What's your preferred check-in system and style?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

What's your preferred check-in system and style?

Guest arrival and Check-InGuest arrival and Check-In

Hi Everyone! 

Usually when the guests arrive at the listing, every Host has a different style and check-in system in place to greet guests and help them access the listing. Some Hosts prefer virtual check-in while some Hosts may like to meet their guests in person and guide them through the listing. 

Based on your hosting style and guest requirements, the check-in window for guests can also widely vary. While few Hosts accommodate a flexible check-in time for the guests, some Hosts may find that a standard check-in time works well for their listing. 

I'd like to invite our Hosts to share what's their hosting style when guests arrive to the listing. 

What's your preferred method and approach for guests checking into your property? How long is your check-in window? Is there a particular sweet spot? Do you offer flexible check in to your guests? Do you change the check-in times depending on the seasons?

Looking forward to your insights and suggestions! 🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

44 Replies 44

I totally feel for you 💖
As Airbnb host, we have to consider that the guest will NOT read our messages and instructions.
We have to find a way to captivate their attention
And
TIMING is important.  No point reaching out 6 weeks before the stay.

Guests are receptive (maybe) just after booking and just before arrival.

If you need an answer other times, you will probably have to poke by sms or phone call.

Make your needs and main issues clear in your house rules and IB message.  Message me privately I would love to interact with anyone who needs tips!

Looks like you are doing everything right!
But you have 8 reviews.
We have 400 reviews and over 700 guests.
Self check in works, until you have one late night guest who did not read your instructions and is disoriented after a few drinks on the flight.

I'm glad it's working for you so far but I hope the community managers will give weight to the words coming from 500+ guest experience.

I’m new at the game and value reading other hosts info. My guests have self check-in but can always reach out through the platform if need be, 6pm-10pm timeframe is check-in.
We Became a superhost in my first year but not many reviews considering how much we bent over backwards for guests and that shows our inexperience tbh. Thankfully we are learning from mistakes and trying to take on comments from guests. Thx for sharing. 

Gary1351
Level 2
The Entrance, Australia

I like to see our guests at check in the make sure all their needs are met. We like them to check no earlier than 1.30 to 2.00 as we often have to get the rooms ready after other guests have left at 11.00.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Gary1351 , Thanks for sharing! It's nice to hear that you like to meet your guests to ensure you're there to help them if they have any questions!

How do you co-ordinate the turnover between guests to ensure everything is fresh and ready for the next guests? Do you have a scheduled cleaning service to help you?

-----

Gaynor39
Level 2
Egerton, United Kingdom

Hi Bhumika,

Gaynor here from Kent, UK.

We have a lockbox with clear directions on the listing of location and code.

As the listing is at our property I often leave the key in the door to make it easier for our guests.

Check in is after 2pm but up to anytime that suits the guests. Most ten to arrive between 3pm-6pm. If asked for earlier check-in (rare) I will accommodate where possible. 

I'm finding most guests seem happy for me to meet them, purely to say hello and put faces to names. I do not take them into the property and guide them, simply direct them to it and wish them pleasant stay.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Gaynor39 , Thanks for sharing your experience and process with us! Looks like you have a clear strategy to ensure a smooth check-in for your guests 😍

On a side note, 👉 Do you have any memorable guest experiences that you'd like to share with us?👈

-----

Gregory668
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Hello @Bhumika!  

I’m Greg from San Diego, CA.  I prefer the self check-in process.  It has been convenient for my guests and myself.  I have keypad locks which makes it better for the self check-in.  Check-in is after 3pm.  I also send a welcome to my home message 24-48 hours prior and immediately after check-in to welcome my guests and make myself available to them if needed.  

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Gregory668 , Looks like the process works out the best for you and the guests! How do your guests usually respond to the self check-in process and your welcome messages? 

Would you like to share the welcome note with other Hosts for inspiration? 😉

-----

Todd609
Level 2
North Carolina, United States

Hello, 

Our check in process is entirely electronic. Info is sent automatically and again by DM. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Thanks so much for sharing @Todd609 , How has your experience been so far with virtual check-ins?

-----

Greg2406
Level 3
Rockport, TX

Bhumika, 

Greg and Nettie here in Rockport at Nettie's Hideaway.  

We always email and text our Guests at least two days before their arrival.   First, this verifies their contact information and second, it is a good way to introduce ourselves as well as mention any specialty services offered (we offer custom dinners and specialty wines from all over the world).  by 9am of the morning of check-in (4pm), we issue detailed instructions on how to enter the property, where to park, and how to access the home.   We are flexible on check-ins unless the cleaning crew is on a same day turn-around.   Check-out time is set at 10am.  We have made exceptions to this before, but not very often.   We have never had an issue with check-in or check-out because we are in constant communication with our Guests via text and phone.   We do not allow check-ins after 9pm for reasons already listed by other Hosts.   We also hold to a very strict policy of if the Guest makes the reservation for 3 and shows up with 6, they are restricted from the property until the additional fees are remitted, no exceptions.    We also have excellent House Rules,...ones that this Host community board should be allowed to share.  

Either prior to the Guest stay, we have them sign (docu-sign) or sign at arrival the House Rules.  This is mandatory by all guests and is also listed in the property listing as being a requirement of their stay.   In the Guest Welcome binder, we offer our Guests a summary of what to do in the area; the best beaches, attractions, fishing piers, restaurants and menus, and our Specialty Menu and wine list.   So many compliments on this binder.  

Many Guests we meet at check-in but with our busy schedule, it's very hard to be at each one.   We determine in advance, as best we can, what style of stay do they wish.   Less than 2% want no interaction with the Hosts, 98% welcome to visit and chat.    We always make it a point to offer them something extra to make their stay with us special.  If we know in advance what special occasion they may have during their stay, we will often provide small items like fruit baskets, birthday cake, continental breakfasts, stocked refreshment bar...list is long.  And for our repeat visitors, we offer a discount on their stay and sometimes a free specialty meal.   

At least two times a year (we are working on going to 4 times per year), we have live local  entertainment at our properties, which has been a huge success.   We have had two events since starting the Guest House and we always book within a few minutes of announcing any event. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Greg2406 and Nattie , thanks so much for sharing these brilliant tips with us! I really find the point about guest welcome binders and house rules interesting. Have you noticed that because of reading house rules on arrival, guests tend to follow them better? 

If you could share a glimpse of how your binder looks, I guess many Hosts could draw inspiration from it! 😉 Looks like your guests absolutely love it! 😍

-----

Hi again Bhumika,

Yes, guests tend to follow house rules.  20220910_124627.jpg20221105_125432.jpg

The binder is a simple 3/4" three ring binder.  Each section is tabbed so that the Guests can quickly turn to each section.  House Rules, Specialty Menu, Wine List, Things to do in the area; attractions, beaches, restaurants, nightclubs,.., and then restaurant menus.    Most guests read it all and write about it in our Guest Book.  Binder coverBinder cover

Miguel2294
Level 1
Santiago de los Caballeros, Dominican Republic

Hello Bhumkia

I am miguel from the Dominican Republic , in my case I prefer self check in , I leafy the keys in a smart lock box and give special instruction to the guess with a unique passcode for them to get the key and access to their accommodation .

sometime I have inconvenience with some guess because not all of them like or follow written instruction , how ever self check in is a success key for me