Host Guarantee Advice Needed

Host Guarantee Advice Needed

Hello Community - I am a multi year Super Host with AirBnB.  I have a home in Colorado that i list with Both AirBnB and VRBO. At the end of May i had a guest stay with some teenage boys. Our home has a Swim Spa with a Covana Cover on it. The boys made the choice to ride the hydraulic Covana Cover Up and down. With this the Covana Cover hydraulic legs broke (like broke off). We saw the damage immediately upon guest check out and checked outdoor video cameras and sure enough, we saw the kids riding and jumping on the hydraulic cover. 

I (same day as check out) filed a report with the resolution center.  I called the company that we purchased the swim spa and cover from and they started the repair process. They sent a technician out and gave us a report on parts - I sent all of this in with picture of the obvious damage and video of the kids. 

My issue is the parts for the Covana cover come from Canada. With Covid and Shipping delays we are just now getting parts for the repair. I was diligent and called and kept my Resolution Center claim "active" by giving at-least two week updates on shipping of the parts. The Technician was out last week and completed the repairs - My bill was $15,000!!!! I sent all of the receipts into the resolution center. 

I got a reply from Larry at the Resolution Center that all receipts have to be turned in 30 days after the guest check out. Since I did not provide the receipts, the Host Guarantee does not cover the expenses. 

What is this response? Has anyone else experienced this total BS response? Anything further I could have done or still can do?

Respectfully Submitted,

Tiffany

5 Replies 5
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Ridiculous! This is damaging and costly enough that you should go through Airbnb’s arbitration process and/or call your attorney.

Do you know how i request arbitration? Attorneys have been called.

@Exchange1 

To request arbitration, you have to download a consumer complaint form, and complete/submit it along with $200 (well worth it).

Here is more information on all of your options. If you already have an attorney, though, talk to them about the options presented in this article first so that they can research and advise you properly.

https://fairshake.com/airbnb/file-a-claim/

Apparently, this fairshake company also enables you to file from their site, but they will probably charge you.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Exchange1   Contact your rental property insurance company and get a good attorney.  This is vandalism by the guest's children and a matter for the guest to pay for directly.  Make sure that the video is saved, time-stamped and provided to the guest, the insurance company and your attorney.  AirBnB will not care....

yeah. ABNB wouldn't care less.

They are an advertising platform.  

Not un-similar to an all-your-responsibility-parking-lot. 

You pay for the parking and you got the space. If your car is stolen, or if you tire got damaged, it is your problem. The parking lot only provide the space for the super low price of $20 an hour.