Extended stays...

Siena5
Level 1
Oregon City, OR

Extended stays...

Hi all, I'm new to the AirBnb thing; just tried my first back in JAN.   So I have an unusual season in my life that is requiring me to stay in a smaller town for about 6 months, then move again to my permanent location. Most apartments don't do a 6 month agreement. Is it appropriate to ask Hosts if they would consider allowing me to use a facility for a month to month or 6 month minimum at a lower rate? Any other suggestions?

Thx,

S.Gilbreath

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Siena5  Listings which take long term reservations say so in their ads. Some places only have 2 week maximum or some other limit. So it's not appropriate to ask a host who has a maximum set to rent to you for longer than that.

Hosts who do long term bookings usually have a discount already in place for month long bookings. It's considered rude to request more of a discount than the host already offers and experienced hosts also consider guests who ask for discounts to be red flags and you could well be declined on that basis alone. 

As far as renting month by month, that's something you'd have to discuss with the host. Most wouldn't hold the following month for you on the basis that you'd decide if you wanted to stay longer when the time came, as they would be missing out on potential bookings if you decided to leave.

Thank you Sara977! I certainly do not want to do anything inappropriate; I appreciate your honesty.

Sincerely, and have a great week.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Siena5 Be aware that in many areas right now, housing is difficult to find. I am getting inundated with requests to rent long-term, or for longer term stays such as you describe. I don't think there's anything wrong with asking, provided you're carefully reviewing the listings you're contacting first. The host may have already specified that they're not looking for longer reservations and the constant requests get really annoying. 

Regarding asking for discounts, see what discounts the host already has set up on the listing. Mine already makes the rent very competitive (a bit more than conventional rent, but it includes utilities, furnishings and there is no lease) and it annoys me a bit when people ask for more money off.

Thank you Alexandra, I can understand your position, and appreciate your taking the time to help me understand the system and most of all the point of view being a Host. Someday I would like to be a Host and offer a home for my communities. Until then, may all the best come to you!

Siena