I need some of your expert advice, please!

Cherie71
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I need some of your expert advice, please!

Before I do something that will come back to bite me, I'd sure appreciate some of your expert advice!

I've posted about an Airbnb Work reservation.  They didn't provide the names of each of the occupants or provide the COVID vaccination cards required at the time of reservation.  

I sent them a welcome to their Instant Booking, reminding them of the obligations (COVID cards, names, etc.) - they had 48 hours to cancel with no penalty.  I heard nothing from them.

Other reminders, again with the House Rules copied in the message, remained unanswered. As a courtesy, I extended the time to get the cards/names to me.

Someone from the company contacted me, explaining that their HR policy didn't allow them to ask for COVID status BUT they had done an informal question to the employees (funny how that works) - and their employees had not been vaccinated due to medical, religious or other reasons. 

She then offered the 'solution' to see if I would be willing to have my onsight manager test their employees every few days for COVID; pay a higher cleaning fee and something about their company insurance policy.  

Ummmm....NO!  I can't even imagine doing that!  

She wrote back to say they would have to cancel the reservation.  I responded they could find the cancel button to the right of the screen, etc...That was nearly 3 weeks ago.

They have held this property off Airbnb and our other platforms for nearly a month.  It is a substantial reservation with a strict cancellation policy. 

I don't want to offer any solution that would negate my Strict Cancellation Policy with Airbnb, especially knowing CS reps are not consistent.  

Now to the question for you experts...If I were to make a suggestion -if they were to book the other apartment on the property, giving a couple of days on the end of their reservation in addition, this scenario would negate any liability we would have had to other guests (who may book the other apartment) - allow for airing out of the apartment when they checked out with another day for serious cleaning.  Would making such an offer, even if they were not to accept it, negate our cancellation policy or cause any problems with Airnb CS?  

One part of me tends to think that if this company didn't have the sense to read the rules, what other rules will they break if they stay?  

Please put aside whether you agree with our COVID policy/receiving the names of all guests who will occupy the property - we have our reasons based on past experiences to implement the policies - I am looking for your expert advice on making an offer/solution.  With thanks!

19 Replies 19

@Inna22 there will come a point when everyone has been sick inna but as a host often of unprotected infants i take the covid rules as applied still by airbnb very seriously . Infants and children under a certain age cannot be vaccinated . my two grandchildren recently picked up covid from daycare . A one year old and a three year old . It took them a long time to recover and no one was allowed to go anywhere including Airbnbs for a very long time . I personally have also had covid and would not work at the Airbnb during that time at all . I will follow the rules and over follow the rules because I think lives are more valuable than my right to take a casual attitude.H

Cherie71
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

Update with no resolution:

March 29, 2022 - The guest writes on the message board they will have to cancel because they are unwilling to comply with the House Rules.

On the same day I explain where on the page they can hit the cancel button, if they have difficulty, they can contact AIRBNB for help.  

They write back (seems obvious they did contact Airbnb) if I would forgo my Strict Cancelation Policy.  I say no. 

They do nothing.

I do make the offer discussed earlier in this thread. They reject the offer.

Meanwhile, Airbnb Support contacts me to say the guest has contacted them and wants to cancel but wants me to forgo my cancelation policy.  That the guest would like their money to book another property. The message also says that I have until April 21 at 6:45 a.m. to contact Airbnb.  I contact them immediately (in writing) to say I will be maintaining the Strict Cancelation Policy and will not be giving a refund.  Keep in mind, by this time it has been nearly another month they've kept my calendar blocked.

Airbnb writes back thanking me and saying they understand the guest is subject to the Strict Cancellation Policy of 50% and they will inform the guest.

Meanwhile, I've sent the guest the link as to how to cancel.

My calendar remained blocked by this reservation so I wrote to Airbnb support again detailing the history. April 20. I get this message: Your guest’s reservation isn’t eligible for a full refund under your cancellation policy, but if you both have agreed on an additional refund, you can send them a link and ask them to start a request.

Then the message goes on to say they've sent the guest the link on cancelation. Nothing.

I asked for a real CS person to respond to the issue. A few hours later I receive a message from a Jinky G. who says she is sending my message to someone who is in a better position to resolve the issue.

That message was 6 days ago. Nothing.  

I wrote to CS again today.  

I agree with another Host here that this guest has been manipulating the system in hopes I will have to refund them their entire rental fee.  As a rant - this is a major company.  What major company doesn't read the contract before signing?  

On my end - Airbnb is enabling the guest when Airbnb, in their own writing, admits the guest is not due a full refund but continues to block my calendar to the detriment of my rental business, but also to the detriment of the guest.  

Cherie71
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

HOW HOW HOW to get Airbnb Support to respond?  

I've explained the situation in the last message BUT today I attempt to call and get disconnected. I write a NEW ticket as I've seen suggested on these forum postings and get a message - I am sending this to someone else 'crap' - we respond within 24 hours.  Seriously?!  It has been 7 days since a CS said they would respond.

Is there another method?

RANT -RANT-RANT

I just spoke, finally to a CS person.  He was great up until the time he said the guest is 'negotiating' with Airbnb to get a full refund.

This is after AIRBNB told us our cancellation policy would apply - over and over and over.

What negotiating?  The guest wrote they were canceling! They haven't followed any of the House Rules -third-party reservation, etc. etc.

The CS says - another Ambassador is handling this...then why has no one written or called me? It has been a MONTH!!!  

Even when calling today, Airbnb's phone system asks you to tap in the dates of the reservation 0601 - message keeps coming back to me that there is no reservation for those dates!  I finally hit the 0 button to get someone to talk to me.

If Airbnb's own system doesn't show the reservation, why do they have my calendar blocked?!

Cherie71
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

After one month - yes - one month - of the guest canceling their reservation but not hitting the 'cancel' button and numerous messages to Airbnb and a phone call - confirming my cancelation policy but continuing to block my calendar...

This morning, Airbnb finally noted I will be getting the 50% cancelation fee and removed the block from my calendar.

This should never happen to a host.  I repeat - a MONTH!