listing description

Mai2913
Level 2
Seattle, WA

listing description

Airbnb stated on the listing as "Entire house hosted by Mai"  I have guests that are upset that they don't have the entire house but they do.  I stated that their is a tenant below the house in the daylight basement in the detailed listing.  They don't share anything except the backyard.  How do I fix this on airbnb, I thought I was transparent about this.

9 Replies 9

Hi! @Mai2913 

So sorry this has become an issue when you’re just getting started 😥. This confusion happens a lot regarding your property type and whether it’s an entire home or not. Actually, it’s the host/property owner who chooses the property type when setting up the listing; not Airbnb. Other hosts (and Community Managers) can offer suggestions on how to handle this as well. Some things to consider:

Listing Accuracy

Technically, the guest complaining has a point. Although this is a house, there is a long- term tenant in the daylight basement of the house. They share some spaces (backyard, deck, fire pit) with your Airbnb guests. Guests are really not booking the entire home. If they were, the guests would have private access to all spaces (no other guests/tenants sharing the spaces, or in any part of the home). Some hosts do store supplies in a basement and lock it off, but they don’t have additional guest(s) renting the basement, while they have Airbnb guests upstairs:

Guest Access Shared.png

Guest Suite vs Entire Home

In this situation, a guest can (and has) received a full refund from Airbnb because the listing was "not accurate". I suggest it’s best to err on the side of caution. I would change your property type to “Guest Suite” and not an entire home. This is especially true since many guests don’t read anything but the description (if that). They probably won’t see your Guest Access note.  

Currently, the only option to clearly and correctly show your property type is to choose: Secondary Unit/Guest Suite/Entire Place in Property type. Then highlight in the description “entire main floor of home”. Then I would indicate the square footage right away (in first sentence of your description). To price the property correctly, your place should be a lower price than an entire home; (where no places are shared with other tenants/guests).

Property Type.png

Indicate Shared Spaces in Several Places

There are at least 3 places (I’m aware of) where you should indicate “shared” spaces: Guest Access, Property & Rooms and Guest Safety. I only see the shared space indication in Guest Access. I would update those other sections right away.

Property Shared Back Yard.png

Shared Spaces.png

Guest Safety Section

Guest Safety Some Spaces Are Shared.png

Property Info Some Spaces Are Shared.png

Hope this helps clarify...let us know how it goes!

Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

Apartment would be more accurate 

@Dawn241 I changed it to a duplex home in my description and title.  Thank you for your feedback

I interpret duplex as sharing an interior wall- side by side units.  An apartment or condo would have units above and below sharing a floor and ceiling. 

@Dawn241 suggests "Apartment" might be a better choice. Airbnb says an apartment is:

"A rented place within a multi-unit residential building or complex"

Here is a brief Airbnb Help Article:

"Select Your Home Type"

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/317

As it is now, Guest Suite or Apartment are probably your best choices to avoid more guest complaints.  I wish Airbnb would come  up with another Property Type to address this. There are alot of other hosts in the same situation. 

Property Type Apt.png

@Joan2709 I listed as a duplex home.  Also do I need to inform my incoming guests so that it's not an issue or just don't say anything until they bring it up

@Mai2913 Hmm....thats a tough call. Not sure if you should or not? Community Managers or other hosts might be able to offer advice on that.

That being said, you do risk further complaints and possibly a negative review from those guests who booked already when you didn't have the "Entire Guest Suite" under your title (Still had "Entire Home" when they booked). You really don't want your first few reviews to be negative. I noticed you kept the price the same? You might need to lower your price to stay competitive with similar listings in the area. Not sure what entire homes are going for in the area, but probably more than a "guest suite" Duplex?

You did have this note under Guest Access, so I  would definitely take a screen shot of that on your phone and hold on to it in case:

Guest Access Entire House....png

Be sure to finish completing the rest of the listing; especially Guest Safety regarding shared spaces and camera disclosures (if you have cameras).

@Mai2913 I would write to all my existing bookings and explain the situation and offer them a week in which they can cancel and you will fully refund them. 

Perhaps something along the lines of

'A recent guest was upset by the fact we have a tenant in the daylight basement which shares the garden with our house. We thought we had made this clear in our description but wanted to check that you are OK with this or, if not, we would like to offer you the chance to cancel the reservation before sedate and receive a full refund. The last thing want to do is disappoint our guests'

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I would write future guests and lightly mention that you have changed the description of your place to be more accurate.  No need to mention anything else, if they find it objectionable they will ask further questions.