Cleaning Service vs Guest

Cleaning Service vs Guest

My cleaning service told me that my last guests left my condo "the dirtiest they've ever seen it". I left the guest review based on what my cleaning service relayed to me (my review: ... communicated great. Unfortunately my condo was not left in the best condition by the group).  My guest responded and argued against it saying they left everything great.  There was no property damage done according to my service, just things left dirty. 

How are situations like these usually handled? 

3 Replies 3

@Abel4751  I recommend only making factual claims in the review that you can personally attest to. I don't know how strong your relationship with the cleaning service is, but I'd want to either inspect the home myself or see some time-stamped photos before publishing a critical review. Your guests do have reason to be annoyed if you reviewed them based solely on secondhand information.

In the future, both your guests and your cleaners would appreciate it if your House Rules and checkout instructions were clearer about what specific cleaning tasks you expect guests to perform before departure. Guests have many different ideas about how much dirtiness is OK to leave behind when they've paid a $190 Cleaning Fee, and when you're dealing with large groups, it's important to make the departure as smooth and easy as possible. Meanwhile, the biggest complaint cleaning services have about remote Airbnb hosts is that they're pressured to do these unpredictable changeovers after large groups in totally unrealistic turnaround times. Part of your job as a host who outsources cleaning is to mediate both interests and make sure everyone involved comes out happy.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Abel4751  I would definitely not have said the guest left it in dirty condition based purely on what your cleaners told you. That's not a fact- it's hearsay. 

There are many subjective ideas about what is "clean" and what is not. Both between hosts and guests and even among hosts, who may vary in their practical approach as to what to expect from guests in terms of clean-up. 

As Andrew said, get your cleaners to take time-stamped photos if they feel it's an over the top mess.

And if you are going to cram 8 beds into a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom place, with dining table seating for only 6 and the same in the living room, and list for 10, be prepared for lots of mess. 

John4704
Level 3
Winter Park, FL

FYI, you will receIve AIRBNB apologies, but damage claims AREN'T  handled by Airbnb.   The Resolutions Center and 'AirCover' is a farce, a fake 'host insurance' set-up--it DOES NOT protect the Hosts. [I am a lawyer and Super Host for 5 yrs.]      A recent Airbnb 4.5 guest (4 guests booked.... and 14 rowdy guests in attendance)  trashed our home with an  all-night party, disturbing our neighbors with loud music & alcohol & cars , and causing $850 damages plus extra cleaning.   I called Airbnb the first 'morning after' and wanted to cancel--but Airbnb Rep 'advised against canceling".    I was offered repeated assurances by Airbnb Support that I would be protected & reimbursed by filing a claim with Airbnb Resolutions Center--no worries.  And I did that--just as they requested.  I filed & sent photos and a receipts from our Host/Manager for various damages.  All of this took multiple messages, phone calls,  and  every Rep. gave re-assurances that Airbnb would take care of everything.  A month later I receive a response the CLAIM is DENIED.   What a joke...and disappointment!   If you think you are 'protected by Airbnb' with compensation for damages, think again.  Their Reps are trained to offer plenty of apologies ("I am so sorry you had this experience) but forget any compensation from Airbnb.   I thought Airbnb had our back--but now I think I am going to quit Airbnb.   Hosts are flying naked without backup.     PS:  I sent a  "Request for money" to the guest for 10 'extra guests'  staying, and the Guest messaged back (while at the party) that an Airbnb Rep told him he could "pay charges only if he wanted to".  Guest declined of course (and Airbnb still gives him a 4.5 rating).