Host not changing entry codes

Sammy93
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

Host not changing entry codes

We recently stayed at an Airbnb and had someone e enter the pin code and attempt to come into the apartment. The police were called and we ended our trip immediately. We contacted Airbnb for help. It took a week of phone calls and back and forth emails  and after submitting video evidence, police report and showing lack of concern from host the resolution simply stated- thanks for reporting. How can Airbnb allow hosts to leave entry pin codes unchanged??

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sammy93  I saw that this host you booked with is a property manager with 16 listings. Personally I would stay away from listings like that and stick to hands-on hosts, who tend to be far more responsible and take a personal interest in their guests' safety and comfort. 

With those big property managed listings, you have no idea who has codes and access- housekeeping, maintenance personnel, several of the people who work as property managers for the company. 

Yes, of course the code should be changed for each new guest. If it isn't, it's not just the property staff who have access, it's all the past guests and whoever they might give that code to.

While hosts should be responsible for changing the code, perhaps it would be a good idea for guests to insist on this when they arrive, unless the  host has already done it. For instance, a lot of hosts reprogram the code to the last 4 digits of the guest's phone number, as it is easy for guests to remember.

Sammy93
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

@Sarah977  You bring up a really good point. Going forward I will absolutely be asking hosts if they change the code between guests. I will also be sticking to hosts that are actively involved in their guests safety and stay. Which as you pointed out means hosts that have the ability to do so and arnt overseeing dozens of properties.  I also am at fault for not recognizing that Airbnb isn’t going to enforce basic safety standards and that guests will really need to be careful. I suppose I should just be happy we were able to call the police and get home. 

@Sammy93  I'm an upholsterer/seamtress and had to go install some curtains at a rental, which also involved hanging new curtain rods my welder had made. No guests were in residence at the time. So the welder, his helper and I had gone to the property, only to find the door code had been changed, and the property manager, even though I had told him when we were arriving, had neglected to let me know the new door code. So the three of us sat around for about 45 minutes, while I tried to reach the manager, who wasn't answering his phone.

Finally the welder said, "What was the door code before? Maybe they just reversed the numbers."

Sure enough, that worked. I turned to him and said, "You, Sir, have the mind of a thief." We had a laugh about that, but really, that was apparently not a smart door code change- although it would not have occurred to me to reverse the numbers, it obviously would to some.