Impossibly low rates

Answered!

Impossibly low rates

I am looking for a two month stay in the Philippines. I see some really nice places listed for a rate of say $20. I asked a host if this price was real. She told me that it had to do with pricing issues. What is the deal with this?

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Steve3314  Sometimes a host is new to hosting and doesn't have their pricing set up correctly. There are discounts set by default on new listings which need to be turned off if the host doesn't want them, but they don't realize it until their listing is live and they start getting inquiries or bookings at a much lower price than they intended. 

They may also have set a monthly discount themselves without knowing that discounts are cumulative, not exclusive. So they set a monthly discount that is, say, 30% off the nightly price, but the new listing discount gets added to it, so suddenly they realize the guest has been shown a 50% discount price. 

There are also platform tech glitches which even experienced hosts can encounter. Suddenly their pricing changes on its own. 

If you have an idea of what a reasonable rate would be for the type of listing you are looking for in the area, then I would ignore the listings which seem to be too cheap to be believed, and only inquire about the ones that sound like they are for real, so you don't waste your time.

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Steve3314  Sometimes a host is new to hosting and doesn't have their pricing set up correctly. There are discounts set by default on new listings which need to be turned off if the host doesn't want them, but they don't realize it until their listing is live and they start getting inquiries or bookings at a much lower price than they intended. 

They may also have set a monthly discount themselves without knowing that discounts are cumulative, not exclusive. So they set a monthly discount that is, say, 30% off the nightly price, but the new listing discount gets added to it, so suddenly they realize the guest has been shown a 50% discount price. 

There are also platform tech glitches which even experienced hosts can encounter. Suddenly their pricing changes on its own. 

If you have an idea of what a reasonable rate would be for the type of listing you are looking for in the area, then I would ignore the listings which seem to be too cheap to be believed, and only inquire about the ones that sound like they are for real, so you don't waste your time.