Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Tip of the week 2: Welcoming guests

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Tip of the week 2: Welcoming guests

As we continue with theTip of the Week series, I'm delighted to share this week’s tip on welcoming guests! The first impression can be very important, therefore, the tip shared today, will give you some insights to boost that experience 

The following tip was shared by Superhost @Lenore22  in Welcoming guests with gift baskets and kits

"We work to establish ourselves in a higher bracket of hospitality. With this in mind, we offer a pretty good gift basket that gets a lot of compliments in reviews ". 

On this thread, we invite you to share your valuable tips on which actions you take to provide a lovely experience for your guests upon welcoming them to your home 🏡 

Tell us how you make welcoming guests special. Do you, as Lenore suggested, also make an effort to learn whether any of the visitors are celebrating an anniversary or a birthday to add an extra special touch to the welcome?

We’re excited to hear and learn from you all. Let's gather the best practices for ensuring a great guest experience, and don’t forget to give a thumbs up👍 to the best tips shared. 😊

👉 TOTW series

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

47 Replies 47
Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

unless they tell me it’s a birthday, anniversary, etc I don’t really ask about their plans. 

I leave out Mini snacks in a baggie, full size bag of pretzels, a few bottles of water, coffee, tea, cocoa, pancake/waffle mix, postcards, toothpaste, floss, toothbrushes. Some people use and take everything and some people don’t use anything at all so I just leave it for the next guest.

I also send an email of “eat like a local” restaurants on check in day so they don’t waste their money on sub par food. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

These are all really thoughtful ideas @Dawn241!

I especially love the "eat like a local" email, it'll be a great help.  What kind of restaurants do you have in the local area?

-----

We are on the border of Mexico so of course we have several great Mexican, several breakfast/lunch only spots, a few roadside bar/grille, a great Vietnamese place, a couple of bakery/cafe/coffee shops, and a couple of upscale places, and one Chicago dog/beef place. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

That sounds like a great selection @Dawn241!

I LOVE Mexican food, so I'm envious of the location.  Here in Scotland, where I stay, there's not very much selection.  I have to go to the city for my Mexican fix!

-----

I love the "Eat Like a Local" idea, @Dawn241 ! Been meaning to print out my restaurant suggestions and am gonna use that heading. Thanks 🙂

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Jenny We just smile, shake hands if they are in shaking hands mode, and then tell them the history of the house, church and village. It seems to work for us.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nice and simple @Mike-And-Jane0 - I like it!  

-----

Kirsten266
Level 10
Heemskerk, Netherlands

We provide a local treat strawberrycake. 
I also write the names of the guest(s) on a little plate. People really love that. I think 19 out of 20 visitors mention it when they arrive and start smiling ☺️ 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

That's lovely @Kirsten266 - very thoughtful!  Do you bake the cake, or do you buy it locally?

If I was to arrive to a listing with a personal greeting AND cake, i'd be smiling too!

-----

Kirsten266
Level 10
Heemskerk, Netherlands

The local bakery bakes it. There’s only one bakery in the world who makes the delicious ‘ezelsoren’ 

Great idea! I’m stealing 🙂

Tim3319
Level 2
Nashport, OH

we always make fresh cookies the day they arrive 

AmyMichael0
Level 2
New York, NY

I always check in in person unless I am out of town offering cookies or Italian sweet wine 

but what guests love is the  bath Bubles and bath salts face mask and body lotion

i leave

amy in brooklyn  

Sandra957
Level 3
Birmingham, United Kingdom

I always meet the guest checking in , and there’s always tea and coffee for that first drink sometimes after a few hours travelling