Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Advice

Mauricia2
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Advice

Can anyone help with advice on dealing with this matter. My current host booked in from Friday checking out Monday. Yesterday Saturday he came back accompanied with a male friend said his friend and him are going to a wedding. I told him  it's ok his friend can sit and wait downstairs. He said he wants his friend to check  his attire. The friend also stated they live together but I didn't second guest anything because my guest booked just for him only.  My listing £30 per room  for 1 adult.  I said it's ok he can go up to his room with him.  A little while after they both came down changed into their attires bearing in mind the friend came in casual clothes.  I then realised after they left both had used the shower.   

It's now Sunday 6:30 Pm they both comes down the stairs and my guest quickly says to me he'll be back in awhile . It also appears that the friend came back spend the night and again looks like both had showers again.

The thing is my current guest booked with the intention he was going to bring this other person in for a night. I believe strongly I should tell him he needs to pay for a night for his guest and to do it through Airbnb. I don't want to tell him tonight because he still has Monday night here and I'm on my own not sure of his behaviour/reaction. I also would like Airbnb to deal with it but as I say I don't feel comfortable  to face him whilst he still has two nights. He hasn't showed any aggressive behaviour but these guests are stranger's coming in our homes.

I would appreciate some advice. My rooms are £30 per night and bearing in mind the other room was vacant.  I'm a bit angry that people can blatantly feel they should take advantage of another humane being just like them who's  trying to give a good service to them and there are  guests  no matter what, feels they are entitled to use and disrespects hosts in their homes .

2 Replies 2
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Mauricia2 You’ve addressed occupancy limits in your house rules. Boundaries and limits are set and communicated to guests, so it’s up to you to enforce them. You can do so gently but be firm. If a guest sees you be can pushed off your podium, they will walk all over you. At no time are you EVER under any obligation to grant access to your house to anyone other than a registered guest. Your house, your rules and boundaries. Own it. 

“So sorry dear guest, but I cannot grant access to my house to an unregistered guest. If your friend would like to book the other room, it is available.” 

Of course , if the other room is not available, then it’s a simple “so sorry, no can do.”

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mauricia2  It is up to you to enforce  your rules and guest limits. Airbnb can't and won't do this  for you. The way to deal with something like this is to use Colleen's suggestions, and if a guest ignores you and acts like they can do anything they want, you then contact Airbnb to terminate the reservation.