[FESTIVAL] A decade of Airbnb hosting focused on building lifelong connections

Tatiya0
Host Advisory Board Member
กทม, Thailand

[FESTIVAL] A decade of Airbnb hosting focused on building lifelong connections

Since my Airbnb hosting journey began in 2013, it has extended beyond offering a place to stay. It’s about forging meaningful connections and friendships. In 2017, I decided to share my love for cooking with guests from around the world. I’ve turned my home into a hub for forging bonds between travelers.

Living alone in Bangkok, I discovered that cooking for one could be more expensive than dining out, so I don’t cook that often. Hosting dinner Experiences allows me to do what I love. When I started, I couldn’t believe I actually got paid for it. 

The experience isn’t just about the meal. I’ve introduced guests to my garden, where I plant some of the ingredients used for cooking. I also share the company of my cats (if luck is on their side). It’s a communal gathering where we cook, eat, and drink together. The magic happens in the connections formed around the dining table.

Over the years, I’ve made lasting connections with guests. One remarkable tale involves Nienke from Amsterdam, Netherlands, who booked my dinner Experience on her birthday. Despite being the only guest that evening, we discovered many things in common, and our connection was instant. Following her visit to Bangkok, I traveled to Hanoi and later Amsterdam, where she graciously hosted me in her home, and I cooked her a Thai dinner. Our paths crossed again in Warsaw last September, where Nienke had just relocated for work, aligning perfectly with my travels in the region.

Lifelong Connections 1.jpeg Nienke and I joined Airbnb food tour experience in Hanoi, VietnamNienke and I joined Airbnb food tour experience in Hanoi, Vietnam

These stories exemplify the essence of hosting. The friendships formed through hosting dinners and welcoming guests into my home have added a layer of richness to my life. As an Airbnb Host, I encourage and celebrate the magic that happens when diverse individuals come together under one roof, creating bonds that last a lifetime. My goal is to create a space where strangers become friends—where the world feels a little smaller and warmer through the joy of shared meals and shared moments. 

Another cherished memory involves Satu and Mika, a Finnish couple who visited my home six years ago. After a wonderful evening with them and three other guests, life took us on separate paths. I recently reached out to them while planning a trip to Helsinki. They graciously invited me to stay in their home. Despite the years of limited contact, the warmth of our connection was immediate. Within hours of my arrival, I found myself in their home sauna with Satu, reminiscing and catching up as if no time had passed. They treated me to Finnish cuisine, and I had the joy of preparing Thai dishes for them and their extended family. One unforgettable highlight was Satu teaching me the Finnish way of enjoying a sauna—dipping into the 2 C ocean between sessions.It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience that I will cherish forever.

Lifelong Connections 3.png Home Cooked Finnish meal in Kirkkonummi, FinlandHome Cooked Finnish meal in Kirkkonummi, Finland

Claudia,  Daniel, Delphine, and I are sharing our experiences with addressing loneliness through hosting and look forward to reading about your experiences. Read what Claudia, Daniel and Delphine have to share about their experiences below: 

1 Reply 1
Dr-Jayanthi1
Level 10
Coimbatore, India

Love it @Tatiya0 .The warmth you spread with your presence is astounding. Happy to have met you at the APAC summit, in person off the screen and in real. The energy that bounces from you is overwhelming. I assure that hosting is a game changer to fight out loneliness. It not only helps to come out of it but prepares you for a life where "giving" is a priority. You are never alone when you learn to give. I started hosting after my daughter left home for her undergrad program. I learnt Airbnb from her as an ardent Airbnb guest, she always prefers Airbnb over hotels. It has been great sharing my hosting experiences from her and taking tips from her on what other hosts across the globe practice. I conquered my loneliness through guest interactions. Airbnb kept me busy and learn that I can give my guests the love and care by sharing my home with them. I am happy and contented with my hosting journey. As for cooking - I cook out of compulsion and not out of passion - we are miles apart. But my family assures me that I am a good cook. Wish to share my culinary skills with you. Welcome to India and stay with me. 

You are an energy bubble, love to you. Happy hosting 🤗.