Ideas For Helping Ukrainian Hosts

Peter1
Host Advisory Board Alumni
SF, CA

Ideas For Helping Ukrainian Hosts

Today, I heard that some Superhosts are using their Airbnb credits to book Ukrainian listings to help out Hosts there so they can still get some income even though those Superhosts had no plans on visiting Ukraine.

In these desperate times for our fellow Hosts in Ukraine, what can we do to help out our fellow Hosts in that country?

21 Replies 21
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Peter1 There is a thread on this community centre where many hosts have used their vouchers to book accommodation in Ukraine. There are also some lovely responses from the Ukranian hosts on there.

What else can we do?

@Helen3 Suggested that Airbnb could cut their service fee to zero for Ukranian hosts. Perhaps as a HAB member you could ask them to do this

We can publicise what hosts are doing - Do you have any contacts in the media?

Finally, as suggested in the original thread, this does not need to be limited to Superhosts. Anyone can use their money to book a stay in Ukraine. Sadly, at present, Airbnb would take 20% of this gesture but that is probably no worse (actually could be better) than using other charitable methods.

For me the hosts responses suggest that the fact people are thinking about them is just as important as the financial side of these actions.

If anyone actually capable of using a computer could add a link from the original thread into this response it would be appreciated!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Peter1 

I posted about this earlier this week (will link to thread when at my laptop .

please can you use your influence as an HAB member to ask Airbnb not to charge Ukrainian hosts fees for bookings made during the conflict .

Could you also ask Airbnb to help us promote this initiative on their website /through social media .

I asked Catherine earlier this week but sadly no response so far . 

@Helen3 Simulating a Ukranian booking it now shows zero service fee. Hopefully I didn't just pick properties where the host pays the fee! It appears that miracles do happen - Now we just need Airbnb to advertise the initiative and also, more importantly, for the Ukrainians to continue to hold out.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes they have covered the story of the public booking stays with Ukraine hosts but not the story of hosts donating their vouchers/donating money for bookings @Anonymous 

Peter1
SF, CA

So happy to hear that Airbnb is waiving fees for Ukrainian bookings, and is offering free housing to 100,000 refugees from Ukraine.  According to this CNN video interview with CEO Brian Chesky, Airbnb will follow up with reconsidering its relationship with Russia:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2022/03/02/brian-chesky-airbnb-ukraine-refugees-gr-orig.cnn/vide...

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Can the HAB work with Airbnb to co-ordinate hosts donating vouchers/money in the form of bookings. If hosts and public could search to see how they can make bookings with Ukraine hosts who haven't yet received bookings that would be amazing. @Peter1 

Peter1
SF, CA

Great idea, Helen3.  Thankfully, this is now getting a lot of press and the word is getting out:

https://www.today.com/news/ukraine-airbnb-money-booking-rcna18507

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thanks @Peter1  can you let us know how the Host Advisory Board can help hosts who want to help by booking accommodation in Ukraine and along the borders by encouraging Airbnb to co-ordinate our efforts. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone, 

Just wanted to chip in to confirm that Airbnb is temporarily waiving guest and Host fees on bookings in Ukraine at this time, as I mentioned here earlier. 

It's been truly inspiring to read how the community is supporting each other, as well as all your ideas. 🙂

Emilie 

@Peter1 @Anonymous @Mike-And-Jane0 @Helen3 

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Do we have confirmation that those hosts are able to collect the money? Many banks are closed right now. It is a brilliant idea to use the credits 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would have thought so it's the Russian banks which are closed I believe rather than the Ukraine ones @Inna22 

It would be great if you could share this idea on any US groups you are part of?

Helen 

@Helen3 I am worried that banks are physically closed in the war zone. They should all have debit cards though, it is common there, and it sounds like it’s not an issue

Peter1
SF, CA

Hopefully, Ukrainian Hosts can also use PayPal to receive money and pay for goods and services.