Guest turned off security system

Guest turned off security system

I just had a guest turn off my security system after I had "complained" (nicely) to them that they had children in the back yard throwing bricks, damaging my fire pit cover, standing a playing in a wheelbarrow, etc.  I showed pictures from my security camera.  They then lied and said the children had left (about 3 hours later, they did).  My listing is not suitable for unsupervised children and was concerned for these kids' safety.  (Note that there were 5 children at the house at the time and no children were listed as guests).  

Now, they have turned off the security system.  

Thoughts?

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @LeNore24 

If no children are on the booking, then you are absolutely within your rights to remind the guest, in line, I presume with your house rules, that only those on the booking are allowed to use the premises.

I would message the guest on Airbnb and text them to ask them to turn your security system back immediately.  (presuming it's disclosed on your listing in line with Airbnb's guidance for camera's). 

If they don't I would ask Airbnb to do a penalty free cancellation for the booking as guests have turned off your security cameras, after you identified five children using your listing who weren't on the booking  and refuse to turn them back on.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@LeNore24  As @Helen3  advises, I would message the guests and tell them it appears the security system has been turned off, and that, per the listing, it is there for the protection of hosts and guests and that it needs to be turned on ASAP. 

If you have anything in your listing that says visitors aren't allowed then I would reiterate that to the guests [if not, I would add it].

You could also tell them if they are not comfortable with your house rules that you are  happy to contact Airbnb to help facilitate a cancellation for them.

Depending on how close to the listing you live you could tell them that if the security system isn't back on in XX that you and/or your representatives will be arriving at the property to inspect and hopefully repair the system and you want to work with them to schedule a time for this that is convenient.

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

I had a quick look at your listing and can’t see anything about visitors not being allowed - just no children under 2 and no parties or events.  Under security only a ‘door camera’ is listed.  I might have missed something but might be an idea to add ‘no unregistered guests or visitors’ for the future.