"This home is in the Bottom 10% of Eligible listings." Seriously?

Sudha33
Level 2
Mount Abu, India

"This home is in the Bottom 10% of Eligible listings." Seriously?

While everybody is talking about the Top 1/5/10% property highlights feature that was rolled out in the Summer 2024 release, nobody has raised a concern about the "Bottom 10%" label that was introduced along with it. Just like the "Top 1%" label, the logic for this "Bottom 10%" label is very subjective. There are no clear metrics that shows why a property has been categorized under it.

This label adds a negative tag to the property, which overrides the overall ratings and reviews that we have gathered over months/years. For example, a guest would be willing to consider a property with an average rating  of 4.7 with some good recent 5-star reviews. But once they see this label just above the reviews, they will definitely not book it. I mean who would want to stay in a Bottom 10% property, right? This will also take away the opportunity for hosts to improve our ratings in the future. No bookings means no new 5-star ratings.

I wonder what value AirBnB is gaining out of tagging their host's property with such negative labelling, even when the property has a good enough rating to be on their platform? If you want us to delist, just let us know.

Disclosure: We have been impacted by this Bottom 10% label and our conversion rate has gone down to 0%  (despite having 86% first-page search impressions and 9% search-to-listing conversions). And if you think you won't be impacted by it, remember it is just a matter of 1 biased negative review from a guest to override your overall rating and get you tagged as Bottom 10%!

31 Replies 31
Karlis3
Level 4
Grüt, Switzerland

If the review is truly 'biased' as you say by the Airbnb article definition, they have to take it down.
If they do not, that means you have to prove it to them.

1) Study the articles, the exact language and reasoning why they take reviews down.
2) Contact the support again.
-> Don't call, always chat/write. It gives you time to think and formulate your answer.
3) State your reason using the language of the Articles and stating the review is biased.
Gather supporting documents, conversations, screenshots - any proof that can support your statement.
4) Wait for their reply.
5) Don't give up with one "No".

Happy Hosting,
K.

Ann42660
Level 2
Seattle, WA

@Sudha33 ,

I'm sorry this happened to you.... I can see the dilemma; how to raise your listing if you have no one booking.  I'm new and figuring this stuff out but it may be time to refresh your listing and maybe add amenities or something more enticing to raise appeal?  And continue to contest the negative review.

For Airbnb, it seems  getting a label like this is a bit like getting a bad performance review without any forewarning.  If AI can figure out the bottom 10% it can also figure out who is getting near this point and give a head's up.  Its not in Airbnb's interest to have low performing properties so why not help with success (yes you have a LOT of articles but it's a LOT to navigate).  But maybe this is the equivalent of forced ranking in the corporate world, you want the bottom 10% out?

The other observation is that I had NO idea how this all worked when I was a customer.  Some kind of gentle coaching of the bookers may be warranted.  

Good luck Sudha