Booking Enquiry

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Booking Enquiry

Hi All,

I previously had a Guest and his family stay after an initial visit to see the house and to meet us and we are once again being asked to show a prospective Guest around (who may be viewing other places and deciding on their choice - after viewing - since its a longer stay).

This Guest has no Reviews and didn't offer her reason for visiting.  We have provisionally agreed a time but of course she has to ask for our address in order to visit and I am feeling aware that we know nothing about her as yet. Under the circumstances I have asked her to provide some info. Is it reasonable to ask for her home address (since she will have ours prior to booking - which is not the norm). Has anyone else gone through this process or similar? Is it possibly unwise to agree to 'viewings'? Any thoughts appreciated.

I think perhaps I'm baulking at the one-way direction of this Enquiry. But perhaps she simply hasn't thought to offer some info about herself.....??? I have suggested she fill me in a little more. This may not suit her ... we will have to see!!

21 Replies 21
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Mary996 

It's a regular topic here, whether or not to accept a viewing.

On the plus side, if it's a longer booking in a private room, the clients get to see the place and you get to see them and come to an preliminary impression if the idea of a long stay is a goer. This at least cuts out guest expectations falling short and lessens dispute issues.

On the negative side, people will say a, woe betide, danger of potential guests wanting to circumventing airbnb fees and going direct and asking for a discount furthermore depriving you of the airbnb billion dollar gold standard host guarantee.

Also there is a likelihood, albeit fanciful,  of these so called lookers being interpol class bandits masquerading as guests and wish to deprive you of your chattels in the middle of the night with an elaborate and cunning heist, once they have your address and set of door keys. 

Every venture has a degree of risk, you could agree to view, or reject, or suggest a one-night booking under a special offer even, if they are serious.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Hey that's a brilliant suggestion @Elena87 a one night stand (I mean booking....!!!). Yes if she's coming down to have a look she might as well stay. I may suggest it. Thanks.

Love the cunning heist plot... haha!!

Circumventing fee attempts just haven't surfaced since I was a newbie. I am just so not going to entertain that.

Million dollar gold standard host guarantee... a woman with my sense of humour ... also brilliant . Well I'm glad I asked. This is turning out to be good entertainment....!!!!

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Dear All,

Thank you so much for each of these really helpful tips and suggestions. I am going to put some further work into my Listing based upon your very kind input, ideas and experience.

@Elena87, @Cathie19  @Stephanie365, @Nina75  @Flavia202 @Dale711  @Helen3  

@Elena87 how lovely to meet you! Thank you so much for commenting. I was  re-assured to hear that this matter of prior viewings is a regular topic. That was so helpful to know. I really appreciated all of your observations and did especially enjoy your humour. I would like to ask you something which I've been wondering which is are you enthusiastic about the new HAB arrangement? I'm keen... I mention in full disclosure as it seems to be a fresh approach... what do you think? But please don't feel obliged to comment or reply I'm just grateful for your earlier input on my query. Thanks again. I very much hope to see more of you and to be working alongside you in supporting Hosts and in promoting Airbnb to be the best that it can be.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Mary996 .

I think you have to do what you are comfortable with....

Personally I’ve never allowed on site viewings, when asked, as I say that it goes against our policy and procedures for our Airbnb space. Simple. I’m sure you wouldn’t walk someone through it if you had a guest staying..... So to me, the same privacy rules apply.

The security is that it’s a home first... yours! You get to call the shots as you see fit. Not bend your rules to suit someone else. How needy might they be, or become? 

Other hosts may offer varying opinions that suit you better, but to me if you have a good  a

and comprehensive descriptor, plenty of images of the Airbnb space not your personal /private space or the front of the house (if not needed) and then are willing to answer other questions, then that’s more than enough. I’ve said as much when I’ve responded. “Happy to answer any questions you may have, not already covered in the photo images and descriptor of the listing.”

But I never have any intention to walk people through the space. I’m not a large hotel, nor am I taking long term renters.

As extra information if they ask ( but not specifically for the descriptor, unless “other things to note”: You may want to do rough measurements of the floor space of the rooms of interest, the number of power-points, lamps, desk etc in the space/s  and if there is wifi available. (no passwords)  Washing/ cooking  facilities etc. that covers everything basically they want to see for themselves. If a longer stay, are they likely to want to have mail sent to your address, which makes them legal dwellers in many instances. Beware businesses or Govt applications,  or scams being set up using your address. (Many a thread in the CC with negative stories)

I agree with @Elena87, that they could make a short booking to get the feel of the place, but I personally would be on guard...  What’s your local by-laws for rental lengths needing a lease or squatters rights? Be forewarned and forearmed.  

FYI: Do you have locks on personal spaces and filing cabinets and your bedroom door/s etc? I would consider this paramount anyway. Including separate wifi access passwords etc. (Keep your stuff safer and even if using the same IP address, can more easily identify any inappropriate sites, as not being from you or Izzie.)

Another thing to consider is “how long” is a longer stay? Will they be wanting to do heavier cooking if longer term? Smells etc.... Will they want to have “friends” visit and stay over? 

This might not matter if STR is the norm, but there is nothing in your house rules that I can see, that may cover any future issues with guests taking over the space, more than you would want them to...  more furniture and luggage etc. Always plan for the worst and add to your house rules to mitigate and cover as your contingency plan. They must also accept those house rules in writing. 🙂 

Protects everyone as everyone knows where they stand! 

I DO hope this gives confidence for you to go with your gut feelings. 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Many thanks for your inspiring reply @Cathie19 .... and yes I'm not a hotel but the mutual checking each other over has appeal as she will be longish term but as a clearly defined Holiday Let - a Tenure would not be being created although at that rate she'd be welcome!!!

Definitely an opportunity to spruce up house rules (she will be coming to a job locally and is waiting for the Lease on a house. We had another guest on a  similar basis previously who we helped move. Both students at the Uni here in the past.

Well I shall just have to get pen to paper and firm up those house rules.....!!!!

Glad @Mary996  to hear things are being sorted.

Also glad you are adding to your house rules. Never assume you are on the same wave length. Being nice and having conversations, just isn’t enough for it’s akin to operating on a wing and a prayer. Extras written into a welcome guide, but not on the published listing, also becomes a “he said she said” kind of argument. For if it’s NOT in print where it matters, it didn’t exist and doesn’t exist. So having two legs to stand on if needed, is really important. Well done. 🌻

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Mary996 

In five years of hosting,  I have never let a guest come and see my place in advance of booking, and even more so in the current Covid climate, particularly when they have announced their intention to visit multiple homes.

As you know you wouldn't be able to accept visitors in your home during our current Covid legislation or indeed even let them stay for any bookings before 17 May, so in this case it's not something you even need to consider.

Hosts who do accept people visiting their place before booking report they either turn out to be problem guests and don't go onto book.

I appreciate that is not everyone's experience, but it is the experience of many.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Bookings have opened in Wales. It was my mistaken guess that she intends to inspect multiple places.

She has responded to my satisfaction with requested info so all is well.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Ah apologies @Mary996  I didn't spot you are in Wales.  These different sets of legislation are confusing. 

Do let us know how it goes.

Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

@Mary996, you could be setting yourself up for break-ins.  See if captioning your pics would help to reduce such pre-booking requests.  

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Hi @Flavia202 

Captioning my pics? Do you mean adding Guest comments for illustration?

Hi @Mary996, I mean you could use some of the text in your listing to similarly add details about each of your photos)...
Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Mary996,

If I were you, I’d accept the guest to visit or stay for few days and let both sides consider the extent of monthly stay.

If the guest interested, I'll ask her to fill up the rental application form, detail with the documents of :

1. Id or passport copy
  2. Student or employment document and income information 
  3. Emergency contact ( person, phone number and relationship)
  4. Home address 
  5. Rental housing history

It's legal to ask for all this information and use it to make rental decisions and well communication is necessary before accepting someone for a long term stay in the shared housing.

Of course, the guests need to make the booking through Airbnb. In the same period, guests indeed to know the place is satisfied or not.

Since Airbnb is guaranteed for the first-month stay payment, and if the guest needs the three months to stay.

I’ll advise the guest to make the three bookings.

Reservations monthly and explain this would be the safe ways for both sides.

Besides the above, I may request a deposit of the keys, during the check out I'll collect the keys and refund the deposit to her.

Wish your guest have a pleasant visit.

Ways to go!

Happy Hosting.

Ridiculous!