Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Information on how Airbnb is planning on helping us and how it is not helpful

They are asking congress for three things

1. deferred taxes
  2. low interest loans
  3. longer non taxable stays

https://www.businessinsider.com/airbnb-asking-congress-give-tax-relief-and-loans-to-hosts-2020-3?fbc...

1. it does not matter to me when I pay taxes- this year or next year. Taxes are paid on income. Less income this year, less to pay. Deferring anything is basically similar to getting a loan
  2. I do not need a loan. I understand this might be helpful to a small subset of us, but not to most
  3. right now we do not have to pay taxes if we rent for fewer than 14 days. They asking to move that number to 60. I certainly hope I end up renting my properties for more than 60 days this year! This will be helpful to very casual hosts and those I would imagine did not feel the pain as much anyway. If you are renting your space for 5 days a month, you just lost 5 days of reservations. We are talking about people who lost at least a month worth.

And all of this from congress- so our own tax money again. No concessions from Airbnb itself.

4 Replies 4
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

And obviously this is not helpful at all to anyone outside the US

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

I agree, @Inna22. This is from USA Today: 

"In a letter to congressional leaders Tuesday, Airbnb asked for multiple tax breaks for its U.S. hosts, who are experiencing a significant loss of business.

The company is asking Congress to expand the minimal rental use tax exemption. Right now, hosts don’t pay income tax for income from a residence they rent for less than 14 days. The company is asking to expand that to 60 days.

Airbnb is also asking for a tax credit or deduction for income earned by hosts and access to small business disaster loans for hosts. Congress should also give lenders tax incentives for providing low-interest loans to hosts, the company said.

Airbnb didn’t provide an estimate of how much those measures would cost. "

My thoughts when I read this? 

1) How will this help hosts outside of the United States?

2) How will this help hosts who are faced with bankruptcy and losing their business, livelihoods and homes?

3) Given that Airbnb decided unilaterally to refund all guests 100% of their reservation costs, without bothering to notify hosts, seeking to help them now is kind of like deliberately running someone over with your car and then going back to the crushed, dead body to put a blanket over it. 

To me, this appeal to Congress reads like another public relations move. The truth got out to mainstream media and they need to look like they care about helping (U.S.-based) hosts now. When, actually, they clearly don't. Issuing refunds to guests who had travel insurance is unconscionable. Soliciting guests and encouraging them to cancel so as to receive 100% refunds is also unconscionable. 

I guess that's what happens when a company is being run by people without a conscious; without a moral compass to guide them; without a sense of morality; without a heart.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Worth listening to, whether you like this guy  or not. At least 50% of ABB hosts are small business owners, not hobbyists. The damage to hosts due to the 100% refunds being given is not only catastrophic to many - but also permanent.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sknmg7iBOEw&feature=youtu.be

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Definitely just a PR move. So much for touting itself as an international platform "bringing the world together" or whatever feel good phrase they use. 

Hey Airbnb , I have an idea. Why don't you take out a loan and pay the hosts whose money you so cavalierly refunded? It never even occurred to you to maybe have refunded the guests 75% and left the hosts with 25%? Some brain trust you've got going there. I bet that would have gone better for you as far as all the horrible press you're getting over shafting all your hosts.