How often do you decline?

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

How often do you decline?

Those of you on Request only, how often do you decline?

Recently I had a mediocre request that I cajoled and prodded into reading the listing and answering the booking questions and he rated VERY poorly afterwards. Sure wish I'd have just booted him to begin with.

So, then I had a few folks that I typed and typed for all the "I'm sorry to be a bother, but you seem to have missed a couple things" emails which led to retracted requests, so I didn't have to decline but those messages are a big time suck.

So, then the last 5? 6? didn't read anything, had totally blank profiles and didn't answer one lick of the pre-booking message and/or House Rules message I just went ahead and hit decline and said "It is recommended that you read the full listing and the House Rules prior to making a Request to Book. Best of luck for your trip!"

And now I'm wondering how soon I'll get the ABB nastygram message telling me to do better and "accept" more guests??

44 Replies 44

@Helen744 I do know that and I actually don't have the box checked; I don't care if a guest has a profile picture and many of my instant book guests don't. But when making a decision whether to accept or decline, which feels like life or death, with very little information and a ticking clock, I would feel a lot more at ease with a smiling face staring back at me. Because there is no smiling face, it easily leads to panic and I click decline. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emilia42 

Also, why would you feel more confident about a guest instant booking, with no profile photo, than a request guest that you can have some interaction with first, just because there is no photo staring back at you?

I have switched IB off now. For a while, I thought it worked okay for me, but after too many bad experiences, it is off and, as long as the bookings still come in, will stay off. For now, I haven't seen any noticeable drop in occupancy.

@Huma0  It is purely psychological. I get a lot of instant bookings. They don't bother me. The guest is confirmed and I deal with it. If there is truly a big problem or red flag, I work it out with the guest. I've never had an issue. But when a request comes through, it is now up to me to decide if they will be a good guest or not. And I have only 24 hours to do so. I question my decision and I don't like it. The lack of a profile photo and very little information about the guest only further diminishes my confidence to accept. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emilia42 

Yes, with some guests, it is difficult to decide. Where there are obvious red flags, I will turn them away, and I find that I do this more often after a couple of errors where I ignored my gut feeling and then the guest turned out to be far from ideal.

However, it's often through the correspondence in the request stage that those red flags are raised. They are not always in the reviews/ratings (the guest couldn't IB with me anyway if they had negative ones) or on the guest's profile. Most guests have very little info there. I am sure there were guests who IBed with me that I would have turned away if they had been requests.

I felt like IB worked okay for me for quite a while, but in recent months, I had so many problematic bookings. In the space of one week, I had to cancel the following IBs:

- Third party booking. Got them to sort it out and book from their own account, but then it turned out there were three people when my max was two and they also expected to quarantine here, which my listing clearly stated was impossible. Also, these guests were able to IB without making any payment. This resulted in cancelling TWO IBs for the same set of guests.

- A guest with no communication skills whatsoever, who simply couldn't answer the simplest of questions, nor read the listing. It turned out his positive reviews were actually for his mum and he had somehow taken over her profile. I am guessing she changed the name and photo on the profile to his so that he would be able to IB listings without having reviews of his own.

So, I used up all three of my penalty free cancellations for the year in one week alone. The guests who ended up booking for those dates turned out to be a nightmare. They basically took over all the communal areas, made a hell of a mess in the kitchen and smoked both cigarettes and weed in the bedroom. They complained constantly that their room was cold (I'm guessing they were opening the windows because of the smoking) but wouldn't let me enter their room to see if there was anything I could do. One of them was so rude about it that I had to tell him that he was not to speak to me that way in my own house. At least it resulted in an apology, but the complaints didn't stop.

Then there is the lack of control over the calendar. It has happened a few times now that I had a lovely existing guest wanting to extend or a lovely former guest wanting to return and, while we were communicating about it, someone else IBed the dates and none of those people turned out to be great guests. Of course, it depends on the situation of the host/the listing, but I find it odd that anyone would book a long term homestay without any prior communication with the host, especially given that on my listing I ask them to send me certain information before booking.

Anyway, I had enough of it, so have turned off IB and, so far, the bookings are still coming. I haven't noticed any difference on that front.

Of course, the 24 hour window is super stressful and many guests simply do not provide the information required within that time frame. I have learnt to be strict about it and decline them, even though I know it might just be because they have their notifications turned off. On the other hand, there are guests who IB and NEVER send the information requested and then you are either stuck with this poor communicator (who will inevitably turn out to be problematic in other ways) or you have to get on the phone and try to convince some (hopefully trained and logical) CS rep to do a penalty free cancellation.

Sorry for the essay! I know IB works very well for some hosts and I'm not saying I'll never use it again, but life is already so much easier without it.

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

@Emilia42 

If IB works for you as well as it does (in terms of good guests), I think there's a decent chance that allowing pretty much everyone to book will too. 

I'll probably get crucified on here, but we allow 99.9% of all "Request to Book" reservations to go through.   And all "Inquiries" immediately become "Invites" after we answer their question(s).  If the guest is a pest, we deal with it once they're booked.  But they are very, very rare.  We want the money.  We want to stay full.  

Meanwhile, sorry to get off track!  @Emilia42, you have done an incredible job with your listings and ratings.  Are you like us and you lament the awful people that gave you 4-star reviews once every 200 guests?  Would you consider it the end of the world to get a 4-star review?  I know we do. . .  

@Richard531 You are much more accepting than I am. I'm in the minority of contributors here who loves instant bookings and absolutely hates inquiries and requests. They are almost always from people who are trying to skirt my policies. (i.e. countless questions of "can we please bring our dog, he's really good." Or requests for 2 adults and 2 kids with no acknowledgment of the clause that the space is not suitable for children.) Instant book or stay home, I feel like saying.  🙂

Fortunately, a 4-star review only comes every 100+ guests. I am due for one soon. Only about 50% of my guests are reviewing these days. I don't like to get stressed out by the review system and try not to think about it. The one good thing that comes out of a 4-star review is a rate increase across the board. If the money is worth it, I'll be okay. The guests who rate with 4 stars because nothing is perfect don't bother me as much as the guests who weasel a refund.

@Emilia42, I just read this again about the smiling face but honestly if you have IB on then you cannot decline and if you have clicked having a full and clear profile pic and popped in to the info bar,no avatars,sunglasses or obscured pics then you will have your pic, smiling or otherwise?H

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emilia42 

I just ask request guests to make sure they have uploaded a profile photo, if they have not already done so. This can cause confusion amongst the ones that already have, but I just explain that hosts can't see the photos prior to booking, yet it's a requirement of booking my listing. Never really seems to be a problem. Getting essential info such as arrival time out of them is another matter...

Kitty-and-Creek0
Top Contributor
Willits, CA

@Kelly149 I have had a recent one line information request that was odd, and indicated clearly to me that the guest had not read anything about the listing - not even the title. I politely suggested that they read the captions on the photos and the House Rules to get a better feel for what we offer here, and if that helps them decide if what we offer is what they are looking for. 

yes @Kitty-and-Creek0 this has often been my tack, to show them what they've missed. Bc it's not entirely their fault that abb hides important things from them, but the whole countdown, remindremindremind cycle from ABB is obnoxious and I'm ready for a break from it

and yes, @Pat271 I always choose "uncomfortable", bc I am. And then after you tell the guest why you declined them there is a "tell ABB more" button and I just keep writing SHOW GUESTS THE HOUSE RULES!!!

Seriously doubt anyone is paying attention, but oh well

Genaro18
Level 6
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I really want to help here, so short answer is

Don't lower your standards, the payback in reverse is not worth it.

My declines had such an increase (your situation sounds exactly like mine, with the additional questions, pre-booking questions, non-reading)

Just do what you do - but - KEEP A LOG, in another app of date/name/ WHY, I have only had to use it once.

Learn this phrase "We do not provide the services that this guest requires"

Those words absolutely can mean a far more widely interpreted reasoning than it appears.

A guest with a missing profile "requires" additional services from you.

A guest who doesn't answer questions "requires " addtional services

I use the template response 90% of the time.

Early check in? fuggedabout it.

You sound like you're doing fine - private message me for details or more specific questions.

I have just passed 4,000 Check Ins.

542 active reviews. 

Genaro
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Genaro18 

@Genaro18 wrote:

Don't lower your standards, the payback in reverse is not worth it.

Couldn't agree more...

Hello Genaro

As someone new to managing my own listing, I’m wondering if you would share a list of questions you use to vet guests who wish to book?  I am currently hosting a real stinker that I would like to have cancel after arriving just last night.  Should have done a better job of qualifying her as a guest.

thank you

Elizabeth 

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Elizabeth2514,

Hosts have their own set of questions and red flags based upon the criteria they've set to determine who would be a good fit to stay in their rental.  You will get some responses, but there have been numerous discussions about vetting, and you may want to try doing a search of this forum to see what's been said in the past.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center

Thank you Debra.  Appreciate your reply.  Perhaps I will post a list that could grow within the community and people can pick out what would be useful.  Anything to avoid booking a guest we regret is a good thing….especially for new hosts.