Bait and Switch, when a person reserved my room, but a completely different person showed up.

Rod-and-Teresa0
Level 2
Anchor Point, AK

Bait and Switch, when a person reserved my room, but a completely different person showed up.

My room was instantly booked by an AirBnB member. But on the day of check in, she didn't show up. Instead, a man she never mentioned showed up expecting to get keys to my home.

I called her and she apologized. She said she would be at my place last evening, but never showed up. Now I have a stranger who isn't connected to AirBnB staying in my home and the person making/paying for the reservation is a no-show.

What to do?

He seems nice enough, but everything about this reservation hasn't gone as she said it would. I am not happy with how this has unfolded, but I don't want to jump to conclusions, or go against AirBnB's policies.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Thank you in advance!

Rod

2 Replies 2

@Rod-and-Teresa0  That's a tough one. I would've said don't let the guy in in the first place. But now that he's there, you'll at least want some documentation of his identity in case something happens. I'd be curious about what Airbnb would advise you to do, since they don't have a protocol for moving a reservation from one user account to another.

After several unsuccessful attempts to contact my original guest this morning, I've communicated to her and the gentleman that did show up that unless she comes by today to clear things up, he will have to leave by noon. 

This guy doesn't have an AirBnB account and the person who does is a complete no-show. AirBnB may not have a protocol, but my protocol has to kick in. I can't have anyone in the home that isn't covered by AirBnB's insurance. I feel bad for the guy, but this is too strange not to take action on.