Community Leader

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Community Leader

A recent email from Airbnb:

We’re looking for passionate Host volunteers who are interested in growing the Host community in their city or region. As a Community Leader, you will have the opportunity to bring Hosts together, elevate the Host voice in the decision-making process at Airbnb, and build partnerships through local advocacy.

More:

https://www.airbnb.com/d/community-leaders

Thoughts ?

9 Replies 9
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Emiel1  For free?

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Pat271 

Maybe an Airbnb keyring or an Airbnb shopping  bag will be sent.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emiel1 

They were going to send me a tea towel. It never arrived...

Didn’t see an hourly rate in there.

why add another layer of complexity to the system.

HIRE GOOD STAFF and train them properly instead of asking the inventory to do it for FREE!

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Pat271 It does say "volunteers" 

BTW I didn't get one. I do keep in touch with other host when out for a walk and stop and chat. 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Emiel1  @Stephanie @Quincy @Lizzie The cool part of Airbnb and the Community Center is the wide variety of people/hosts involved from the world over with their personalities, styles and different lives. Some folks are always going to be bystanders in what ever they undertake and that's how things function, the type A's, the extroverts, the Boss type, will not just be bystanders but wanting and finding involvement some for $$ money, some for other reasons. I truly believe people are most always looking to belong, find a purpose, maybe its to serve, as a reason for doing much of what they do in life. All according to upbringing, lack of or overabundance of or perfectly balanced guidance in early life and much more. And some just watch and listen and hang back and that's fine.

But others will be vocal, out front and often wanting to share their ideas, concepts and beliefs. And usually they are up for a new challenge, learning and expanding. Some do a variety of all of this. For many just doing the minimum is fine and others will be the over achievers every time. And be surprised that others don't understand the way they see and think about stuff. That's the beauty of life, people and cultures and influencing factors that make up who we are, why we do what we do and how we filter the world around us.

I say all that to say: When I began my journey with Airbnb 5 yrs ago I was temporarily fragile and looking to find balance in my world which had been interrupted by trauma. I'm the type A, over achiever, and so I was quick to throw myself into hosting, but not before studying and learning the platform and how it really works so I could thrive in my new venture of hosting. So it was not a surprise when I was the person answering the questions at the local community meet up for the local hosts that sponsored the meet up with the state heads for our community from Airbnb.

So when asked if I'd join in and lead the community efforts of course I said yes. I didn't want a job, I had just retired and wanted to have the best airbnb I could in our town and let others know they too could do the same if they did it the right way and leaned about the platform. I also knew that there's plenty of people coming to our beach city so we aren't really in competition with each other. That we could be community together and share, learn and grow....everyone has different experiences and ways they do what they do and so it made perfect sense to have a community of hosts/privately and FB seems the most viable way to connect folks. So the community leaders started forming. 

Its correct, we don't get paid $$ but the connection, challenges and learning involved is priceless. I'm sure many of you have done things that you got compensation on many other levels. oh, I was a massage therapist volunteer for 14yrs with hospice - the riches times in my life, all for no $$$ but I'd never trade the treasures in my world, heart and soul for that experience. 

You see, I'm that type and serving as a community leader/moderator in our town is a natural fit for me - When starting I had a few mentors while in the beginning stages and I think that's the natural flow of things...I think for many getting paid for everything they do is what they've learned, and how they live. I've worked jobs since 14yrs. old but the most precious of my life efforts have been the volunteer work - I do it for much more than $$ money. Many will understand that, many will say, how stupid. 

Things change when you are on the payroll and expectations change tremendously...so we pick and choose what brings us joy, pleasure, satisfaction and helps complete the WHY for our lives at a certain time. 

I totally enjoy being a community leader, its challenging, helps me rethink many things about hosting, being a guest and much  more especially in how I communicate with people. Having traveled much of the world and loved all those experiences they helped me become who I am. Just as you were influenced by all you do and have done and will do in the future. 

Guess we have to check what's the value of doing something in our world against not doing something. That's the beauty: we get to pick and choose. 

I want to grow, learn and expand my world in whatever I do....so being a community leader helps me do some of that - so its a natural fit for me. 

Everything doesn't have to have a $$ payback on it, at least not for me. This is what being a community leader is for me. You will know if you too are that type person - seems to be a no brainer for me....???

best blessings to all, Clara

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Clara116 , really love sentiment and I appreciate you sharing your motivations! 

To everyone else, in case you missed it - for several years you've had the "Get Local" option in the navbar below your profile. Here, you will find local events and Facebook groups that are run by Host Club leaders, with Airbnb's support. 

Consider the Community Center your place for global connection and Host Clubs for local! Let me know if you want to know more about Club leaders (though I'm sure @Clara116 can give you the skinny!)

And @John5097 , I can put you in touch if you want to explore becoming a Club lead in Charleston

Thanks

@Emiel1  @Deborah350 @Huma0 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

“…elevate the Host voice in the decision-making process at Airbnb…”

?? Even the HAB, who are compensated, can’t seem to elevate the host voice to any tangible degree. Why would one want to volunteer  to do this in an arena where their efforts are guaranteed to produce no benefits? Your host voice is better heard on this community forum. Until it gets you banned, that is. 

@Emiel1 @John5097 @Deborah350 @Pat271 @Huma0 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Stephanie @Colleen253 @Pat271 @Emiel1 

I'll need to check out some of the local groups. Usually when I volunteer its for a non profit, such as trash clean up, posting signs and keeping watch over protected rookeries for endangered birds, etc.   

See our STR Task Force meetings:

https://www.charleston-sc.gov/2530/Short-Term-Rental-Task-Force-2016-2017

But this could be a good way to network depending on my future plans. I'm defiantly good at hosting. So thanks for thinking of me but I only have a legal STR and don't want to get too involved in ongoing controversy or legal issues especially on social media.   

Inside Airbnb’s ‘Guerrilla War’ Against Local Governments

https://www.wired.com/story/inside-airbnbs-guerrilla-war-against-local-governments/