Last Minute Review

Kaitlin50
Level 3
North Carolina, United States

Last Minute Review

I had a cancellation after the guest checked in and saw my husband and kids playing in the yard. The listing clearly states it is on the same property as our home, and the outdoor space is shared. (It is on a 28 acre farm) She admitted, “I know you said the outdoor space is shared, but this is too much!” I was dumbfounded, as I’ve never had a cancellation after check-in, and never had a guest march up to my husband, yelling at him for a refund. When I talked to the guest myself, I told her I wasn’t sure if Airbnb would allow her a full refund after check in, I honestly didn’t know if they keep the fees, or what. She said, “Ohhhhhh yes they do! I’ve done this before” and that, my fellow hosts, is why I feel compelled to leave a “last minute review.” She had all perfect reviews, I didn’t see it coming, but she’s clearly done this more than once. I was shocked, and hurt, to be honest. I asked Airbnb to give her a full refund, so I believe I’ve done my duty to her. 

All that to say, does anyone know how to get it down to almost the minute? The first email asking me to review was sent at 5:40pm my time. I only received one email, and usually I receive many. The time will be up sometime today, and it no longer says how much time is left, but does still give me the option to review. 

Thanks for your help. Just a host trying to look out for other hosts. 

20 Replies 20

@Kaitlin50 

Ugh, that's horrible. Would you mind posting the review here? Maybe we can guess as to why it was removed?

Kaitlin50
Level 3

Thank you. The only thing I could think is maybe mentioning my conclusion that she’s done this before? The removal of the review only furthers my suspicion..

Here’s the review, I removed her name:

Hosts beware. /name removed/ and her friend were extremely rude. They canceled their booking for reasons that were clearly stated in the listing. She even admitted she knew that listing stated the outdoor space was shared. She was offended that my family was playing in our large shared 28 acre property? She asked to cancel about an hour after checking in. I’ve never had anything like this happen in two years of hosting. I was genuinely confused on whether or not Airbnb allowed a full refund in this situation. She assured me they would, because she has done this before! Clearly she has made a habit of this, and continues to do it. She also complained about “dirty windows” and “a mess in the bottom of the fridge” there were two tiny spots in the bottom of the fridge. Unless you want to have a cancellation for things clearly stated in the listing, and an extremely picky guest I would avoid this guest, and the company she brings.

If I’m deeply analyzing this, I think she either didn’t read our listing (which mentions twice the outdoor space is shared) or she could be harboring some racism. I initially (while masked) welcomed her to the home and unlocked the list for her. I’m as white as can be. She didn’t say a word at that time. It was about an hour later when she came out and specifically targeted my husband, who is a person of color. I certainly didn’t accuse her of that via message and of course left it out of the review.  I hope it’s not the case, but this whole situation has been befuddling to me.

@Kaitlin50   I don't know if it would have made a difference, seeing as how Airbnb panders to guests, but you shouldn't have speculated on whether she has done this before. I would just have written a review saying the guest cancelled shortly after arrival, the reason given that she objected to seeing your husband and child playing outside, when your listing ad makes it perfectly clear that you live on the property and that outside space is shared.

And yes, I would also suspect this was a case of racism, but you can't know that for sure, so not much to be done about it.

Perhaps you should change your profile photo to one of you and your husband, so bigots won't book with you.

@Kaitlin50 I agreewith @Sarah977, Airbnb policy is so randomly enforced that it's impossible to know whether changing any of the wording would have made any difference, but in your shoes I would have left out the speculation about the guest's frame of mind and previous/future actions and stuck purely to the indisputable events-- no "she was offended" or "clearly she has made a habit of this, and continues to do it"

Sorry this happened to you!

Kaitlin50
Level 3

The story continues, y’all! 😆 I went out on a limb, and contacted Airbnb. I’ve seen far more “colorful” reviews stay up, for both host and guest, so I reached out for clarification and argued that Airbnb boasts “clear and honest” reviews. I’m happy to report they sided with me, and reinstated the review! Maybe the message is, be persistent? My faith is renewed in Airbnb’s support of hosts.

I blocked the guest, so hopefully that will stop her continued messages to me. I also changed my profile picture 👍

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kaitlin50  Congratulations!  Yes, I've always said the 3 "P's" of navigating through CS are politeness, patience, and persistence. And as you did, using the terms that they use, quoting their own policies to them,  like "clear and honest reviews", helps.

Now I'm gonna go read that review 🙂