Cancelation and Review

Evren4
Level 2
Pittsburgh, PA

Cancelation and Review

Hi Everyone,

I am sure you all have had the same problem as I am having with Airbnb review policies.  As a super host for so long, I am trying to give the best service to all of my guests as of you.  The guest made a reservation and canceled the reservation right before the check-in and send me a message, asking me to refund the money.  According to my cancelation policy, I don't make refunds if the guest cancels the reservation on the same day they are checking in.  However, Airbnb gives the rights to review the host even though the guest never checks in to your place on same-day cancelation.  Some guests are using this loophole and threatening the host to get a refund in the exchange for a review.  It happened three times so far and I am losing my patience.  Airbnb doing nothing to fix this issue.  How can make a review if you don't step into the house?  And you get a bad review if you don't refund the money.  Airbnb does not protect the host in this situation.  

7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Evren4  If they make these threats of a bad review if you don't refund in the Airbnb messaging, you need to report them to Airbnb for extortion, which is against the TOS. Then be adamant that they not be allowed to leave a review, or if they do leave a bad review and ratings, ask CS to remove it. If guests try to tell you this by phone or text, tell them you only communicate with guests on the messaging.

This business of letting a guest leave a review who has never arrived is absurd and drives all hosts crazy.

Thank you @Sarah977 .  The guest does not state directly about the review but they mean it.  It is just not right.  I have fought over the phone many times about this issue.  I am thinking to stop doing Airbnb and rent my places.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Or just use other listing platforms or market your listings directly.

I've not encountered issues with guests cancelling on the same day. Sorry this is an issue where you are based @Evren4 

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

@Evren4   

I’m sorry to hear that you’re disappointed, and frustrating.

Yet,you’re not alone, I do experience more than dozen of guests didn’t check in, demanding of full refund. While I declined the
reimbursement or either fully refunded to the guest. But they still wrote a bad review for my listings and complete with 1 star for accuracy, communication, check in, location and cleanliness. Nevertheless, they didn’t check in and either stay in my home.

While I acknowledge to the Airbnb Support Help Center and  reported to the reviews team many times. Even so, the case manager doesn’t remove it. Guess what they saids ?They responded the reviews content can’t find it violating the Airbnb review standards. 
I’ was feelings really upset and questioned myself why Airbnb treated host unfairly ? 

Then I go though other listings in my neighborhood, guest wrote a negative review, some hosts responded in the review to the public guest didn’t check in and leaves a prejudiced review. 
Apparently, I realized guest  is always in the “Top Priority” especially we’re in the service hospitality field and I understood how to take in as Airbnb is trust and safety platform. 

Look! Your listing are lovely’s. As matter of fact, you have over 400 ++ great reviews. The 0.5% of untrue reviews it’s will never drag you down. Airbnb has badge you as Superhost, you do have many Airbnb guests love your listings and continue to wish to stay in your home.

That is your goal ! Always look on the bright side, your listing are accurate and never give up to Airbnb and move to other platform because of the reviews. It will not worded it.

I hope you  consider to sticks around here and being proud to be A Airbnb Superhost, make possible by the hosts. 

By the way, did you notice in beginning  of March 2021, Airbnb launch the new campaign “ Make Possible By Host” ? It’s inspiring me and hope you do too.

As present, over 5M views and thousands of like, this is only in the YouTube channel, haven’t counted on other social media.

In the link below is once of the touching once, hope you liked its.

https://youtu.be/3oQ721__9yg

Happy Hosting 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Evren4 There was a recent post that said Airbnb will remove a review if guest canceled before checkin if either party request it. Said it was a recent change. So I would encourage guest to cancel on their end that host can't cancel guest and that Airbnb handles all the refunds and cancelations but that the guest must cancel on their end. 

Michelle104
Level 2
Thousand Oaks, CA

This is awful!  Try a strict cancellation policy. I have never had a problem and I am always booked.

Jan9982
Level 2
Wilmington, NC

I have a strict cancellation policy. Someone this week says that she accidentally booked for the wrong night and asked if I could refund. I told her I cannot. She had a mid week one night rental at a low price. Then she asked if I could refund cleaning price. When we decide price, we consider cleaning as income and go to great lengths to make sure we are available, in town, etc to properly host Nc clean. We have a strict cancellation policy. Will she be allowed to review us if I tell her no on any refund? It’s almost like blackmail. This is really worrisome. I am clear about our policy.