Guests asking to communicate or pay outside airbnb

Kruthi1
Level 1
Bengaluru, India

Guests asking to communicate or pay outside airbnb

I've been dealing with a constant slew of guests asking for mobile number and when their messages are flagged and I'm asked by Airbnb in a pop up message to report the guest and decline, I clearly lose the guest and the revenue. Of course, Airbnb loses their share in this too. Why aren't guests being told with a strict pop up to not pay or communicate outside airbnb and that they will be flagged/blocked/declined if they try to cheat Airbnb?

9 Replies 9
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

If the inquirer doesn't want to book through Airbnb, they or you didn't loose anything. IF a potential guest comes to us via Airbnb, every time they ask for 'back door' information we refer them back to the Airbnb web site, as if we are too dumb to 'get' what they are after (a discount).

Simon2862
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Tried to post a reply but the bot said there was an error.... enough said

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Kruthi1 I suppose guests could be warned with a pop up, but it's all already clearly spelled out in the terms and conditions. A guest who doesn't bother to read the terms, then goes ahead and asks to violate them is not a good or safe bet. Simply report, block and be thankful that bullet was dodged.

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kruthi1 

There is already enough information on the Airbnb platform warning guests and hosts not to get involved in transactions outside of Airbnb. Airbnb are not necessarily doing it to protect us, although sometimes it does, they are doing to to protect their potential service fees.

I would suggest experience has shown all of us here on the CC that guests who want to deliberately by pass the Airbnb booking process are going to turn out to be poor quality guests to host, they are after something for nothing and you will end up being short changed somewhere along the line.

One of the major positives in dealing with Airbnb is the money side of the transaction! We never have to hassle guests over payment, in my 420 + Airbnb stays every payment has arrived, maybe not exactly when I would have liked it to but, apart from a minor programming issue back in Oct 2018 I have never had to chase Airbnb for it. That peace of mind is worth turning any guest who wants to do some back-door deal away!

I don't think we need any more warnings.....we already have enough!

Cheers.........Rob

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

@Kruthi1 

I usually flagged, then block the guest who’s ask for communication outside Airbnb with no hesitation. Cause Airbnb pop up “ unsafe”  messages in the inbox, host is necessary to acknowledge to Airbnb Support Help Center or to the Airbnb community. 

Clare167
Level 10
United Kingdom

I've never experienced that pop up message @Kruthi1 , is it something new? Quite a few times, though, a potential guest has tried typing in their number, because they'd like to discuss something about the flat, their plans, the area, etc, and it would just be much smoother and simpler to talk. These are not scammers, they go ahead and book through Airbnb once they get the information they need.

@Clare167   

This is how such a pop up looks like. The pop up was triggered by the fact that the guest was trying to send his phonenumber.

2021-03-21 Pop up Sei vorsichtig.jpg

I'ts all in German of course as I'm in Germany. What is says is:

• Be careful with this inquiry. Let us know if
    there's a problem or if everything is fine.

Thanks @Ute42 . That seems fair enough, it gives you the option to continue to deal with the potential guest, rather than ordering you to decline. I only recall seeing "hidden by Airbnb" substituted within the message. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Dale711 , @Robin4 , @Colleen253 

I always "report and decline". Immediately. Without a word. 

I have enough trouble vetting guests who book normally. I'm not going to waste my time on those who don't feel any obligation to follow the rules from the start.