Airbnb Messiah?

Ephraim0
Level 10
New York, NY

Airbnb Messiah?

Hi Lizzie!

It's been a while. I remember you're always on point, discreet and graceful. So I just wanted to say hello! Its nice to see you're still here. 

To my mind this Messiah shows up as our savior, and calls upon the folks at Airbnb to return to their roots. Community roots, and ways. They were highly focused and supportive of each host.

In fairness I don't want to be misunderstood,  I'm very grateful to Airbnb, they gave me a wonderful opportunity when I needed one,  and many times in the past they've really come through for me. I'll always be grateful to them for that. 

Only, seems to me they lost their way supporting hosts... the companies foundation.

Which brings me back to the Airbnb Messiah-  

Oh yes, 

"Host Ambassador? Who in corporate thought up that title? that's rich. Someone give that person a raise! 

3 Replies 3
Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

Hello Ephraim0, of N.Y., great question, lets break it down... Ambassador  definition in this application of the term means  " a person who acts as a representative or promoter of a specified activity".

as in... He is a good ambassador for the industry...

Question is-- what end of the industry does this Host Ambassador represent.  ABB it seems. Now comes the core question... what is the Industry of ABB? Answer-- a booking agency for short term rentals and other services booked as a fee for service provider with an on-line platform to Host the products it represents and Books.

Notice the separation from Customer Services- us Hosts are the customer and the bookers are the consumers- which this title Host Ambassador presents as a third party interest to the transaction.

Well there you have it. That is the deal and that is what we have all signed up for.  

Susan

About 15 percent of transaction fees to airbnb? That's pretty generous for a company that owns an app and a call center. There's a reason Airbnb sailed north of 100 billion. I'm guessing at 30 percent it'd be 200 billion. I think you're mistaken, American ambassador represents America, French Ambassador represents France etc, so Host Ambassador implies they represent US hosts.

I suppose if we are going according to convention the proper title would be "Ambassador to the Host" 

Yes capatalism is good. I'm all for it. That said Karl Marx was a visionary regarding capatalist exploitation of the masses. It's happened, it's happening. "Host Ambassador" , like I said rich. Clever but rich. Let me know if the algorithm notices your staunch support. But honestly so far Airbnb has been generous in giving me a voice, so I'll give them that. 

Thank you Ephraim0 for your response to my definition of terms question.  However, the term Ambassador as it applies to  " an accredited diplomat sent by a country as its official representative to a foreign country"  does not apply to ABB and its misuse of the terminology which  you are right in saying should be  Ambassador to Hosts.  I credit this error to ABB's continued confusion about its role in this industry which it seems to define on its own terms. Susan990

Susan