Coronavirus fear vs reality

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Coronavirus fear vs reality

I am hoping this is helpful for some. We have 19 cases in Maryland and none in our county or the neighboring county, yet people are panicking in a huge way and acting like the world is coming to an end. I work for a very large bio research organization which has a much more measured, scientific and less chaos-driven response. I am happy to share some guidance and facts that we have been given.

There is an 18% mortality rate for those over 80. There is a less than one percent (we never like to say zero in statistics) mortality rate for children age 0-9.  70-79 the rate is 7.8%, 60-69, the rate is about 3.6%. 50-59, fatalities drop to 1.3%, and under 50 its basically between .02 and .01%. For those who are not immune compromised or over 60 this is not an illness that will be anything more annoying than a cold. This is not a normally fatal illness. Exposure will allow your body to build up its natural immunity but communities do not want everyone going to the doctor at once as it may overwhelm resources. You cannot get the same virus twice. You can get a mutated version of the virus but not the exact same one.

Anti-viral drugs need to be given in the first 48 hours after exposure in order to be effective. This class of drugs can have difficult side effects so if you can't pinpoint the exact exposure, you are better off resting, drinking liquids and limiting contact with those who may be in a risk category.

If you get sick, you normally see symptoms within 5 days of exposure but incubation period can be up to 14 days. In the US east coast we are in prime allergy season so sneezing and coughing is not necessarily a sign of this illness. A fever is the primary difference and should be taken seriously. If you don't have a fever you don't have this virus.

Buying or stealing toilet paper will in no way stop the threat of this virus. Choosing to socially distance (no hugging or hand shaking) is not a terrible idea if you are concerned about exposure. There is no evidence that the virus lives on surfaces for more than 3 days at this time, so staying at an Airbnb that has been sufficiently cleaned should not be an issue.  Flat and hard surfaces are more friendly to viruses than soft, cloth like surfaces. You can make a DIY cleaning spray by mixing 4 tablespoons of bleach with one part water. The CDC suggests using that or an ammonia or alcohol-based cleaning product.

Cancellations are really over the top for stays in April, May and beyond, and even the end of March. There is evidence that this type of virus will slow spreading in warmer months, so there is no need to take precautions to cancel trips months or even several weeks from now. In the US there is an advisory cautioning those to reconsider travel to places with over 100 cases. Currently this is California, Washington state and New York state.  The CDC keeps the most accurate map of the current confirmed case numbers. 

Hosts may need to be cautious with their cleaning supplies, water and other items left for guests. We usually leave everything out in our pantry but have had friends report that guests are stealing items en masse. Same with toilet paper. It might not be a bad idea to buy some small spray bottles and ration supplies for guests who are in panic mode.

Its very important that people support their local economies as much as they are comfortable so that this scare doesn't decimate it. There is not evidence that you can get it from cooked food, so frequenting restaurants, coffee shops, etc need not fall out of your habits completely especially if they offer a carry out or delivery option. Likewise, if you are in a state with less than 100 cases there is no current travel advisory for those who are not in a risk group. I can speak only about the US, as I am not as familiar with the situation in other countries.

Keeping calm, washing your hands frequently and using appropriate caution is the best course of action.

108 Replies 108
John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

-  

@Laura2592  @Ann72 

I guess all three of us agree that we should take this pandemic very seriously; is that correct?

Can we also agree that attempts to minimize the danger of this pandemic were wrongheaded? And that it is still wrong to minimize the danger?

If the three of us can agree on those two statements then we can move on and let others contribute something to this thread.

If you disagree with either of the above statements then please go ahead and post your opinions to discuss it if you disagree with them, but do not tag me on it because you know I disagree with you, and you would just be seen as trying to bait me.

Happy debating.

Do your due diligence.

Don't minimize the danger.

Don't panic or get anxious.

Information is power.

@John1574  Of course we take this very seriously, and neither of us has ever attempted to minimize its dangers, so we're in perfect agreement.

If you're worried about young people not taking it seriously, ask them to watch this video on Twitter by Mel Brooks' son Max:  https://twitter.com/maxbrooksauthor/status/1239624352305303552?s=20

-

"Of course we take this very seriously, and neither of us has ever attempted to minimize its dangers, so we're in perfect agreement."

OK, if you say so. Then it is all settled.

We agree that: 1) minimizing the dangers of the pandemic was wrong-headed, and it is still  wrong-headed  to do so going forward and;  2) that we all should take the coronavirus very seriously so that we can try to get the best outcome possible.

We are all three in agreement. Though I can only speak for myself.

-

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya everyone,

I'm very sorry to say that I'm closing this thread as it has devolved into pointless personal attacks. As there is plenty of great and useful information here, you will still be able to read but no new replies may be added. Please remember to attack the argument, not the person in future debates.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines