Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Verification frustration

Answered!
Tracy1
Level 5
Bracebridge, Canada

Verification frustration

I attempted to complete my ID verification today, but could not finish the last step.

After submitting my driver licence photos, I tried to link my facebook account (I do not use gmail or linkedin), but when directed to the facebook page, I unchecked a few of the options (what airbnb can access) such as friends list. It only said that it required your public profile, which you can't uncheck anyway.

When I was redirected back to airbnb, I had a message saying "We're really sorry. There wasn't enough activity on your account for verification". ?? Anyone know why? I now can't go back to retry (and not uncheck any of those options), as it just keeps giving me that message. I tried logging out, then logging in with facebook, but I think it just logs me in with my saved password from the email login I signed up with.

It seems I am now stuck - I can't get verified?

Top Answer
Paula276
Level 2
Odessa, TX

I went to a different computer logged onto Airbnb and Facebook it let me finish the process with no problems.

View Top Answer in original post

257 Replies 257
Judy107
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I am getting the same message - have tried to record a video on my laptop but it just doesnt work.   And I must have tried 10 times. Its a wonder anyone manages to book anything on airbnb!!

Les7
Level 1
Victoria, Australia

Hi Judy

In the end I looked up an Australian tel number on google and called them. They sorted it out quickly after that, but yes it appears there is a problem in their software which somehow seems to halt the progress of the verification process. I wouldn't mind guessing its browser dependent, are you using Chrome?

Yes i had used chrome and when that didnt work I swicthed to explorer

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Well done @Andre66 very smart - this is the way to go. 

One may also try cleaning browser history or even open a new private window.

Same here...wasted more time (therefore money because I should have been working) trying to verify than just pay for a 5 star hotel...just signed up but will be deleting account immediatly.

Why should we record a video ... I am not auditioning for the X factor, I wanted to book a room. Did you ever manage to get verified ??

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

@Julie412 Typically it's not in a room that you will be staying but at somebody's.

Cherry10
Level 1
Bournemouth, United Kingdom

I have the same problem yesterday when I booked. and this morning my resverstaion has now cancelled. very frustrated!!! waste my time and worried if I can refund from Airbnb. WOULD SOMEONE HELP ON THIS ISSUE!!!

First time with Airbnb, not having a good time!!!

Andre66
Level 1
Ingleside, Canada

I was denied my booking because airbnb would not complete my verifacation. I sent them drivers licence, photos, a video to replace the required face book and other chat websites. They cancelled my booking because they wanted access to my facebook. Again, i dont have one and dont want one. they also have my credit card info and most of my personal info. Are they scamming me or just impossible to become a member.

Andre

Cathy116
Level 1
Livermore, CA

This and other similar verification problems still exist in 2017. We are new to airbnb and tried to book a reservation, were asked to submit credit card billing statement to verify payment method. It was approved after 12 hours, and we were instructed to complete the booking. When we attempted to complete the booking, airbnb asked to submit credit card billing statement again for verification purposes. Then the process repeated again and again. Frustrated, we tried to call the customer service which was no where to be found on airbnb's website, we had to do a wild search on the internet. We called customer service number 855-424-7262 the wait time was more than 25 minutes. We've in contact with the host of the place, he was very frustrated as well, he has also tried to call airbnb.  Our first experience with airbnb is hell.....As of now, we still can't complete the booking because the verification process keeps repeating....  And we are arriving later today so we had to book a local hotel.

Janine46
Level 1
Castlemaine, Australia

After a number of wonderful airbnb experiences a few years ago I have now given up. Going to Italy for six weeks and had spent many hours choosing well reviewed properties (6x 1 week each), then went to book but can't verify  I understand that hosts need to protect themselves but there must be a better system than this.

Marina223
Level 1
Mildura, Australia

Hi, I have the same problem.  Can't upload a video as I dont have a webcam, only cameras on my apple phone and ipad which don't support Flash.  Am not prepared for AirBNB to have my friends list, I think this is an invasion of my friends' privacy.  I am about to give up and book a hotel, not impressed!

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Marina223

I am sorry you are having this experience but you need to take up techical issues with BNB - this is a forum for hosts. Twitter or calling them gets best results.

Hi I am having the same difficulty. I have been on hold with Air B&B for 60 minutes. Can someone please help me verify my accnt? 

Eric229
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

I'm having the same issues as all. Used AirBnB previously. Now, I'm being asked to upload my drivers licence (which I did successfully) and then connect to Facebook/Linkedin/upload a video of myself. I'm not connecting anything to my Facebook or Linkedin so I uploaded a video which said would be approved within hours. It still has not.

I now have several emails telling me my reservation will be cancelled within hours if I don't verify my ID. Well, I've tried. The email also said to "Please respond directly to this email or check out our FAQs to be guided through the process," which of course I got an email back saying it was an automated email and I can't reply directly. 

This has gotten a bit silly.