Another airbnb house party makes the news...

Another airbnb house party makes the news...

Mega "airbnb house party" in Sunnyvale, CA, hundreds of people, advertised all over social media, underage drinking, two shootings, one dead.

Don't know the back story but obviously not authorized by the host. 

Now the City of Sunnyvale is considering banning all airbnb's.

Meanwhile,  many hosts complain on the CC that airbnb does not back them up to stop parties.  Lets the guests get away with it and often sides with the guest over the host.    (ie revenge reviews allowed, not supported with damage claims, etc).

When will they learn.  

41 Replies 41

What the heck!? @Inna22 !   👆👆

@Emilia42 what????!!!!! I do not even allow one night rentals. Ever. Had a request from someone who stayed with me before and till said no. Will work ASAP on trying to take it down. Thank you so much for the tag!

@Inna22  And report her to Airbnb while you're at it. Tell them she is promoting Airbnbs as party houses - if she has an Airbnb account, she should be banned. What a clueless jerk she is.

@Sarah977  the links are all to Vrbo and when you click on it, there is a banner that the site has a partnership with Vrbo. They probably get a percentage of booking 

VRBO actively promotes party houses? Wow. 
@Inna22 were you able to remove your listing?

@Colleen253  It does appear that VRBO has not turned off the "Parties and events allowed"  option.   Since Airbnb caught the most flack in the media for out-of-control parties, it's suddenly not surprising that they would (temporarily) disable the "Parties and Events allowed" option, while, at the same time, not really doing anything about it - one has to be competitive, of course.   VRBO lay low and let the storm hit elsewhere.

I think the problem is that STRs have become synonymous with "Airbnb", in the same way that facial tissues are "Kleenex". 

People are not famous, these days, for reading instructions or listing details, or parsing any differences between booking VRBO or booking Airbnb.

If VRBO is out there allowing events and parties, and sites like Trip101 are making money posting fluff pieces about "X Best Party Houses"  (by the way, they also have "21 Best Party Houses in LA" - if anyone is in LA, better check if you are on the list), it isn't hard to see why people would just assume you can party at an Airbnb, rules notwithstanding. 

I don’t think they know what is being promoted, just pay for links to their site. No one responded to me yet @Colleen253 

@Anonymous  You're right - I didn't notice that before.  Yikes !

Good catch though @Michelle53 

@Dave52 

@Michelle53 @Jillian115 @Inna22 @Emilia42 and others

It appears as if Kavita has been in here in CC posted using her own name with 12 after it doing study whilst at University.

Her hair appears to be straighter than it was, but do check properly as we have simply put that name into the search-box where you can find her posts with that name and number with her topics.

Have a play around with using the @  who are registered in CC with that name as that's one way to do process of elimination to verify her ID.

Did she seek your consent to list your Properties for her project?

Maybe contact the university to where she has been based.

All the best

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Michelle53  I can't even tell you how livid I would be if I ever found my place listed on a site like this. It beggars belief. 

If this reputation continues ABB will soon go the way of MySpace. People who are serious about just finding an alternative to hotels will migrate away leaving the platform to party brats, cheating spouses and mail fraudsters. The brand will be the equivalent of the Weinstein Company.

@Laura2592   There are so many things wrong with it, it's hard to know where to start. But I found that site in about 2 minutes just by randomly googling. Who knows how many others (worse) are out there ?