Guest threw a party during Corona Virus, Police Called, Airbnb unreachable by phone

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Guest threw a party during Corona Virus, Police Called, Airbnb unreachable by phone

Yesterday at 2:00am, I had to rush over at one of my listings due to noise complaints received by neighbours. I knocked the door which was opened by guests who were extremely trashy. A strong smell of weed exited the home as they opened the door. At that point, I realized I needed to end their reservation. One thing I never tolerate is people smoking inside. The poor neighbour has two young kids who were kept awake because of the trashy guests.

Police had to be called when they refused to leave. The REASON they refused to leave was because airbnb was unreachable by phone to cancel the reservation. They have a pre recorded message that due to shortage of staff, they are not taking any calls. Ultimately, the police refused to kick them out because the reservation could not be cancelled. Our joke of a police department still had the ability to kick them out for breaching our contract by breaking noise ordinance bylaws and hosting an unauthorized party. Yet they seemed to think the guest had the same rights as a long term tenant (untrue). This joke of police also told me that even if the guest had 40 people over, they cannot go inside and kick them out. When I mentioned that there were several incidents of shootings at airbnb's in Toronto, they just brushed it off and said "so what? Who are you to say this would turn into a shooting"?

Having hosted well over 500 reservation thus far, this was the first time I had to ever involved the police who were completely useless and not even aware of my rights as a landlord. Police were even more useless because airbnb was not available for us. Currently the guests are still there and set to check-out tomorrow as they refused to leave. Police have sent them the message that they can do whatever they want with people's property up to and including having 20, 30 , 40 g-d knows how many people without recourse.

On top of that, they didn't even care that this is the worst time to host a party due to the Corona Virus. There is never a good time to host an unauthorized party however this would be the absolute worse time. to the TORONTO POLICE, you are a JOKE and that is why nobody takes you seriously. You had some 10 officers there and none of them were fully aware of my rights at that moment. Additionally, you took my ID and recorded it however you did not take the ID of the guest when you spoke to her.As such, you failed to document the events and those who were involved. That was your first mistake. Your second mistake was telling me that the guest has a right to stay despite breaking bylaws and thus breaching our contract.

61 Replies 61

It won’t happen to me, because I’m not an entitled host who thinks the police are my personal security team. I am 110% convinced you showed them your true colours, much like you did here, by being disrespectful and flippant.  Don’t expect help from those you so openly denigrate, and don’t be surprised when your hostility isn’t well received. 

For anyone just joining in, OP is very oppressed and put upon because ‘corrupt Toronto pigs’ didn’t do as he said. Also, if you disagree with him, you should ‘change your pad because it’s that time of the month’. Just so we’re all clear as to the fabric of this host’s character. 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Although I do appreciate your contributions to this thread, I'd like to kindly remind and assure you that the CC is a place where hosts can share their experiences and support each other in a positive way.

According to the guidelines, this topic is no longer appropriate for the Community. I also feel that the discussion has stopped being productive, so I'll be closing this topic.

Thank you for understanding and feel free to DM me if you have any questions.

Liv