Covid cancellation

Answered!
Bernardo195
Level 1
Lapa do Lobo, Portugal

Covid cancellation

Hello as a host I have a question. I have a group of people that want to book my place. My cancelation policy is the "Moderada" (guests can cancel 5 days before). They are asking if they Cath covid after this 5 days if there is any Airbnb policy for them to not loose their money if they prove they're infected. Thanks

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Bernardo195 

Yes, the COVID Extenuating Circumstances policy allows guests to cancel and get a full refund if they test positive for COVID. You would therefore not receive any payout. In theory, they need to provide proof.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2701/extenuating-circumstances-policy-and-the-coronavirus-covi... 

However, it seems that a lot of guests are using this as a loophole to get full refunds for other circumstances. The fact that they have asked you about this suggests they already know about the policy but want you to confirm this.

41 Replies 41
Aisya4
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hi 

this happed to me today when Airbnb cancelled my past booking 3/3/22 for 2 nights. Reason from guests COVID 

guests no communication until the day check in 3hours before ( host called to find out) 

same day check in guests texts they’re  covid . I cent believe with that statement when the communication day before with no reply info. 
and now i lost the amount for 2nights! 
so disappointed 

Karen3224
Level 2
Christchurch, United Kingdom

I have had the same issue today with a guest allegedly testing positive to Covid the day before check in and although we had arranged to honour their booking for a future date, air BnB refunded in full without any recourse to the Host. I find this totally unacceptable.  I have multiple properties on Air BnB with guests booking in popular locations in high season who can just claim Covid the day before check in and be fully refunded as if we were still in global pandemic ! We aren’t … the UK has lifted all its restrictions and guests should take out relevant travel insurance to cover their loss!  I’m pursuing this with Air BnB but don’t hold out much hope. I’m heading to move away from Air BnB unless they update their EC Policy. Effectively their cancellation policies are as much use as a chocolate fire guard !!!!! 

What was the outcome @Karen3224?

We have just had a guest who cancelled the day before. She claimed her husband had covid. Well Airbnb admitted that the guest doesn't need to document this, they just need to say they have COVID. And they don't need to prove they were a guest. Why don't more hosts sue Airbnb? 

Julie-and-Rob0
Level 2
Far Meadow, Australia

I just had the same experience, they cancelled the booking without any communication with me, they didn't ask me what happend or anything, as long as the guest reported one of them is confirmed, they just cancelled it, and send me the message TELL me they've already cancel and full refund it. And when I contact the support, all they can tell me is it is under their policy. NSW goverment support confirmed cases and family but there's no any help to business any more. No one helps us if we lost income because of this. This is deffo a loophole which airbnb need to be fixed. 20220325163956.png

Jennifer2672
Level 10
Sioux Falls, SD

I just had a 3-week reservation cancel yesterday, on the day she was supposed to arrive. She had a death in the family several days earlier, but forgot to cancel her reservation. The message I get from support is that it was canceled due to Covid. It wasn't Covid, but that was what she was told by support would allow her to get her money back. Now I have three weeks open to fill, and not a penny from the reservation that booked me up. I even sent her a message more than 24 hours before the booking to remind her, as I knew she was coming into town because of someone in ill health and those situations change. It's so disrespectful of our situations as hosts. 

Jennifer2672
Level 10
Sioux Falls, SD

I had a guest cancel a 3-week reservation on Monday. She was a repeat guest who had reserved my place as her father was in hospital with heart issues. He died and she forgot to cancel it, even though I sent a reminder (not wanting her to get stuck with a reservation she didn't need). I already have a flexible policy, so she only would have to pay for the first two days. She tells me that she didn't mention Covid, but your support team cancelled on the basis of Covid. Now I have a nearly open calendar, after paying my cleaners and purchasing welcome items for this guest that will go to waste, and no one is responding to my support ticket asking for answers. I'm a one-house, small host (with perfect 5-star ratings) and your team just ran me seriously in the red for the month of April, with no one willing to give me an explanation of what actually happened. I am so disillusioned with Airbnb at this point. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi everyone!

We've announced some changes to the Covid Extenuating Circumstances policy recently, and I thought it might be of interest to you:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Update-to-our-approach-for-guests-sick-with-COVID...

Hope this helps!  Let me know if you've any questions or concerns.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Maureen571
Level 2
Portland, OR

I am booking a reservation today for an Airbnb in Spain. If I get COVID before my trip and have to cancel my reservation, will I be refunded my total amount per the Airbnb policy, which has been extended to all reservations made before May 31? Thanks in advance for any clarification you can provide.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Maureen571  if you read the link in the post above yours - you will find your answer 🙂

Yes, I did read that, and I am not sure I have it straight. I read it to say that my booking would be 100 percent refunded if I have to cancel for Covid because I made the reservation before May 31. I also interpret it to say that Airbnb covers that refund so the host does not lose the money on such short notice. Is that correct? 

@Maureen571 yes the guest can cancel if they get covid. The host will not get paid.

Thank you. So that means I should take out travel insurance to cover the Airbnb stay to ensure that the host keeps the rental money, and the insurance company will reimburse me...unless Airbnb charges are considered "refundable" if booked before May 31, and the insurance company only covers non-refundable charges. In that case I should wait until after May 31. Complicated.