Can I invite friends for a tea

Philipp1965
Level 2
Osnabrück, Germany

Can I invite friends for a tea

Hello everyone,

this is my first time using Airbnb so I am not an expert. I've rented an entire flat for 3 months because I am doing an Internship. 

The rules of the flat are no parties, no pets and no babies.

The owner added "civilisation guests only". 

So my question is: Can I invite a friend or someone from work for a tea or coffee?

I am not planning to throw a party or something. But I am staying for nearly 90 days and might want to have some private chats at home with a friend from time to time

Thank you all for your help

9 Replies 9
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Philipp1965 

"civilisation guests only" 😄 😄

You should ask your host, not us.

It is complicated to explain where is a line between what is acceptable and what is not and that's why most hosts don't allow any visitors 24/7, period. At least for short stays, but for midterm and long stays may be different so you should talk with your host. You see, it depends is it the entire home or shared with your host or other guests and roommates, is it an occasional visitor who will drop by and stay an hour or two for a coffee or the one  (or more of them) who will come in the morning, cook and eat with you, take a shower and then watch the movies until midnight... or until the morning. And if the host allows occasional brief visits how could he possibly know when your visitor arrived and left?

But usually, overnight guests are not allowed without host's agreement and additional payment.

Thank you so much 🙂 have a good day

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Philipp1965 it looks as though you are OK to have a friend round but it would be preferable to check with the host.

Thank you! 🙂

@Philipp1965  Any time you're not sure what is meant by a weirdly phrased rule, it's best to just ask the person who wrote it. But even in the absence of a clear rule, you should never invite an unregistered visitors into an Airbnb home without an explicit arrangement with the host.

A common complaint from hosts who permit those "just for tea" visitors is that the guests wind up taking far more liberties than they agreed on. You wouldn't believe how many disasters begin with a seemingly innocent request like that. So even if you are fully earnest in your intentions, an experienced host would have good reason to be skeptical. 

Admittedly, so would I. Even without the pandemic backdrop, someone's private Airbnb rental is an oddly intimate location for a cup of tea with the company intern. 

Kelcee0
Level 3
Grand Bay-Westfield, Canada

Hi.. I agree that it sounds like the host allows guests to have guests, but I'm sure they will appreciate if you double check with them. It will also show them that you read the rules and respect them. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Philipp1965 

I agree with the other hosts that you should ask your host.

Personally, I do allow long term guests have a friend visit from time to time, but they must ask first. I would be super annoyed if guests had visitors without my permission.These days, with the pandemic, I would feel uncomfortable having too many strangers in and out, but that's just me.

Your host might not be that bothered about it, but I am sure they would appreciate being asked. The fact that you're double checking would show that you are a considerate guest.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Philipp1965  I would assume that "civilization guests only" means the host is letting his paying guests (you in this case) know he expects them to behave themselves. 

Someone you have over for a visit is not a guest. On Airbnb, "guest" means the person who booked to stay. There is no such thing as guests of guests. That would be called a visitor.

And as others said, you should always check with your host as to whether it's okay to invite anyone over.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Philipp1965  Ask your host about it.  Our rules say no one is allowed on the property other than registered guests without notice and permission from the hosts.  Most of the time, when someone has asked if X/cousin/friend/relative could come over for dinner or whatever, we almost always have said yes.