What special event increased your bookings?

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

What special event increased your bookings?

Jenny_0-1686845136211.jpeg

Hello everyone!

In our wonderful global community, we’ve got members from all kinds of places, from rural to city and everywhere in between.

From local festivals, to Pride celebrations, there’s always something awesome going on somewhere!  

I would love to know what special events have increased your bookings. Are they yearly? Were they a one off?  For those who share a space with their guests, did you feel a sense of involvement in the festivities?  Let me know in the comments, and feel free to share any photos or stories about your experiences.

Can’t wait to hear from you all.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

22 Replies 22
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Jenny The Download festival at Donnington Park seems to fill our apartments for a weekend every June. Its 22 miles away but some people like to get well away from the noise. Interestingly this year we could hear the music when Metallica were playing but of course it didn't disturb the guests as one lot were 11 rows away from the stage!

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

As an elder festival-goer I am completely on board with those that seek accommodation away from the noise @Mike-And-Jane0!

Do they tend to drive to and from the festival, or are your listings on a transport route?

I read that Download had been a bit noisy for locals this year, great that it didn't bother the guests though!

-----

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Jenny every year in February we have a State triathlon in Huskisson and all accommodation is booked and surrounding local areas. Certain roads are blocked off over 2 days fortunately only for 4 hours eacb day.

This does upset some local people because of the inconvenience but for the small buisnesses and the community it brings money to this small community. What I like seeing is the relaxed atmosphere and people bring and make a happy atmosphere by enjoying the weekend and supporting theirs friends or relatives. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

That sounds great, @Laurelle3! It's wonderful how these kind of events can bring in money for the local economy.

-----

Mar125
Level 10
California, United States

Graduation ceremony!!

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

How lovely @Mar125 - these must be such happy stays - family and friends coming to celebrate their young people at a landmark in their lives.

-----

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Jenny those of us who have only one property cannot be 'more booked'. One of the most popular events in Ballarat where everyone in town is booked are 'The Road Nats'  a major push bike and cycling race going over many miles with the main through roads blocked . where we are has many beautiful cycling roads and the area attacts thousands of people for the whole time...the road nats saved my bacon one weekend where I was booked by a troublesome set of guests who cancelled an hour after being in the property. These people were frightening and I was glad to refund their money and see them go but then 'no money , no guest'. Suddenly a booking came through from my favourite ever guest . He was huge all over and looked like a body guard ,I was thrilled to see him as I was a little worried the other guests might try to return . He was lovely and it was just the shortage of accommodation that delivered him right place right time .. H

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry you had to deal with that @Helen744  - I'm glad that those guests left and that you were able to replace them with such a wonderful guest.  Has he ever returned to stay?

-----

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

We have TankFest at nearby Bovington this weekend.  It happens every year and we often have guests stay. 

We also have Camp Bestival nearby every year and tend to get guests who don't want to camp at the festival and want a proper bed for the night. 

We also get a lot of guests who run the Jurassic coast marathon and also for the Ironman race in September.  They tend to book because of the Hot Tubs to ease their aching muscles !

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's great that you've got such a diverse selection of events happening nearby!  

As a festival fan, I think using an Airbnb as a place to rest is a great idea, as the older I get the more I feel like camping just isn't comfortable.  If I recall correctly, Camp Bestival is quite family oriented, do you find that you have families booking or is it more grown ups?

-----

Hello Jenny,

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic! Special events can indeed have a significant impact on bookings. In my experience, local festivals and cultural events have been particularly effective in increasing bookings. These events often attract visitors from out of town who are looking for accommodations.

For me, participating in annual events like music festivals or sporting events in my area has consistently boosted bookings. Being in close proximity to the event venue allows guests to conveniently stay at my property. Additionally, I've noticed that guests appreciate the sense of involvement and the unique experience that comes with staying in a space near the festivities.

I encourage other hosts to share their experiences and insights regarding special events that have positively influenced their bookings. It's always fascinating to hear different perspectives and learn from one another. Feel free to share your stories and photos!

Looking forward to hearing more from the community.

Best regards, [marrydaniel967]

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Jules155
Level 4
Banner Elk, NC

Hello Jenny,

Our Airbnb is a tiny cabin on our farm in the gorgeous NC mountains, so we are blessed that no matter the economy, people love to come here to unwind. BUT, when the series OUTLANDER came out, several episodes were of the highland games, which is an annual event at nearby Grandfather Mountain since the 1940s and many scenes from the future revolved around the games. Plus, the main characters, Claire and Jamie moved to the North Carolina Mountains after leaving Scotland to a place called "Fraser's Ridge" which is a part fictional, part real area close by. We have had guest come to stay at the cabin just to go to the highland games because of the series. We put out the Rampant Lion flag and give them coffee mugs that says 'Somewhere near Fraser's Ridge." Who would think a television series would bring guests to our cabin!! 

@Jules155 it is amazing how a place can be exposed through the media via a TV series or a documentary. Often when a name of a place is mentioned and we don't know where it is we look it up in the old large Atlas. Then we look it up on the internet, where we can expand the area and find out what is near by. Or great pictures of interest in the area or places of interesr to visit if you were travelling in the area.

Jules what a great place to  live with walking trails,  autumn coulours of the trees to photo and little towns to visit or the yearly gatherings. When I looked to see the area the museums were of an interest with Myster Hill, even with their own Stonhenge.

Your Little Tin Man with its own Scarecrow, What imagination for a name great marketing and you explain what your home is made of. I wish you success and the spin off from the Outlander series.

Thank you, Laurelle for such kind words! I can tell by your 5-star reviews that guests experiences are also very important to you!

Our tiny cabin is on our farm that has been in the family for over 120 years. We feel so blessed to live in a place of such extreme beauty that we wanted to share that with the world. We had no idea that a TV show would help us meet so many wonderful guests!

We have always wanted to go to Australia. If we do, I will make sure to visit your beautiful home.