Temporary closure advice

Answered!
Suzanne74
Level 1
Lovettsville, VA

Temporary closure advice

Hello everyone, I need to temporarily close my rental space due to family needs.  The time necessary is extending likely through this year.  I don't want to remove my listing, but I don't want to jeopardize my past good credibility as a Superhost.  Any suggestions so potential guests can see that I'm returning, but they don't waste time asking for a reservation?  Thank you!

1 Best Answer
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Just block the dates you cannot host, @Suzanne74 . If you are sure you can start hosting again, say, next February, then leave those dates open so you are visible. 

The only downside to that visibility is that potential guests will sometimes use those faraway open dates in order to inquire about the closer dates they really want. I found that happening myself when I needed a long but temporary shutdown, so just blocked everything by default. That did take away my visibility in area searches, but I was okay with that. Starting back up again was no problem. (I'm back to blocked by default again now, just honouring already-booked guests, while I regroup.)

Snoozing is another possibility, but there is no visibility at all with that. 

Don't worry about superhost status. You will retain it as long as you meet the criteria, but if you can't host, you can't host. If you lose it, you can always get it back. 

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Just block the dates you cannot host, @Suzanne74 . If you are sure you can start hosting again, say, next February, then leave those dates open so you are visible. 

The only downside to that visibility is that potential guests will sometimes use those faraway open dates in order to inquire about the closer dates they really want. I found that happening myself when I needed a long but temporary shutdown, so just blocked everything by default. That did take away my visibility in area searches, but I was okay with that. Starting back up again was no problem. (I'm back to blocked by default again now, just honouring already-booked guests, while I regroup.)

Snoozing is another possibility, but there is no visibility at all with that. 

Don't worry about superhost status. You will retain it as long as you meet the criteria, but if you can't host, you can't host. If you lose it, you can always get it back. 

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.  Your comments are very helpful.  I will block out the remainder of the year and look forward to re-opening.