Guests trying to scam the host

Guests trying to scam the host

Yesterday, I had a first time user that had an empty profile send me an inquiry that they wanted to see the house first.  They live in the same town!  Right!  Do they think I am that stupid.  I told them professionally that there are reviews and photos and that is how guests select and then did not approve their request and then reported them.  Then they sent it again and I did the same!  Watch out for people like that.  There has always been scammers around but they seem to be getting worse due to the pandemic.  Hosts be careful!

11 Replies 11
Laura4076
Level 7
Los Angeles, CA

@Diana-And-Lando0  I will never approve a guest without an Airbnb history. After what happened to be and countless others it’s definitely a problem.  Everyone should beware!

Ryan2352
Level 10
Thousand Oaks, CA

I've had one scammer on here already, that wanted me to click a link (yeah, right!).  AB&B blocked them shortly after I reported them.  Apparently they must have tried w/a few people as AB&B sent out an email afterwards advising about them to anyone they'd emailed.

Had a few others scammers on the "V" OTA

I’m fairly new to hosting, what is the scam?

Andrea-and-Glenn0
Level 10
Mill Bay, Canada

@Dawnice0 i think what @Diana-And-Lando0 are referring to is 1) you don’t communicate outside AirBnb platform 2) local inquiries can be suspicious 3) never show your place in advance 4) avoid being scammed by following AirBnb  terms of service. 

Also @Laura4076 we couldn’t agree more. We require a full profile and positive reviews. 

Got it. Avoid potential negotiations outside the Airbnb platform. Of course!

It also allows them to have the address so they can scope out when to break-in based on a calendar showing a vacancy.  Just say no!

Good grief!!! 

Kutya0
Level 2
Budapest, Hungary

Relatively fresh guest accounts with zero reviews are not anyone's favourite. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

F21094DE-8E19-4254-8075-B5F14015936A.jpegThis makes me feel even more grateful to live in a remote area.

I wonder, however, how people can get reviews when no one will rent to them because they have no reviews. . . .

Can anyone explain me in detail that what was that scam

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Yesterday I had a request to book from guest with no reviews, only email and phone number, single male, and very brief note, and no hometown listed. After the decline there was continued conversation. And I explained that host can't even see guest profile picture and it was up to guest to decide how much info they want to share, that only their name and emergency contact info is shared with host, etc, and up to host to select their own booking requirements. And I had no clue if he was 18 or 68. As it turned out he was retired and his wife had died recently. So I felt really bad for him and the situation. I keep changing my require gov ID setting, as I only want Airbnb to verify their ID, and not me requiring them upload a gov ID.  I explained a bit about the booking process, that host will be less inclined to host a guest with such limited info, and encouraged him to feel free to book any time in the future, so it ended really well. My only other option was to send a special offer but he may have thought I was trying to scam him and complained about fees or something. Do all booking platforms also prioritize accepting guest with non verified ID? Or I suppose I just keep declining guest with no reviews and non verified.