Security Camera in Garage

Security Camera in Garage

The security camera in certain common area like the garage is very vague in my opinion. We have had break-ins and the city of San Francisco urges its residents to install security cameras. We installed a Blink security camera which faces the garage door and the garage access door, as it has helped us and provided to the police the video evidence of the person who has broken into our garage. So in security sense, would Airbnb consider our camera in the garage as legal or illegal?

5 Replies 5
Bettye6
Level 10
McHenry, IL

Hi @Norm584 

It is my understanding the rules are about having cameras specifically IN  your guest lodging area. Outside security cameras are permitted. It seems as you describe placement of your cameras as outside of the garage, not in. And if you do have one in the garage as well, that is not where your guest are lodging so I do not see a problem with that as well.

We utilize outside cameras via RING. We have them placed looking at all are entry points. It has helped us tremendously as we can see the guest arriving and getting in the apartment we listed. I love the fact that this has helped as we know that they have arrived, in the door ( my smart lock notifies me as well) and then I can mentally relax as I know my guests have arrived and they can take it from there.

Bettye6

Thank you Betty for your response. The garage camera is inside the garage, pointed at the main garage door and the side entry door. We do have a shared washer/dryer in the garage,  however, it’s not visible. The Airbnb unit also has a back staircase that leads to their unit, but no security cameras. We have had 2 break-ins, with 1 bike being stolen and  month ago, the same thief drilled a hole in the garage door and pulled the door latch. He was not able to steal anything as the camera detected his motion and I went downstairs and it scared him away. So having the camera inside the garage has been essential for our security. 

Patricia2526
Top Contributor
Manila, Philippines

Hello @Norm584 

Hosts are allowed to have exterior security cameras and recording devices, and are required to make sure their location is disclosed in the listing’s description (ex: “I have a camera in my front yard,” “I have a camera over my patio,” “I have a camera over my pool” or “I have a doorbell camera monitoring my front door and the hallway of my apartment building.”.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3061

We do have it disclosed, however, within garage it’s not as clear. We had break-ins in the past, and the video evidence was given to the police. Without such, I believe the thieves will continue to target our building. 

A garage is not part of the house.  It lodges cars.  It's not part of the square footage of the house, it's not heated or cooled.  For me, it's the best way I can tell if guests are adhering to the number of guests allowed and our no pets policy.  It also helps if someone decides to start loading up my TV, sound bar, etc. into their car.  That and my doorbell cam are clearly disclosed.  If a potential guest doesn't like it they can go elsewhere.  If they were to get a room at a Hilton or Marriot, the hotel would likely have cameras in the lobby, hallways and parking areas.  My home is no different.