Community Spotlight: Fred13

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Community Spotlight: Fred13

Bhumika_1-1677166689413.pngHello Everyone,

I am excited to announce this month’s Community Spotlight with @Fred13

Bhumika_2-1677166717084.png@Fred13  has a gorgeous Bird Island (a unique private Island in Belize), which gives a one-of-a-kind experience to the guests! A great place to spend time in the middle of the Caribbean Sea, surrounded by gorgeous clear water that is home to a beautiful coral reef.

Bird Island hosted by FredBird Island hosted by Fred

So let us know more, about what  @Fred13  has to say about his Host journey and experiences!

How long have you been hosting, and what inspired you to start?

We are in our 8th year, with Airbnb since the beginning.

Tell us a little about your listing. What is your favourite part of the listing?

It started from very humble beginnings and slowly has morphed into a lot more. Since its inception, the building has been the most fun aspect. The most favourite part has been the gratefulness of our guests for staying there.

A fireside get-together of guestsA fireside get-together of guests

How long have you been part of the Community Center, and why did you join?

I believe 2016, right after Airbnb included us in one of their “'Like This, Live There' ad campaigns.

What is your favourite part about being a Host?

Our favourite aspect of hosting is the opportunity (and reason) to create something new. Not a day goes by that we do not get excited about some new idea, though many do not make it to the final stage for a myriad of reasons, the exercise itself is part of the most fun of hosting for us.

When you are not hosting, what do you like doing?

Reading, working on our boats, helping with local community projects and travelling. Of course, pretending to be listening to the wife is the most important one.

Do you have any hobbies? If you were to try one new thing what would it be? 

Fly fishing has been part of my life since I was 15 years old. Was in that industry for 25 years (1975-2010). My latest passion is paddle boarding the endless white sand, and turquoise waters of Belize.

What is the one thing you cannot live without?

Reading, learning and thinking.

Where would your dream holiday be?

Now, it would be the South Pacific and Antarctica.

What would you do if you ever won the lottery?

Donate whatever I don’t need to the welfare of animals and to wounded veteran organizations. I have been donating for years to those two causes.

If you could live somewhere else in the world where would it be?

Though I keep looking, to date I haven’t discovered a better one than where I live now.

Do you have a fun fact? 

Over the years we have had our share of unusual guests; like the one that showed up with his boss’s wife, the ones in whose what they do or who they really are is still a secret, the mystery writer who came to gain inspiration, the ones in which to this day we are clueless who is with who or why they refer to one another with pronouns that make no sense to us and the list goes on and on. No matter what, we just pretend we do not get it. 

Anything else you would like to tell us about?

We are still at a loss as to what it was that we saw when starting out on our island journey long ago, what article of faith we drew from then because when we look back we still wonder why the dream of building a little island from nothing even really struck us. Today, however, not a day goes by that we are not grateful we did it.

Thank you so much @Fred13 for sharing your story with us and actively being an amazing part of our Community!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

13 Replies 13
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Can't believe we've only just Spotlit you @Fred13 , you're a CC celeb! Glad to read more about you here, thank you. And congratulations on your recent appointment as the Host Club leader for Belize! You and @Clara116 can swap tips.

Thanks

-----

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Stephanie @Bhumika 

@Fred13 

Excellent stuff to be spotlighting Fred.  Love reading the stories about other hosts. 

Awesome FRED!

I'm thrilled to read you are a community leader for Belize and I'd love to hear all about how it's going. 

I love being a community leader and sharing the cool things involved in all parts of that. I haven't seen you on the FB community leaders group yet? 

Let me know if you need any help.

Happy hosting, happy leading,

Clara@116

Will do @Clara116, besides always love to get your perspective on things. I think we came from very similar molds. 🙂

@Fred13 yes I think you are right on! 

Hugs,

Clara 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Clara116 though @Fred13 is a newbie in the leader realm he already has 44 people in his club after less than a week! 

🎉

-----

@Stephanie I just joined his group and he's up to 48 and growing. I know Fred will do great! 

It's hard for me to believe my group was started with me and now almost 600...crazy.

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Bhumika thank you for inviting @Fred13 to give us an insight to another part of world that we live in. The information from @Fred13 allows ones imagination to expand to think out side the box, how to be creative, to dream, make the most of an opportunity and to creat a buisness, Lastly what a dream.

@Fred13 the question that is on my mind is, Have you noticed over time and seeing  the waters around your property rising?

Where we live by the beach, it seems that our tides are slowly rising over this last year and starting to move our sand dunes and disturbing the soil underneath the trees and grasses hugging the banks of the bay.

I am just curious to know if you are seeing changes with the ocean. Thank you for sharing your Airbnb life.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Laurelle3 ,

Totally agree! Love how each Community Spotlight encourages us to widen our horizons and achieve big things for ourselves. Truly inspiring🙌

-----

@Laurelle3  A most interesting question, and I must say it 'seems' it has but maybe we have subconsciously adopted to it by filling our island a little bit more each year and that has compensated for the change. And thank you for the kind thoughts.

I do spend much time nowadays trying something new and sharing it with others. My latest kick is Paddle Boarding, but with some 'compromises' to compensate for our advanced age. After falling 10x trying to stand up on one, and hearing my friends laugh from the shore, I think I got the 'perfect' compromise, one more for us older folks. Adding 4 to the island for the guests and making a gift of 4 to get the local kids  into it.

FB_IMG_1677187411513b.jpg

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Thank you @Bhumika for spotlighting one of my favorite fellow hosts, @Fred13!  Fred, you always have sound advice and I love your sense of humor.  Not to mention your life!  It's great to see this - well deserved and well done all around!

Oh my! My husband would love going here for a getaway. I'm going to bookmark 🙂

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Until I stumbled upon Fred's Island, I didn't even know where Belize was. And then I got so interested that I read 250 pages of the book about Belize in just a few days 🙂

Haha, @Branka-and-Silvia0! This is intriguing. What was the title of the book you referred to?

Must say, even I am in so much awe of @Fred13's Bird Island, that I hope to go visit Belize someday😆

-----