Airbnb's Guest Identity Verification

Cherie71
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

Airbnb's Guest Identity Verification

The second time in the last couple of weeks, I received a long-term inquiry from someone who turned out to be scamming.  Both of the guests had 'Airbnb Identity Verified'. Now, how can that be?

It is difficult to believe someone who is trying to scam would use their true driver's license or passport so what is Airbnb doing to identify?

15 Replies 15
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Cherie71 

In what way were they scamming ?

(So we can learn from it and be alert)

Amy1554
Level 3
Boston, MA

Co-ask 

Cherie71
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

Both turned out to use the translation device (?) - both asked for long stays; 91 days/81 days -had a decent cover story - after lengthy discussions asked if I would contact them thru WhatsApp- getting into a more personal discussion that seemed questionable.  I continued the conversation for a while considering the cultural differences that may be coming into play. Both used the excuse the translation device on Airbnb was too difficult to use and wanted to 'discuss' the rental payments.

The first guy, last week, must have done the same thing with others because Airbnb blocked him. As soon as I got his message about giving me his Whats App number, I simply said all payments go through Airbnb and left the conversation.

I want to know how they were verified by Airbnb.

That is my question.

@Cherie71 sometimes if you dont tick government id required or you do and they provide gov Id of a less solid nature they are passed on with a flag and will be required on IB to send a message . Go back and check if Air sent you a flag H

I have a Government ID required on all my listings.  I never received a flag from Airbnb.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

What did Airbnb say when you asked them @Cherie71 

By the way yes I agree ID is important which is why I'm. surprised you have photos of dogs rather than yourself on your profile;

@Helen3 - my dog photo is for me; guests very rarely, if ever, see me. Most of my properties use self-check-in and a number of properties there are property managers.  I wouldn't put the photo of every property manager either.

I would like GUESTS who enter my homes to be properly ID'd.  Frankly, your comment was unnecessary and a bit off-putting.  I've had guests show a photo of when they were in their 20's and they arrive barely able to drive they are so old and feeble.  A photo can be of anyone. It has no ID power!

Airbnb has not responded to my concern.  

@Cherie71 Haha H

@Cherie 71, sometimes that just means some type of welfare or health card etcetera. All government issued  ids. H

or in this case 'passports'. could be anyones as well H

Where did they put that page or is it eliminated to click Govt. ID required and those other qualifiers like Must have reviews, and how much ID like 3 pieces.  I cannot find any of it

on my platform. It is disappeared for me.  How about you?

Susan

It is under the Policies and Rules section -Instant Booking area on my page.

Well all that section is not presented to me  because I do not have IB. They offer all those things to Instant Book listings as an incentive to click IB, making you fee safe using it and incentivizing you with priority placement promises. 

Since canceling IB the quality of guest inquiring about my guesthouses has skyrocketed and I am in complete control of who gets in and who does not. I can make any number of requirements for entrance and ask all the questions I want and make my own decision to accept or decline with impunity.

Susan

@Susan990 , if you have removed IB then it has disappeared because it is part of due diligance for IB. Just sometimes  the booking bot will let some weird Ids thru to IB. How long since you removed IB? Because I thought you had lost a lot of bookings with the new rollout ? H