host calendars suddenly blocked

Gilla4
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

host calendars suddenly blocked

Hi all, 

Can anyone in London help?

I am a host since years - I have had two live adverts for my flat in London (UK) since weeks. For weeks it was clear that we were going to be allowed to host again from 2 June 2020 after the pandemic freeze... I responded to enquiries in recent days as well
then after days of silence... I went back into the calendar 10 minutes ago and was quite shocked to see that out of the blue they have blocked out the entire month of June until 3 July for both the ads I have had live!!

what has happened?

how is it possible that we have no explanation?

Has this happened to you too in London or just to me?

when will they reopen?

Thank you.

G

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am rather confused @Gilla4 . I never saw anything announced by the government to say that it would be legal to open up STRs from 2 June in England. Where did you see that?

The only references I have seen is that legislation is blocking STRs to all but key workers and other exceptions until 2 July. (Although I wouldn't be surprised if they don't extend it again).

I keep track of our government legislation and as soon as it is updated I block my calendars out for STR bookings in line with what our government, rather than what Airbnb may or may not say. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

It's not just London that has had its calendars blocked, @Gilla4 - Calendars have been blocked in the whole of the UK. - Check your inbox for your regular email; we UK hosts were sent info there; at the time of the original block on 23 March, and for every extension since.

I guess this is because it is still illegal, against Covid-19 emergency legislation, for ANYONE to travel for non-essential purposes, and illegal for any / all accommodation providers to let rooms/units.

Our government has said that holiday accommodation will be able to reopen on 4 July ONLY IF the coronavirus is sufficiently under control. (R number <1) 

Having said that, there are those of us  who are puzzled by the block, because it still IS legal to accommodate certain types of WORKERS, working away from home.

Some of us would like to be trusted to make the decision, only to host those whom we can legally host, and to decline bookings from people having a break/holiday, or visiting friends/family, which is still against the emergency laws.

I guess Airbnb does not trust us all to act within the law. (Maybe because SOME hosts hosted illegally at the beginning of lockdown.)