Host wants me to cancel and I would get full refund

João765
Level 1
México D.F., Mexico

Host wants me to cancel and I would get full refund

Hi, 

I have booked a room for the end of August in Italy. However, the host contacted me today telling me that she wouldn't be able to host me anymore because some issue in her house and asked me to cancel.

According to her refund policy, I would get the full amount paid so far and, according to my research, she is probably asking me to cancel because, if she does it, she would lose her superhost status. 

Since I apparently lose nothing by cancelling and would help her not losing her superhost status, I would do it with no issues whatsover (I am not resentful person), but I am wondering whether I might suffer any penalty from Airbnb if I do the cancelling with apparently no reason at all? Does it appear in my profile when possible hosts look at my profile?

Thanks for any feedback!

6 Replies 6
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@João765  It is my understanding that a guest may cancel their stay without losing the ability to book on the platform in the future.  

Also, whenever I have a guest request to book, I do not see anything in their profile that says that the guest has cancelled previous bookings unless the guest cancelled mid-stay, reviewed the host and was reviewed by the host.

You should be fine.  I am sorry that your host had to cancel and I hope that you are still able to book a nice property and enjoy your vacation.

Ted307
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@João765 

Guests are not punished for canceling. Your host will be, though. The fee from AirBnB ight not be refunded, you will have to check. It might depend on the reason you state for canceling?

I think it would be kind of your to oblige your host and cancel your reservation. You might be able to ask your host and get your host to give you a concession on a future stay, and just change the reservation. If I were your host, and I could, I would offer you a different date and give you a reward for changing your reservation. It depends on how flexible you are, and what the host's reason is. I once stayed with a host I really liked, but when I wanted to return, all her bookings had been canceled and she had passed away.

There are other hosts here who are more expert with these things. @Robin4 is a very expert host, maybe he could help you better than I.

Ted & Chris

@João765   You will not be penalized if you choose to cancel, and it doesn't show in your profile. However, depending on when you booked, Airbnb might withhold its service fees from your refund.

If the cancellation is still within the refundable period, you can just complete the cancellation and send the host a Resolution request for the service fee. It's the least she could do, considering that you're doing her a huge favor. But be aware that if you cancel outside of the refundable period, any informal agreement for a refund transfer is not enforceable by Airbnb.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@João765  I might be wrong, but unless this cancellation is within the first 48 hours after booking, if you cancel Airbnb will keep the service fee, which is around 12% of your booking fee.  It would be very nice of you to cancel, but if I were you, I would get the host to reimburse me the money in advance, or at least agree to do so, before cancelling.

João765
Level 1
México D.F., Mexico

Thanks for all the answers. Seemingly, I will get all my money back (including service fee). 

@João765 

Good to know! Glad it worked out for you.

Ted & Chris