Wifi Speed Test Tool Not Working

Answered!
Nazan10
Level 2
Alaçatı, Turkey

Wifi Speed Test Tool Not Working

Hi everyone.

For some reason wifi speed test tool is not working that I coulnd't input my results. Is there anyone had the same issue?

N.O
1 Best Answer
Thierry676
Level 2
Stuttgart, Germany

I had the exact same issue with the android Airbnb app. Wi-Fi name and Wi-Fi password were already there when I run the test (configured beforehand from the PC Airbnb website), and they were definitively correct (visually at least, no typo or lowercase/uppercase errors). But after reading this thread, I had the idea to remove Wi-Fi details, run the test again which prompted me to re-enter the Wi-Fi details, and it worked this time :))  ... Maybe something to do with some invisible characters !?!? Try it, it might work for you as well 😉

View Best Answer in original post

76 Replies 76
Valerie243
Level 3
Coquitlam, Canada

We have not been able to get it to work.  The link to start the test is greyed out on the app (see attached screen grab -- if I can get the upload to stop being buggy).

We did go directly to the third-party service that actually does the speed testing during the Airbnb process, and it worked just fine... so clearly the problem lies in a bug in the Airbnb app when that app is used as an intermediary between my wi-fi network and the m-Lab speed test.

We have added our names to the list of hosts reporting this defect in the app.

Perhaps Airbnb should extend the November 4 deadline until their get their house in order and the app speed test is working smoothly for everyone.

You´ve probably already figured it out but if you tap on the Network name or password and delete just one letter then type it back, the greyed out button will turn black. Also my Network name included 2.4 and 5.6Hz (on app and website) - I removed the 2.4 part in app and on website and it worked!! 🙂

Kim572
Level 5
Parkersburg, WV

I’ve been told that using the AirBnB tool to speed test your internet will make your IP address public.  Uh, no thanks, Air.

@Kim572   Speed tests do temporarily use one's public i.p. address to get a general idea of location - it's used to connect to a test server in the general area. But they do not store this information anywhere. 

I'm not interested in a "test" that requires one to input one's  login I.D. and password as a pre-requisite.  Network login credentials have no bearing whatsoever on the results of a speed test. 

Andrew2464
Level 2
Louth, United Kingdom

Here's the solution (using the Airbnb app, logged into your account whilst at your listing):

Step 1: Go to "Info for guests" / "Wifi" and enter your wifi router's name and pass. Ensure this is accurate, respecting characters and case-sensitivity, check there's no mix-up between zeros and 'O's.

Step 2: Go to "Amenities" / "Internet and office" select Edit. "Test wifi speed" should work. You can repeat the test several times and save the fastest!

I believe the m-Lab speed test tool first confirms that the identity of Wi-Fi being tested matches that which is recorded in "Info for guests"

Note: If like me you first had a typo error with your listing's router name/pass then corrected it, but still "Start Test" remained 'greyed out', then return home and enter your home's details accurately in "Info for guests" and now test. This will give you confidence that the tool does work. When you return to your listing's location, refreshing the "Info for guests" details following Step 1 should get the correct test result..

Ginger-Jim0
Level 2
Evanston, IL

Came here to figure out how to fix this issue and got enough clues to do so (for me).

Turns out My Guest Network as listed in the App was 1500Main

The actual Guest Network on the Router was 1500main

I changed info in the Guest Info to be lower case for that one letter and went back to the app on my phone and was finally able to do the test.   

So upper/lower case matters!

BTW- test results came back at 91mbps (100mbps max service).   That was higher than anything that the stand-alone SPEEDTEST app would show even when changing test servers.

This won't help with inquires that need Gig speeds for some reason, but that's fine with me.

Me either. Can get it to work or find the speed tester.

You must use the Airbnb app and be logged into your account whilst at your listing.  It will work 🙂

Follow my solution guide posted here on 28-10-21

speed tester is in "Amenities" / "Internet and office" of your listing

Good luck!

Jeff89
Level 7
Sydney, Australia

Nor me on Android

For Android devices, the Airbnb app can be found in the Google Play store.

You must be using the Airbnb app and be logged into your account whilst at your listing.  It will work 🙂

Follow my solution guide posted here on 28-10-21

Good luck!

When Airbnb first sent the new App, I was disappointed that it did not apply to my laptop. I rarely use my cellphone - except for calls.  I downloaded the App to my iPhone. The App worked fine. It so happened that at the time I received a very high reading of speed - 146. I saved it. Then I decided that this anomaly was misleading. I deleted the 146. I then tried to run the Speed test again. The system takes me through the several screens. I verify that the stored Network and Passcode are what my iPhone is using. All in sync. Then I continue to the screen "Start test", but the "Start test" button is not illuminated/activated. I chatted online with the help desk. I then called them. The help desk agents seemed unaware of the problem.WiFi 2.PNG

Bill395
Level 2
Clear Spring, MD

Not working and nothing is being done by Airbnb people.  Why did the do this when it is obvious that they did not have a good system to work with, PUT BACK THE OLD SYSTEM!!!

Joy44
Level 1
Irvington, NY

I tried this test on both my i=pad and i-phone.  The start button is grey and does not respond on either device.

Richard2382
Level 2
La Asomada, Spain

I’m very frustrated with this new tool, especially as 6 months ago I suggested to Airbnb that the wifi speed needs to be announced on the hosts website, they said thank you very much and sent me a pair of winter woolly socks.

i can’t believe that ever since they introduced this wifi speed detection tool, it’s never worked , I have 2 different properties with different wifi suppliers , I input all the data they ask for like name of wifi connection and then the password number, but the button below to confirm just stays a light gray and does not light 💡 up as connected for you to confirm your data, it’s the same on iPhone, and Mac air , it’s a big shame as I’m paying a lot more for 600 mgb fiber, but can’t publish this on the properties Airbnb webpage, this needs to be sorted by Airbnb but my messages for help gets me nowhere!!!

Hello, exactly the same - not working!  Greyed out “start test”