I was scammed in Airbnb by a Host

I was scammed in Airbnb by a Host

I have been robbed $1,040 dollars via Airbnb platform. I booked a place in Hadera Israel ( Host) on March 5th, 2022 at 8 pm. I had an urgent situation so I was forced to book.
*host name* shared his phone details and he started contacting me via Whatssapp. I had no idea this is not allowed.
Later I found a better place, and I cancelled the booking on March 6th noon, meaning I booked the place for less than 20 hours.
I tried contacting the Host, requesting a refund. He didn't reply to me in a week.
I did contact your customer service, to try to sort out the situation, and chatted with someone. The representative said that*host name* is the only one that can process the refund as you have some policies that won't allow Airbnb. He tried to contact *host name* with no response. The representative offered me a discount.
I contacted my credit card company if there was anything I could do. They mentioned I needed to do it through Airbnb.
As actually*host name* started a conversation via WhatsApp on March 5th, I was forced to contact him yesterday via WhatsApp and phone. He actually replied and said we would do all the communication via the Airbnb chat. We did discuss the situation and*host name* insisted his hands are tided because of Airbnb policy. The representative said*host name* could refund if he wanted and*host name* says that Airbnb policies won't allow him to refund.*host name* also offered me a discount.
I later requested the representative to give me the opportunity to add a review, as Yoni simply cheated me and I want to add the review and the representative wrote it is not possible.
Some policies are in place, but the reality is that I was scammed . I want to talk to someone, do something about this as*host name* and Airbnb have been simply minimizing the problem here.
 I feel robbed and cheated and Airbnb supports this behavior with some policies set in place that make no sense.
Thanks in advance!

Carolina

*identifying personal information hidden*

46 Replies 46
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

well, @Carolina-Alejandra3 you wrote a post, commented x times but you still didn't say a few important facts:

- what cancelation policy does your host have?

- how long before check-in you have booked and canceled?

- was it a short or long-term (28 nights or more) reservation?

You either have no idea or you think this is not relevant or you hide this information because you know you are not right. Either way, it seems to me you are one of those guests who book without reading anything and then complain because they didn't get what they assumed they will. 

Hosts before me gave you the link where you can check all policies and what refund you can expect in case of cancelation. Read it so you don't make twice the same mistake.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

After reading this active thread here, I have noticed that the conversation has started to become quite personal. I have, therefore, decided to close this topic. 

@Carolina-Alejandra3 please refer to our Non-discrimination Policy. Our policy doesn’t allow for discrimination based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, disability, gender or sex.

Thanks,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen