Coronavirus Support

Suzanne272
Level 2
Champéry, Switzerland

Coronavirus Support

Where are you when we need you AirBnB???

Hosts are taking a hit with guests asking for huge discounts 

WHY DONT YOU REMOVE THE HOST COMMISSION TO HELP US COPE???

9 Replies 9

@Suzanne272   Airbnb is not your employer or your business partner. It's just a service that you use to list your property and coordinate payments. Listing here does not come with a guarantee of profit or success even in ordinary circumstances, let alone during a time when the whole travel industry is in freefall.  That's entirely your responsibility. If listing on Airbnb is not generating the occupancy you need to make ends meet, or you don't feel able to say no to unreasonable discount demands, it's up to you to do something different with your property.

Technically correct, although Airbnb as a company heavily positions itself as community orientated. But based upon your response (opinion), it would seem that when the going gets tough, Airbnb as a company are going to leave hundreds of thousands of hard working hosts out to dry.

Suzanne272
Level 2
Champéry, Switzerland

Andrew, Airbnb are a multinational internet company that wouldn't exist without hosts.  I never said they were my employer but THEY ARE MY BUSINESS PARTNER.  You couldn't be more wrong!!!!!!

I do say no to  unreasonable demands.  

I don't need your negativity, I am looking for support, constructive support.  

@Suzanne272 

"Business partner" may very well be your perception of your relationship with Airbnb, but it's certainly not Airbnb's definition of their relationship with you. 

From Airbnb T&Cs:

1.4 If you choose to use the Airbnb Platform as a Host or Co-Host (as defined below), your relationship with Airbnb is limited to being an independent, third-party contractor, and not an employee, agent, joint venturer or partner of Airbnb for any reason, and you act exclusively on your own behalf and for your own benefit, and not on behalf, or for the benefit, of Airbnb

You couldn’t be more incorrect susan17. 
Brian Chesky has said it himself:

We ARE business partners & we are in this together. 
if you want to go it alone then DON’T be a part of AirBnB 

BBye Susan

Carol302
Level 7
Winchcombe, GB

This will probably get blocked by Airbnb as my previous comments have......... not really happy with US "reaching out" are they?????? I have found Airbnb to be totally, completely and utterly useless during the past 2 months. It is only now that they are addressing the concerns I flagged up to them in January. Always in favour of the guest. I would like my next superhost reward to be cash, rather than a voucher as this would be much more useful ..................... and acceptable. We are NOT business partners within their definition. Look who takes the largest profit........................ As usual I feel vulnerable and unsupported as a host.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Suzanne272   

You said in Your opening post that airbnb should remove the host service fee, that's 3%. How would it help You if You didn't have to pay those 3%, that's close to nothing.

You are renting one of Your 2 listings at a nightly rate of $160, that's $1120 for a week and $320 for a weekend. You have 300 guest reviews under Your belt. If we assume that the average value of a stay at Your place is $700, so far You made more than 200,000 in revenue through airbnb rentals. Isn't that something?

Suzanne, airbnb didn't make a profit last year and they didn't make a profit in the 12 years they are in business. Airbnb needs to pay their expenses and it makes no sense to wave the host service fee at all.

@Carol302   

You suggest that airbnb should pay the annual $100 super host incentive in cash. Well, they could but they don't. The superhost programm clearly says it's a travel voucher.

---------------

There are many areas in wich airbnb could improve. But the host service fee and giving out $100 in cash are not in the top 10 and not in the top 30. No 1 and on top of the list is, that airbnb needs to become profitable, as soon as possible.

@Ute42  The timing of that post was interesting - a year ago, just as places were starting to shut down.  Do you think her complaints were related to the pandemic or just general whining?  Do they think they could achieve the worldwide marketing reach they get through Airbnb by spending 3% of their earnings?  In this case, using your math - would $6,000 pay for a website to be built followed by advertising campaigns to reach every corner of the earth?

@Ann72   

That's general whining as it is with everybody else who's complaining about their fees.

In 2020, airbnb's total costs and expenses were at $ 6,968,346,000. That's 7 Billion USD. Where should that money come from if not from the service fee?