AirBnB extenuating circumstances for Covid-19 pandemic

Answered!
Lesley132
Level 2
Bude, United Kingdom

AirBnB extenuating circumstances for Covid-19 pandemic

In the UK, the AirBnB extenuating circumstances for Covid-19 only allows us to cancel bookings up to 14th April. This is absurd as the peak of infections is expected to be at end of April or beyond. In the light of the UK government telling people to stay home and banning all travel which isn't for food shopping, medical reasons or exercise, this seems quite ridiculous. We have multiple bookings in April (after the 14th) and believe that common courtesy dictates we should advise our guests but are reluctant to wait for the guest to cancel (or just turn up when they clearly shouldn't) or cancel now and say bye-bye to our super host status!

As there are an increasing number of cases where people from the larger cities are seeking accommodation in the West Country, (we are in Cornwall), despite government directives, we have now taken the decision to block out all bookings until end of June in case we get a booking we can't cancel (without penalty). Not sure what to do about the April, May June booking we already have.

When I addressed AirBnB support with our concerns, I got the usual trite, political, response.

Am I a voice in the wilderness, or does anyone else have the same issues or have any suggestions or a different point of view that may help?

10 Replies 10

@Lesley132 

Based on my experience with what happened in S.Korea from mid-Feb till now, I'm pretty sure Airbnb will extend dates for EC cancellations. 

Once # of confirmed cases started to skyrocket mid~end of Feb, a lot of airlines started cancelling most of their flights till mid-March. Then like a week~10 days before that cutoff date, they announced extended cancellations for up to end of April, and now everyone is expecting an *official* notice that confirms cancellations till end of May~early June flights within the next week or two. A lot of hotels/resorts have been doing the same. 

I suggest that you wait for the extension. Stay safe~

Lesley132
Level 2
Bude, United Kingdom

That's reassuring. Many thanks!

Abnb is a virtue signalling disgrace of a company . I hope they crumble 

Mario1986
Level 2
Chula Vista, CA

We lost $500 in service fees as Airbnb would only consider issuing a credit if you cancelled after they changed their Covid-19  policy. (We apparently cancelled a week too early to qualify)  Hawaiian Airlines & Alaska Airlines both issued travel credits good for one year.  Let's hear from all of you!  

Erin4613
Level 1
Austin, TX

I have yet to receive an email regarding the 25 %. Has anyone else?

I have heard nothing about the AirB&B reimbursing for the COVID-19 related cancellations.  I had 6 of these and bills are getting tight.  AirB&B, any updates for us?

Joshua5
Level 2
Charlotte, VT

We were booked at an AirBNB in Uruguay for arrival June 3 for a month's stay, booked after March 14. As it turns out the airline cancelled the flight, as the government of Colombia closed the airspace to all traffic for a month. We rebooked for July 3 arrival, thinking by then the airspace should be re-open. As it turns out Colombia recently stopped all incoming and outgoing flights through August 31. 

We then tried to cancel the trip as it was clear we couldn't get there for minimum of four months, likely more. The booking did not qualify for covid 19 protection because it was booked after March 14. I then read the extenuating circumstances policy closely, and while border closures and flight disruptions are covered there are significant caveats. You need to submit documentation to AirBNB, they need to review and approve, but their judgement is not final. Ultimately the host makes the decision of whether or not to cancel and our hosts refuses to despite the fact that we can;t get there. Our host, who is very nice simply refuses to refund. 

After a close reading, the covid policy is designed to protect hosts, not guests. Guests have very few rights and several limitations. In effect AirBNB doesn't care about guests. AirBNB can make a judgement but ultimately the host decides, so really it is a marketing ploy and a complete waste of everyone's time. 

I am a frequent user (136 trips as guests and 50+guests as superhost) and I'm completely shocked at AirBNB's indifference towards guests. If toy can't get to your destination, you will not get a refund of any sort. As a result, I will never book an overseas trip for fear of border closures , flight cancellations, etc as you will 100% lose your money. 

The March 14 date is completely irrelvent today given it is now May and people are initiating bookings which the covid policy simply doesn't apply. It's a pure marketing ploy on AirBNB's part. And the environment changes daily, yet the policy doesn't reflect that. We're planning a trip to Brasil. Health conditions are deteriorating rapidly. Trump just stopped flights between the countries more or less and between all of this if I book a trip to Brasil today for travel in the next few months there is a reasonable chance that the health situation will be so bad we'd choose not to travel, the border could be closed, airports closed. Why would anyone in their right mnd prepay for a trip like this under these circumstances. 

I understand AirBNB's compassion for hosts - they are hurting. I do not understand AirBNB'd draconian policy towards guests. There are simply no remedies for refund if you cannot travel even if it isn't your choice (ie- a government decision out of your control. Several airlines have refunded me immediately when they cancel flights, airports shut down. AirBNB leaves guests twisting in the wind and on the hook financially as the host makes the refund decision. Our host in Uruguay refuses to outright refund. 

As a result I will not be using AirBNB for overseas travel and highly, highly recommend you do the same. There's far too much risk for the guest. In the end this hurts the hosts as well as if you read AirBNB policies you will choose not to go and this hurts hosts too if guests don't book. 

They are completely out of touch with reality on this matter and I simply can't understand their sheer stupidity. They've lost a very loyal customer as a result. I can't imagine what they are thinking

Kel9
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Dear outsourced and slowley declining air bnb customer service.....

As a frequent user of your platform for almost a decade Ive been dissapointed with the correlation of the last of sincere customer service with the growth of air bnb.

I pretty much lived in air bnbs for over 4yrs whilst working around the globe but have felt over the past three years or so a lack of care. I hate using the platform now and avoid it as much as possible.  Id rather book with ANY thing else now than air bnb.  A far cry from past feelings where i couldnt say enough good things

I recently contacted customer service regarding a cancellation myself and my husband are being forced to make of our first year anniversary trip. I understand air bnbs policy loop holes and cancellation policies, but cannot for the life of me comprehend how our situation does not fall into an extenuating circumstance. The only way it would have been avoided is if somehow myself or my husband had grown a third eye that allowed us to see into the future.....

After a rough year - much like everyone else on the globe for 2020, we decided to book a short trip for our first wedding anniversary to the same place we went on our honeymoon last year. After covid restrictions in illinois forced us to close our business for almost 3 months we felt we needed a break.

Unfortunatley the same day we booked, Chicago, the city we reside, implemented a travel ban. How air bnb would have expected us to predict this is beyond me. Initially the ban was just for the mainland states / hawaii and alaska, but now Puerto Rico has been added.

I spoke to customer service yesterday and apart from copying and pasting generic information and 'pretending' to have spoken to a supervisor the response was pathetic. Despite showing the information that PR is on the ban list for Chicago and it is a state government mandated policy - punishable by fine, it was pretty much just suggested that we do just that, or suck up the consequences of losing $ on a ban we could have never predicted happening. If that is not an extenuiating circumstance that is entirely out of out hands i dont know what is.

The extenuating circumstances policy is intended to protect guests and hosts from unforeseen circumstances that arise after booking - altering your policy after the fact so that refunds can be denied to customers via some kind of twisted corporate loophole is nothing less than despicable.

The lack of understanding demonstrated by customer service  was nothing less than frustrating. AND im no longer shocked - really has gone right down the drain.
We didnt ask for or expect a refund, but asked that we could be at least credited so we could rebook WITH air bnb to a location that is not on, or going to be placed back on, the Chicago travel ban so that we wouldnt lose $ for the anniversary trip.
If we both hadnt been out of work for 25% of the year maybe id have not wasted energy on fighting this, but as it stands it now is a lot of money for us, and im shocked at air bnbs continuing generic service and lack of compassion under the circumstances.

Regards

K T

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kel9 Have a read of this

www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=c205f2a2-0eb0-440f-a114-054d78dd8d23

It may or may not help your case

Sally550
Level 2
Chico, CA

I got a potential booking from New York person (I'm in Calif.), but I messaged before accepting the  booking asking if it wasn't too personal, whether she had gotten virus/Covid innoculations.  I never got any reply at all, but kept this open for her to respond. I didn't cancel the inquiry (waited too long for a response from her) so this will count against me if I get too many of these. Should I just cancel after a few days of no response? If I do, don't I still get a "minus point" with Airbnb? Either way, does this count as 1 in 5 before am blocked from booking for a period of time?. How do others handle this kind of thing?