking out for?

Thanks

1 Best Answer
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Welcome to Airbnb!

Here are a few things you can do to make sure the listing is real:

(1) Look at the reviews and make sure they seem to talk about the same place you are booking

(2) If the listing says anything about contacting the host outside of Airbnb before booking, DO NOT - this is a well-known scam.

(3) Look at the listing - if it seems "too good to be true" (aka luxurious penthouse for a super low rate) it probably is!

You can also post the link here and we can weigh in on our thoughts.

View Best Answer in original post

811 Replies 811

Is this one real or fake? 

@Kristen267  That isn't any Airbnb URL I've ever seen before. Pretty sure it's a scam.

Zach109
Level 1
Salt Lake City, UT

What do you guys think of this one? Looks a little too good to be true and no reviews. 

https://abnb.me/N6HEjQ40OZ

@Zach109  No new listings will have any reviews, just as guests who are new to the platform won't have any reviews. Also new listings may have a discount applied to them which a new host may even be unaware of. (there are posts here all the time from new hosts who are confused and upset about why guests were able to book for so much less than the price the host set). What is a little odd to me about this listing is that she has no description of the property whatsoever. But that may just be due to the host not understanding how to write up a listing description, or not understanding that it's necessary.

What I always advise guests who are skeptical about a listing which is, in fact, on the the official Airbnb site, as opposed to having a fake URL, is to just message the host, introduce yourself, ask any questions you may have, and see what kind of response you get (click on the "Contact host" under the, in this case, incomplete, listing description- that's just you making an Inquiry and doesn't obligate you in any way). It's kind of curious to me that guests never seem to think of doing this. It's like guests think they have to make a decision and then Instant Book, just because a listing is Instant Bookable.

@Miguel783  Yes, that is a fake URL. 

Taylor231
Level 1
Lehigh Acres, FL

Should an air bnb host refer you to their property manager if I have questions during my stay? She gave me contact info for this “property manager” ??? 

Iftekher0
Level 2
Dhaka, Bangladesh

Can anyone help me to verify my stay 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Iftekher0 did you book? did you pay? then your stay is confirmed. How do you want to verify it? You can contact your host and ask anything that you have doubts about. If you think the listing might not be real, give us a link to see. 

Iftekher0
Level 2
Dhaka, Bangladesh

https://abnb.me/aaCk9VGW4Z 

Is this stay real please help me

Trisha-Anne0
Level 1
Edmonton, Canada

https://abnb.me/hOJYLoOB8Z Please help and let me know if the listing is legit.. Thank you.

Ole28
Level 2
Hjärup, Sweden

Hi, we have some issues with Val Gardena, seems to be a lot of 'very nice offers' popping up - and tyhen disappearing..
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/38828983?adults=6&children=2&check_in=2020-02-16&check_out=2020-02-23&h...
I assume they are scams?

Buddhika1
Level 1
Jakarta, Indonesia

Hi, I got one listing from airbnb, somehow he is not the ower ow the apartment, the person who has listed this in the airbnb is an employee who works for a indonesian company and that apartment is belongs to this company. so this guy has listed the place to make some money while he staying somewhere.

what will happen if this guy or company kick off me from the apartment. who will return my money? 

This is a scam, please don't send any money  and leave the link here!