Corona Virus extenuating circumstances policy

Ujale0
Level 6
Vienna, AT

Corona Virus extenuating circumstances policy

Corona virus is a collective burden and must be shared. It is as extenuating for hosts as it is for guests and everyone in the world.

I think that Airbnb should adopt a default refund of 50% as its corona virus extenuating circumstances policy. What are your thoughts on this 50-50 sharing?

6 Replies 6
Sharon1014
Level 10
Sellicks Beach, Australia

@Ujale0  One can only speculate that Airbnb think that by making full refunds easy, guests who have been penalized by using another booking platform will eventually migrate over to Airbnb, increasing their market share.  Except hosts who are being burned (which is just about all of us) are also likely to migrate to other platforms so they have control over cancellations and are not left in a hole again.  I don't think there should be any extenuating circumstances for either host or guest.  That's what travel insurance is for.  Hosts shouldn't be the default insurance whether domestic or international.  If you book travel and accom, you insure against adverse events.  End of story.

Being burned is probably the best way to phrase this. Cannot agree more. Hosts not consulted, not even communicated to, unbelievable

@Ujale0    A 50/50 split sounds fair.  Better still  if guests were responsible and took out travel insurance, even Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) is not expensive.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Ujale0 @Ange2 

50/50 would be fair in my opinion too. Guests should have travel insurance as much as they would have break-down insurance. It should be offered to guests at Airbnb checkout like numerous other travel/accommodation/hospitality companies.

Jason1350
Level 10
San Diego, CA

I was just shared a screen shot from an upcoming guest reservation that falls within the United States. The image showed an AirBNB banner in the guest profile stating “this reservation qualifies for a full refund because of this incident affecting San Diego. If you have confirmed with your host that your trip is affected, we can help you change or cancel your reservation now”. They are handing out refunds with zero concern for the financial impact their hosts are absorbing. I had hoped the lack of support to the community was just do to an overhaul of needs to service guests, yet their continues to be no communication addressing these very real concerns. The disappointment I have in AirBnB’s lack of care or concern for hosts being impacted after extensive efforts to get some clarification is unmatched. I have never felt so neglected from a community, a brand I’ve dedicated almost a decade to supporting and going above and beyond to promote and help thrive. Am I alone in this concern or does this community agree their needs to be some clear direction to how AirBnB intends to support hosts. Please like this post if you agree their needs to be some clear response from the leadership team. Thank you and my thoughts and prayers are with all those being affected. 🙏🏻

you are not alone and cannot agree more with you.