Guest locked himself out 3 times with a keypad

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Guest locked himself out 3 times with a keypad

We had a couple over the weekend. Three phone calls for "lock outs." We have a keypad. Every time I answered immediately, talked the guest through the procedure (punch in the code, turn the knob to the left) and it worked. Every time I offered the hard copy key we keep hidden. This was an older couple who were clearly uncomfortable with the keypad even though the man who called stated he had gotten in several times successfully. Our keypad has no trick to it. He did not use the regular key.

When I  asked "is everything else okay?" he groused about not being able to open the door.  They also had 2 small dogs which the cleaners said they did not clean up after in the yard.  We have not been by yet to do our turnover but will need to do a thorough going over of the yard. They did not use our outdoor trash can at all (cleaners sent a pic) as instructed. 

So, how to review? Judging from the conversations the guests will blame us for not knowing how to open the door despite the alternative key placement. 

25 Replies 25
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Laura2592 that's several hard No situations for me

- can't manage basic instructions

- can't learn new tricks

- thinks their problems should be my problems

- snarky when they're at fault

- travel with pets but don't take care of pets

1* clean

1* communication

1* rules

No host again

but I'm kind of a meanie.... better suited to hotel type listings or similar would be the likely review text... I'm sure you'll be more suave

PS hoping your place/friends in NOLA are safe

@Kelly149  thanks! Its been a really craptastic 24 hours on the NOLa front. 

Here is my stereotype for one of my top 3 bad guest profiles: a retired couple where the man does all the communication in which he talks down to me and has 2 small, loud dogs. This guest type ALWAYS has some minor issue that seems to ruin their enjoyment of their stay.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Laura2592  ‘We are sorry that X experienced repeated difficulty with our simple keypad entry system. Our offer to provide the back up key was refused, however. X also had difficulty cleaning up after their two dogs, and with following our trash disposal instructions.  We wish them more luck with their next stay!’

@Colleen253 I like it. The guest kept trying to get me to say that the keypad must be broken. Uhhh, no. Its clearly not broken if you have used it successfully and can get it to work while I guide you through it on the phone. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Laura2592  I'd probably say something like XX was uncomfortable with our key pad system, did not follow house rules related to pets and cleaning, and if true, more cleaning than normal was required after their stay.  Then you can zing them with may not be a good match for a self catering property or not.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Laura2592 

I think you can expect a vicious review if they bother to write one.

I hope you respond in kind.

@Brian2036 who knows if they will bother to review. Experience says yes but no matter what, I will wait until the window is about to close to leave mine 🙂

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Laura2592  I find that older (less tech-savvy) guests can be a real challenge. I had just such a couple last year. Not only could 'he" not manage the keypad for the lock, "he" also could not find the VOLUME adjustment on the TV remote that was IN HIS HAND. This all happened within hours of arrival. 

He seemed really dissatisfied with life, so why not my cabin as well? I sent them a message the next morning indicating that I'd be happy to refund if they were not comfortable and wanted to leave.

The mousy little wife messaged me back that they were fine. 

I also struggle with these folks not using the app. If they can book an AirBnB online, they can use the app. 

But back to your situation. DEFINITELY better suited to a hotel, where everything is simple and in its place. Key cards, familiar TV remotes, sterile and blandly comforting surroundings, a very mediocre restaurant attached downstairs. Who needs a kitchen? Why leave the building at all? 

You don't have to be techy to follow simple rules. I liken the keypad locks to using an ATM- just as simple. 

Rate them honestly and fairly for their failure to follow your rules. 

A great way to get old is to let the world pass you by as you refuse to keep up. Tech is no more complicated than the math we learned in school. You don't have to understand HOW it works, you just have to learn how to work it. 

Sorry for the rant....I hope this is a one-off for bad guests. 

@Kia272   I hope that you do not paint all older people with the brush that you just used for the couple you commented on.   I have guests who are in their 30-40s who think that they know everything and totally screw up my Wifi, cable tv and Roku, not to mention locking both the keyed lock and the electronic lock, leaving the keys inside the cabin and themselves outside.   

Older people don't refuse to keep up and I resent the fact that you wrote what you did.  Perhaps I should state something to the effect that all younger people are entitled babies who can't read directions because it will always be on their phone.  Gah.

End rant from an ancient career techie who knows how to use a TRS-80.

@Lorna170 I knew I'd be called out for generalizing, and I'm okay with that. I'm commenting based on my experience with some older guests. 

You can resent me for writing what I wrote all you want. It's based on observation, not some presumptive stereotype I absorbed from society at large. 

Besides, I don't know how young you think I am, but....I'm not. 

Cheers

@Kia272If it makes any difference, I didn't read what you wrote as generalizing at all. I read it as you being frustrated with older people who refuse to become educated, or, at least familiar with commonly used new technology. I think that's a valid frustration.

@Suzanne302 Thank you for interpreting and summarizing my feelings exactly! 

@Kia272 While certainly some older people are much less tech savvy than younger folks, punching in numbers on a keypad isn't "tech". It would be different if they had to download some app to work the door lock. 

And in Laura's case, the guestswere offered the option of a standard key, which for some unknown reason, they refused to avail themselves of.

That just seems obstinate to me, nothing to do with being tech-challenged or even a little senile.

@Sarah977 I believe to them, it is "tech."  It's not a key, which they've used all their lives. It's different and unknown. It beeps. And because of that, it inspires fear.

The fear overwhelms their common sense, because after all, it's just pressing some buttons in a sequence. 

As @Suzanne302 said, I would consider this a "commonly used new technology."

I also believe that everyone is safer with an electronic lock, rather than a key that is passed from guest to guest (and could be copied.)

I believe that obstinance can stem from a loss of control, which seems to be the case here. 

Can't manage the lock- the lock must be broken- it's not our fault- no, we don't need a key, you need to fix the lock. Something along those lines.