Day 20 - Saying it with Botanicals

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Day 20 - Saying it with Botanicals

1.jpg

Saying it with Botanicals / Flowers

When one goes out walking or in one's Garden one has Flowers, take some time to observe how they grow in different formations.

We spotted this one that reminds us of a Christmas Tree ( @Nick would you please turn it around the correct way? Thanks)

Do you have any that remind you of Christmas , e.g Animals, Stars, Nativity etc?

Wishing everyone a wonderful Christmas and all the Best for 2021.

May we all plant more Botanicals in our locations as they are equally as important to our lives as Trees for our Health.

@Nick @Stephanie 

19 Replies 19

@Huma0  Yes, so called Christmas cactus, due to when they tend to bloom. Same with Thanksgiving cactus. Love the Schlumbergera. You need one with red blooms for a stunning  Christmas color display! Mine blooms dark pink, but I do have a cousin of the Schlumbergera, an orchid cactus (Epiphyllum). The blooms are red and bigger than your palm, outstretched. Probably my most beloved plant. 

Sorry, I’ve never forced bulbs so can’t help you there 🙁

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Colleen253 

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for the orchid cactus!

The Schlumbergeras I have are either light pink (like the one above) or dark pink. Not sure I've seen red ones yet, but I am sure you must be able to get them here...

@Huma0  Try putting it outside in a sunny area in the summer. And give it some fertilizer that promotes flowering. Bone meal is good for that. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

Thanks! I will try that.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

PS the Christmas Cactus seem to thrive since I have started putting them outside in the summer. Weirdly enough, they are still flowering outside and we are having a very chilly winter by London standards. I feel like I should move them inside before the frost kills them, but they seem so happy outside and if it ain't broke...