Airbnb office Pocketed $7,854.33 Paid By A Guest Since December 2021. And Now Insisting I Must Refund the Guest.

Sister-Mariam0
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

Airbnb office Pocketed $7,854.33 Paid By A Guest Since December 2021. And Now Insisting I Must Refund the Guest.

Hello Community. My name is Mariam and I am a host. Airbnb is getting untrustworthy. In October 2021, a guest reserved to stay one year at my house for a total of $9,358.48 as my payout. But due to unforeseen circumstances Airbnb cancelled the reservation at 1 month and 2 weeks ( guest stayed from Oct. 14-Dec. 1, 2021). I was paid $1,504 approximately for the short stay. To my surprise I just found out today, May 5, 2022, that Airbnb office did not refund the guest the remainder of $7,854.33.

Airbnb pocketed the guest's money and now insisting that I must pay the refund of $7,854.33 to the guest with my present and future hosting payout. The $7,854.33 which WAS NEVER PAID TO ME IN THE FIRST PLACE. Airbnb office is now saying that henceforth my payout for my other and present reservations will be used to reimburse the guest whose reservation was cancelled on December 1, 2021.

Why should I cough out the money I never received from Airbnb? What sense does that make? Why is the big fish Airbnb trying to swindle small fish like me who is trying to use what I have worked hard for to make a living? Why should I not be paid for my present hostings? Why should Airbnb pocket the guest's money and make me to pay? They are saying that they will only start to pay me for my present and future hostings only after September 2022. Who does that?

Please help me community. Give me a suggestion, what should I do? I need my money. I cannot afford to pay back the money, $7,854.33 which I never received from Airbnb for a reservation that was canceled by them.

13 Replies 13
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sister-Mariam0 

This can only be a mistake by Airbnb or misinformation from your guest. Guests are only charged month by month for long term stays. as a result there should be nothing to refund to the guest. You don't say what the unforeseen circumstance is but it is hard to see what could cause this issue. I suggest you contact Airbnb again on Twitter and, if they don't correct their stance, if they don't pay you for future stays then take them to the small claims court. Hopefully it won't come to that!

Thank you Mike and Jane.

Airbnb never mentioned that guests are charged month by month for long term stays. They were claiming that the guest paid  a total of over $10,672.28 upfront and my payout will be $9,358.48. They said, however, I will not be given the lumpsum upfront but will be paid monthly. There was an unforeseen altercation at my house and Airbnb said that I should have avoided that while the guest was present at my house. So, they paid me $1,504 for the 1 month and 2weeks which the guest stayed from the total 1 year reservation made. I was not given any extra $7,854.33 which they are claiming from me now.

The situation is really bothering me now. Why should I be forced to pay the money ($7,854.33) which was never given to me? Airbnb accounting and mathematics are WACKY!

@Sister-Mariam0.

I know that it must be very upsetting for you to have receive the payment request from Airbnb, but it is your responsibility to be familiar with their policies and processes.  All information is available at their Help Center, and most topics are written in simple language.

The information about payments and payouts for long-term stays have always been available -  guest payments for long-term stays: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/245/pay-for-a-longterm-reservation, and payout to hosts: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/285/payouts-for-longterm-reservations.

Hopefully, you can get this situation worked out soon.  However, you should go the Help Center and bookmark the site: https://www.airbnb.com/help?audience=home_host.

Thanks Debra3000. Yes, I know Airbnb long-term payout policies. And I have spelt it out to them yet they were claiming points that were contrary to their policies with the intent to force me to pay money which was never given to me, $7,854.33.

The worst part now is that Airbnb agent lied to me today that the money was transferred to PAYPAL on Dec. 8, 2021  to be paid to me monthly starting December 16, 2021-May 2, 2022. Agent, Reynard which I spoke to today cajoled me that the money is sitting in PAYPAL'S Company's account since Dec. 8, 2021. Whereas, the guest's 1 year reservation was canceled on Dec. 1, 2021. Talking about Airbnb's long-term payout policies, here are my questions:

1) Does Airbnb pays a lumpsum amount upfront to hosts for a long-term stay? The answer is NO. They take the lumpsum from the guest but pays hosts monthly.

2) Does Airbnb pays a host for a reservation which was already canceled? No. Especially if canceled a week ago.

3) Is it in Airbnb policy that a host must refund a guest's money which host never received for the reservation? No.

4) Can Airbnb proof that the money $7,854.33 was collected by Paypal or deposited into my account? No.

5) The transfer of $7,854.33 claimed to have been sent to paypal by Airbnb, what is the transfer code and receipt number generated by Paypal system? Airbnb doesn't have it.

6) Is it in the agreement I had with Airbnb at any given time that my payouts for subsequent hostings will be used to reimburse a guest who canceled 6 months ago, and then Airbnb will now reimburse me later, in September 2022? NO. 

It will not take a rocket scientist to realize that Airbnb is dodging to pay me and acting against their own policies. 

Airbnb is acting in BAD FAITH. 

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Sister-Mariam0 I'm so sorry to hear about this, that's a very strange case indeed. I've sent this over to the team now for them to look into. 

They'll be in touch with you shortly and if I receive an update on my side in the meantime, I'll let you know.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Thank you Sybe. I hope it is a mistake. But Hazel, the person handling my case at Airbnb office is saying there is no mistake in her decision though. She wrote me several mails telling me that her decision stays and that I should review her decision and comply to pay the $7,854.33 with my hosting present and future payouts money. That I Airbnb will start paying me for hosting only after September 2022.

Believe you me, I couldn't sleep since last night because of the rubbish decision of Hazel, the Airbnb agent concerning this issue. Why should I be forced to pay $7,854.33 money which was never given to me?

Please help me look into it. Here is the confirmation code of the present hosting which I wasn't paid for yet *** ($849.27 unpaid payout). And *** is the one which the refund of $7,854.33 has not been paid by Airbnb to guest since cancellation in Dec. 2021. 

I appreciate your help.

Thanks.

**[Reservation number hidden - Community Center Guidelines]

Airbnb Support3:39 PM

Below is one of the messages I got from Airbnb, ***. The message contained a big error. I never mentioned reservation *** in my complaint on May 2, 3, 2022 . It was *** for *** that I mentioned not to have been paid for. Present hosting. The agent *** mixed everything up and came up with the decision that I must refund the $7,854.33 which wasn't paid to me via my Paypal account or it is not Paypal company's account either.

Airbnb note is below for you to understand better the sequence of event.

*** Airbnb:  Hi Mariam,

Thank you for patiently waiting.

I just received a response, and we are able to check that the reason why you did not receive the payout for this reservation *** with *** because you have pending payout adjustment amounting to $7,854.33 CAD on December 8, 2021 which will be deducted on your next payout from December until the recent payout.

Here's the breakdown for your payout
Pending Adjustment as of Dec 8,2021 = $7,854.33CAD
Dec 16, 2021 payout- $800.93 CAD
Jan 16, 2022 payout - $800.93 CAD
Feb 2, 2022 payout - $107.22 CAD
Feb 16, 2022 payout = $723.43 CAD
Mar 16, 2022 payout = $800.93 CAD
Apr 16, 2022 payout = $775.10 CAD
May 2, 2022 payout - $796.74 CAD
To sum up all your payouts from Dec 16-May 2 the total should be $4805.28 CAD minus the payout adjustment of $7,854.33 CAD. So as of today you have pending balance of $3049.05 CAD that you need to settle and will be deducted on your next payout.

In that being said, you won't be able to receive your payout until you have fully paid the adjusment.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

Me: These above breakdown/adjustment by airbnb, Hazel are false claims. I was NEVER PAID THOSE MONIES ON THOSE DATES.

To worsen the matter now, Airbnb agent lied that the $7,854.33 was paid on my behalf to Paypal on December 8, 2021 to PAYPAL and the money is now sitting in Paypal's company's account. So that the money would be released to me every month as listed above.

Whereas the guest's reservation was canceled on Dec. 1, 2021. Does Airbnb pay hosts for a canceled reservations? NO. Does Airbnb pay hosts a lumpsum money for a long term stay? No. If no, why are they making these false claims?

The agent *** that I spoke to today wanted me to be chasing a shadow. He asked me to contact Paypal customer service because the $7,854.33 is in Paypal company's account for me. I called Paypal they said NO MONEY IS SITTING IN THEIR ACCOUNT FOR ME SINCE OCTOBER OR DECEMBER 2021 AS CLAIMED BY AIRBNB. Furthermore, PAYPAL does not keep any money for any client beyond 21 days without releasing it to customers. That they would return the money to sender if transaction is canceled within 21 days.

Please help me get to the bottom of this mess and headache.

**[Sensitive information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

@Sister-Mariam0,

I recommend that you stop posting the communication between your and Airbnb here in the open forum, because it contains the guest's name and reservation details.  This forum is a place where guests and hosts (like yourself) share information.  This isn't Airbnb customer service and none of us work for Airbnb.  The forum moderator has escalated your issue to ABB customer, and that usually gets someone to earnestly look into the situation and follow up with you.

O.K thanks, Debra. I posted my communication with Airbnb here  just to be as transparent as possible to the community. So they will know that I am not acting in bad-faith either to stain Airbnb's reputation or gain something else other than to be treated justly. And be paid my due payout.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Sister-Mariam0 thanks for keeping us updated. Have you been back in touch with CS in the meantime after your contact with PayPal?

I've sent your update to the team again now, please keep us updated when you hear back from them!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Thank you very much Sybe in London. I contacted Better Business Bureau San Francisco where Airbnb has its head office. Below is Airbnb's response.

{We appreciate the time you’ve taken to share your concerns with our team. Upon investigation we found that our claims/resolution/safety team has already issued their final decision on this matter. You did not receive the payout because of $7,854.33 pending adjustment when the reservation got canceled. On December 1, 2021 you had a reservation HMCPCMJNTZ with Catherine which you couldn't accommodate because of safety issue with your son. The guest already paid for the reservation worth CA$10,672.28. On that reservation you already received the initial payout of CA$1,504.15 but since the reservation got canceled and the rest of the payments was put on pause as well. So the guest already received the CA$1,504.15 but did not receive the rest of the refund yet.
Please refer to our direct correspondence on May 06, 2022
We regret any inconvenience that this process may have caused. However, we have issued our final decision for this case and we will disengage from further discussion on this topic.

In this their response via BBB they  skewed the facts, made me look bad. Making it sound as I received $1,504.15 and did not host the guest and as if the reservation started on December 1, 2021. Which is FALSE. The guest stayed 1 month and 2 weeks at my house and we got along very well. The reservation started from October 1, 2021 and meant to end on October 14, 2022, but it was canceled abruptly by Airbnb on a flimsy excuse without hearing anything from me. 

In their response you can see that they admitted that my payments were put on pause, meaning I did not receive the said $7,854.33. 

If they knew that I did not receive that money why are they deciding to use my present and future payout monies to repay the money they never paid to me in the first place?

This is a shameless, bold-face scamming and fraud. As per their response to BBB they said they had made their final decision on my matter. What a nerve?

They called it pending adjustment. Pending over 5 months ago. Do you know that there are monies Airbnb owed me since early 2019 which still says pending adjustment on my Airbnb file? Yet they did not pay it. And now they are saying $7,854.33 is a pending adjustment, nonetheless, I must reimburse it to the guest with my present and future payouts.

Isn't that UNJUST? 

Yes, I contacted Customer Service (CS) of Airbnb after I contacted Paypal. I even put Paypal agent on the phone to explain to Airbnb that Paypal did not receive $7,854.33 from Airbnb at any time to disburse to me monthly. Paypal further explained that they don't keep money beyond 21 days maximum without returning the money back to sender. Airbnb is just lying and making me to chase a shadow hiding behind Paypal. 

What they are doing to me is unheard of. For a hospitality company to tell to a host to repay money which the company has never paid to the host in the first place. 

Very UNJUST.